RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest ideas wanted

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
i'm making a quest system in my game (an RPG) ,in which the player can get some extra money and experience.
but i need some ideas for quests so i like to ask you all to post your ideas here ,any ideas would be appriciated (ideas that i'll use will be put in credits of my game ^^)

Form:
The Quest name:
What do you have to do(optional, in steps):
(exemple:get the potion , give the potion to.....)
What you get as reward (optional):
Discription:
(exemple: jack has no more potions and wants you to go get him some....)
If you can fail it and how (optional, if not mentioned it has no fail conditions):

Taken ideas:
Spoiler for:
moobob9
Spoiler for:
How about......Water is not being produced in the wells of a city. You are sent into the sewers to investigate what the problem is. It turns out that some kind of monster is causing some kind of trouble in the sewers, and you have to stop him. You must track down and fight the quickly moving monster (my idea is that you make a large sewer and make the monster walk "very quickly" randomly through the sewer). You fight the monster. Now all you have to do is fix the system that gets water to the wells of the city (that part you can figure out how to do =D). You fix the system, return to your city and claim your reward!
I hope that that's a good quest idea!
Kyriaki
Spoiler for:
Hmm, ok how about this! Even though it's technically a fetch quest...

The Quest name: The Littlest Mermaid

Description: A mother is frantic over her little girl that loves swimming hasn't come yet, she should be at the river and the player has to go find her!

What do you have to do:
1. Find the girl at a set point at the top of the river, the player showing up in the nick of time to see her scream for help before beginning to be swept down river.
2. A timer starts and the player has to follow her down river, the girl stopping every now and then because of logs, rocks, or simply clutching to the side of the river - at this point the player has a chance to try and get her but only within a few seconds window before she continues down river. (If they cannot do so, see fail.)
3. The player returns to the village with the girl, or is automatically transferred to the mother's house!

What you get as reward: An Item that stops timers or even a Skill that inflicts a state that stops weaker monster from acting for a number of turns.

If you can fail it and how: If you don't save her in the allotted amount of time, the village shuns you, shops become inaccessible or far too expensive at that point in the game, etc. So it's not a sad quest, maybe you can put a clause that you run into her later in the wilderness and can take her back after all and get super discounts and praise ^^! But not the original reward, just to keep a reason to complete it the correct way.
Honenya (gave me more of an idea like make them be friends or let them work together , instead of killing eachother (my character is not an assasin ^^) )
Spoiler for:
How about you do a rivalry like quest.

You know, where there is a rivaling inn and the one with the lesser business wants you to take out the bigger business, and when the time comes for you to kill the rival, you make the rival bribe you by offering double the reward of the original quest guy.

It's always fun to do this, for an evil-good twist ^^.
liberty
Spoiler for:
The Quest name: Marriage Mayhem
A longer quest.
Spoiler for:
What do you have to do:
- Chase the sister
- Chase the ring
- Find the older sister
- Mini-game/puzzle to distract monster
- Kill monster

What you get as reward:

If you fail you get a stat increase at the wedding feast and perhaps the chance to help the younger sister find love later on down the track.
If you don't fail you get an invite to the wedding (down the track a larger stat increase), the weapon the husband to be didn't need to use and the chance to make folks happy.

Description:
ELDER SISTER: Mary*
YOUNGER SISTER: July*
HUSBAND TO BE: Mike*
Two sisters, Mary is getting married in a few days to Mike, a man the younger sister, July, supposedly hates. July steals the wedding ring, hoping it'll stop the wedding, and runs off. You're asked to find her and bring her back - Mary seems more worried about little sister than the ring/wedding. So you chase July around town and finally corner her near a well, where she throws in the ring, then runs off again. You head down the well and have to chase the floating ring through a series of underground rivers until you catch it. You also find an old love letter from July to Mike.

When you get back you find July really worried as Mary is missing (went to look for July) and Mike has gone looking for her. You go looking for them (July 'joins' your group/entourage forcibly) and eventually find Mary trapped by a monster. You have a certain amount of time to use long range puzzle attacks to annoy it (throw rocks, sticks, arrows etc to 'fill' a distraction bar/gauge). If you don't (NOT FAIL) then July sneaks by and distracts it, but is attacked. Mike jumps in front and protects her but gets injured.

