RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
iPhone 4 Signal Issues Press Conference

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Page Addressing the Issue - Press Conference

• It depends on where you are, the network, the signal strength, and the algorithms which the bars are displayed based on, which is why some people have issues and some don't.
  • Customer satisfaction with the iPhone 4 is higher than the 3Gs, and the return rate is substantially lower.
  • Out of every 100 calls that are made, only less than one more are dropped on the iPhone 4 when compared to the 3Gs.
  • The 4.0.1 update addressed the faulty algorithms that were used to display the bars, which made the signal loss seem more dramatic than it really was.
  • The iPhone 4 has a distinguishable area that pinpoints exactly where the weak spot is, which is why it's so easy to reproduce when trying.
Action
  • If you don't want the iPhone 4, don't get it.
  • Whether you have an issue or not, you get a free case which prevents this from happening if you hold it in a certain way that covers the antenna in some locations.
  • If you're still unsatisfied, you can get a full refund.

Personally, this doesn't matter to me at all. I don't own an iPhone 4 and probably won't any time soon, and I wouldn't even cover the bottom left part of the phone. (I don't even cover the bottom right part of the phone) In fact, even if I were left handed, I'd be less inclined to touch the bottom left at all, because since the iPhone 4 isn't rounded, I'd have a much more steady grip on it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:32:13 PM by Irock »

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Wow. Nobody even mentioned this, and you're already blindly defending Apple as if they did.

Anyway, I find this video to be very scientific and unbiased, and everyone interested in an iPhone should see it.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_f2wjBbCw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_f2wjBbCw</a>

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll

I didn't defend Apple at all in my post. I restated what was said at the press conference today, as my title would suggest. The only part I put my own thoughts into were in the bottom two sentences where I stated that this doesn't really matter to me much at all, that I don't have an iPhone 4 and that I wouldn't hold it that way anyway. My original post was meant to provide information on a popular tecnology-related topic to both inform and evoke discussion, and the latter part of it was going to be my own personal thoughts.

Regardless, none of the data Consumer Reports has released contradicts anything in my post or anything Apple has said. In fact, it goes along with what was stated. There's an issue with the iPhone 4 where you lose some signal strength if you cover the bottom left band, and there are people who haven't experienced the problem because it depends on your location and signal strength.

Oh god, sorry, I just blindly defended Apple. Golly gee I just can't control myself.

Oh and if I palm the back of my Samsung phone I lose three bars.

Oh lawd I just can't control myself there I go again blindly defending Apple by stating facts.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
they see me trollan.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE

Rep:
Level 96
Whatever you say, Irock. It's just that your post looks like EXACTLY what you would post if someone had said "haha, ihpone 4 sucks and has reception issues." It just sounds incredibly defensive.

And I wasn't posting the Consumer Reports link to contradict you whatsoever. Rather, just to share information that either forgot, didn't know, or neglected to share in your first post. I think it's interesting how scientifically they approached the issue, and how they actually ran tests to prove it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:41:39 PM by Arlen »

Rep:
Level 102
Because the press conference was defensive. Durr dee dum.

Rep:
Level 96
Quote from: any person
The new iPhone sucks, it drops calls and shit. Why would anyone buy this crappy phone?

• It depends on where you are, the network, the signal strength, and the algorithms which the bars are displayed based on, which is why some people have issues and some don't.
  • Customer satisfaction with the iPhone 4 is higher than the 3Gs, and the return rate is substantially lower.
  • Out of every 100 calls that are made, only less than one more are dropped on the iPhone 4 when compared to the 3Gs.
  • The 4.0.1 update addressed the faulty algorithms that were used to display the bars, which made the signal loss seem more dramatic than it really was.
  • The iPhone 4 has a distinguishable area that pinpoints exactly where the weak spot is, which is why it's so easy to reproduce when trying.
Action
  • If you don't want the iPhone 4, don't get it.
  • Whether you have an issue or not, you get a free case which prevents this from happening if you hold it in a certain way that covers the antenna in some locations.
  • If you're still unsatisfied, you can get a full refund.

Personally, this doesn't matter to me at all. I don't own an iPhone 4 and probably won't any time soon, and I wouldn't even cover the bottom left part of the phone. (I don't even cover the bottom right part of the phone) In fact, even if I were left handed, I'd be less inclined to touch the bottom left at all, because since the iPhone 4 isn't rounded, I'd have a much more steady grip on it.

I just calls them like I sees them.

Rep:
Level 102
You should get your vision checked, sir. You sees them wrong.