You kill the monster and Mike admits that he is really in love with July and that the marriage was designed by him and Mary to get her jealous/see if she still loved him. Wedding is called off and both sisters are happy.

If you do distract it (FAIL) then it attacks you and you fight it. Mike finally turns up and deals the killing blow. July agrees to allow the wedding, saying that she can see Mike really loves Mary. You stay for the wedding (stat gains?) and find the next day that July's left town during the night.

If you can fail it and how:
The failure is that neither sisters are happy with the marriage as Mike was July's ex that she still loved and for Mary was helping Mike test her sisters love for him, which backfired. She and he felt obligated to continue the marriage.

*Feel free to change. Just there for identifying purposes.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:29:01 AM by Mitsarugi »

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
How about......Water is not being produced in the wells of a city. You are sent into the sewers to investigate what the problem is. It turns out that some kind of monster is causing some kind of trouble in the sewers, and you have to stop him. You must track down and fight the quickly moving monster (my idea is that you make a large sewer and make the monster walk "very quickly" randomly through the sewer). You fight the monster. Now all you have to do is fix the system that gets water to the wells of the city (that part you can figure out how to do =D). You fix the system, return to your city and claim your reward!

I hope that that's a good quest idea!
..........|¯•¸_¸,.•”ˆ¯....Thundercow....¯ˆ“•.,¸_¸•¯|..........
¯•_¹ˆ¯•ˆ¯¯±¸_Thunderclan WÅrrÏØr_¸±¯¯ˆ•¯ˆ²_•¯

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
hmmm... i like your idea, it's a good one i'll put it in my game (and put you in my credits ofcourse ^^, i put that username or did you have an other one in mind?)

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
moobob9 is fine, thanks!
..........|¯•¸_¸,.•”ˆ¯....Thundercow....¯ˆ“•.,¸_¸•¯|..........
¯•_¹ˆ¯•ˆ¯¯±¸_Thunderclan WÅrrÏØr_¸±¯¯ˆ•¯ˆ²_•¯

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
You will die with honor...
Perhaps a widow loses her ring or something.

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
You have to go fetch something.

^^^--- I expect this to comprise 75% of your questing.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
You have to go fetch something.

^^^--- I expect this to comprise 75% of your questing.

I hope not.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
About 90% of quests in RPGs ---> Either:
1. Fetch something for an NPC
2. Kill a certain monster/piece of scenery/person.
3. Go to a certain place (sometimes this is a quest in itself.)

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween

Obviously this one has never played Tales of Phantasia.

Help this Mitsarugi person by suggesting something that isn't one of those.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

which gets old and boring FAST

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke

Well, there is a 10% error margin, but whatever...

Uhh, let's see.... collect a certain number of-- damn.
Go and kill a thief that is terrorising-- damn.

Try and minimise the fallout of a conflict between two nobles with some clever mediation via a party/piece of capital that is important to both of them... or kill one of them.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween

Well, there is a 10% error margin, but whatever...

Withdrawn. And yeah, that does sound alright, though a bit major for a small sidequest.

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
It can be a long Mage's-Guild-In-Oblivion esque "sidequest".

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
the thing about quests is that while you're doing mostly the same things over and over again, you can go about doing them in interesting ways.

What is more interesting
> go kill Loki and 30 of his followers
or
> HELP THE GOD OF THUNDER STORM THE TERRACE AND TAKE DOWN LOKI AND HIS FOLLOWERS
( where said god proceeds to show up and you go on a rampage )

Rep:
Level 83
All that you know is at an end...
Alright, I think I've got an idea that doesn't involve killing or gathering stupid things.

The player, while exploring, walks into a house, and into a crime scene. One of the officers recognizes the character, and asks him/her for help. The player is then locked in the house, and must talk to all the people involved in the murder, as well as examine rooms in the house for clues, sort of like playing the game clue. Each NPC has multiple choice options and the player must deduce who is lying in order to figure out who is the killer. For multiple playthroughs, you could randomize who actually committed the crime. Rewards could vary depending on who you pin the murder on, and whether they actually did it or not.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Alright, I think I've got an idea that doesn't involve killing or gathering stupid things.

The player, while exploring, walks into a house, and into a crime scene. One of the officers recognizes the character, and asks him/her for help. The player is then locked in the house, and must talk to all the people involved in the murder, as well as examine rooms in the house for clues, sort of like playing the game clue. Each NPC has multiple choice options and the player must deduce who is lying in order to figure out who is the killer. For multiple playthroughs, you could randomize who actually committed the crime. Rewards could vary depending on who you pin the murder on, and whether they actually did it or not.

if you randomize who did it you have to randomize the clues too.