Rep:
Level 96
Alright, look. I wasn't even trying to start an argument in this thread. I was a.) pointing out how it appeared as if you were defending Apple's new iPhone AS IF someone had said "they suck" to you. I STILL see it. It's funny. Beyond that, it doesn't matter. It doesn't change my opinion of you. I wasn't trying to start a fight. b.) I was providing additional, unbiased (NOT SAYING YOU AREN'T UNBIASED DISCLAIMER) information about what exactly the issue was with the new iPhones.

If I came off as argumentative, sorry, that wasn't my intention. If I did anyway, I'm in a bad mood today, so deal with it.

That is all.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Stop arguing with everyone Arlen.

Rep:
Level 96
YOU WANNA START SOMETHIN

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
I have to agree with Leber here. Every time i've held an iPhone I hold it at the bottom because I don't tap the thing at the top like someone wearing combat boots playing DDR, and such don't need the back resistance of my hand. Ergo, doing so would wrap my fingers around the left side and cover the metal antenna spot. The whole 'NOBODY HOLDS IT LIKE THIS BECAUSE I DON'T AND THEREFORE I REPRESENT EVERYONE' seems like the worst argument here.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

Rep:
Level 102
I have to agree with Leber here. Every time i've held an iPhone I hold it at the bottom because I don't tap the thing at the top like someone wearing combat boots playing DDR, and such don't need the back resistance of my hand. Ergo, doing so would wrap my fingers around the left side and cover the metal antenna spot. The whole 'NOBODY HOLDS IT LIKE THIS BECAUSE I DON'T AND THEREFORE I REPRESENT EVERYONE' seems like the worst argument here.
Nobody's making that argument.

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE

Rep:
Level 102
You really think "Personally, this doesn't matter to me at all. I don't own an iPhone 4 and probably won't any time soon, and I wouldn't even cover the bottom left part of the phone. (I don't even cover the bottom right part of the phone) In fact, even if I were left handed, I'd be less inclined to touch the bottom left at all, because since the iPhone 4 isn't rounded, I'd have a much more steady grip on it." means "NOBODY HOLDS IT LIKE THIS BECAUSE I DON'T AND THEREFORE I REPRESENT EVERYONE"?

Think about this for a second.

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Well that is the only post that resembles a 'NOBODY HOLDS IT LIKE THIS BECAUSE I DON'T AND THEREFORE I REPRESENT EVERYONE' argument.

Though when arlen posts his opinion of your post you act as though he is being argumentative.

Yet your opinion is just that.

Also this thread was destined to end up like this, rmrk should have a no posting about apple rule, or it's own board  :=:

Rep:
Level 102
Well that is the only post that resembles a 'NOBODY HOLDS IT LIKE THIS BECAUSE I DON'T AND THEREFORE I REPRESENT EVERYONE' argument.

Though when arlen posts his opinion of your post you act as though he is being argumentative.

Yet your opinion is just that.

Also this thread was destined to end up like this, rmrk should have a no posting about apple rule, or it's own board
It's the closest thing that resembles that argument, yet it isn't that argument, or even an argument at all. :)

I didn't post my opinion. I went over what Steve Jobs and Apple said and stated the fact that I don't grip the phone like that and I don't own an iPhone 4 so none of this has an effect on me. Arlen then said I was blindly defending Apple in my post, which wasn't the truth at all, so I clarified.

Perhaps some of you people should stop going apeshit whenever something Apple-related is posted. This thread is to inform people of what happened at Apple's recent press conference, get opinions, and start reasonable discussions, not spawn idiotic arguments about whether the original post was an argument or not.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I dont have this problem one bit, though I will be applying for a free case ;]
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
"If you don't want the iPhone 4, don't get it."

How does that start reasonable discussion? That's not an inviting statement, that's a punctuation mark that strangles conversation with a "well f*** you, then".

Rep:
Level 102
You should ask the person who created the video Apple played at the start of their press conference, which is the reason I stated it in my recap of the press conference.

It's a basic idea that as a consumer, you don't have to buy something you don't like. Does this idea anger you and prevent you from having any sort of reasonable discussion without blowing up, Arrow?

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I should mention though, my mom's phone couldn't even find a signal when she got it. Though atnt exchanged it and her replacement is just fine.

Everyone should exaggerate issues more often to the point companies offer free products ;]
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
You should ask the person who created the video Apple played at the start of their press conference, which is the reason I stated it in my recap of the press conference.

It's a basic idea that as a consumer, you don't have to buy something you don't like. Does this idea anger you and prevent you from having any sort of reasonable discussion without blowing up, Arrow?

Am I to understand you're insinuating that I am blowing up? If you're referring to what I think you are, then I must say that you're taking the decidedly low road. Either way, I'm out of this topic, I really could care less about that lunatic Steve Jobs.