Rep:
Level 83
All that you know is at an end...

if you randomize who did it you have to randomize the clues too.

Yeah, I forgot to add that part. It could work, though.

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
i see that you all have ideas but what i would like to see are ideas in the form like CursedBlackWolf gave.
althought it's more of a quest for a detective game ^^ but it's a good one, and my game is an RPG (lol R-P-G maker XD )
i like NAMKCOR idea:
What is more interesting
> go kill Loki and 30 of his followers
or
> HELP THE Cthulhu OF THUNDER STORM THE TERRACE AND TAKE DOWN LOKI AND HIS FOLLOWERS
( where said Cthulhu proceeds to show up and you go on a rampage )

try telling your idea the same way as CursedBlackWolf did ^^
And Mikhail Faulken i have a fetch quest (play fetch with a dog XD)
but if you have any other ideas what to fetch plz tell me.
i need as much of ideas as possible so that i have some quests to do for the player ^^
i'll add a form for posting your quests in the firts post :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:41:20 AM by Mitsarugi »

Rep:
Level 80
RMRK Junior
How about you do a rivalry like quest.

You know, where there is a rivaling inn and the one with the lesser business wants you to take out the bigger business, and when the time comes for you to kill the rival, you make the rival bribe you by offering double the reward of the original quest guy.

It's always fun to do this, for an evil-good twist ^^.

Rep:
Level 79

Description: A mother is frantic over her little girl that loves swimming hasn't come yet, she should be at the river and the player has to go find her!

What do you have to do:
1. Find the girl at a set point at the top of the river, the player showing up in the nick of time to see her scream for help before beginning to be swept down river.
2. A timer starts and the player has to follow her down river, the girl stopping every now and then because of logs, rocks, or simply clutching to the side of the river - at this point the player has a chance to try and get her but only within a few seconds window before she continues down river. (If they cannot do so, see fail.)
3. The player returns to the village with the girl, or is automatically transferred to the mother's house!

What you get as reward: An Item that stops timers or even a Skill that inflicts a state that stops weaker monster from acting for a number of turns.

If you can fail it and how: If you don't save her in the allotted amount of time, the village shuns you, shops become inaccessible or far too expensive at that point in the game, etc. So it's not a sad quest, maybe you can put a clause that you run into her later in the wilderness and can take her back after all and get super discounts and praise ^^! But not the original reward, just to keep a reason to complete it the correct way.
.: Current Project :.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I wasn't giving you an idea, I was showing an example of how to spice up tired boring quest mechanics.

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
I wasn't giving you an idea, I was showing an example of how to spice up tired boring quest mechanics.

^^ lol yeah i figured that out when i read your post a second time :p
but would you have an idea maybe? knowing that you know which kind of idea would be boring, you should have an idea for a good quest no? ^^

@Kyriaki -  taken, it's a good one , now i'll have to see how to event it ^^
any other good ideas? :3

Rep:
Level 80
RMRK Junior

What do you have to do:

Good idea having the game continue when you fail a quest! I do that lots too XD!

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Quest Name: Lover's Lane Exposed

Somewhat of a basic quest.
The character or whatever randomly stumbles upon a beautiful place, and getting dazed by the light and sparklies (I had nothing else to add to something beautiful) the entrance behind them get closed. Magic, Swords, Axes, Guns, etc. Can't penetrate it, having no choice the character has to explore deeper into the place and eventually find two people pinned to trees by the same thing blocking the entrance, with their last breathe they tell you if you can pass the trees test (which could be fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, a murder scene) or something random you see the two bodies disappear and as you're leaving you find the two lovers were Adam and Eve or something who had become pinned to the trees of sin for tainting the world or something. Then as the memory ends, you escape back to the world and the blocked entrance is gone, nothing is left but trees leading to the ocean or something. The only thing left is the scent the world has left upon you, and the memories given to you, and you can get some random items, spells, or something.

Just something made up on the spot, so sorry if its not as detailed as you might want its just something basic that you could probably (and should) change up to make it better.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
but would you have an idea maybe? knowing that you know which kind of idea would be boring, you should have an idea for a good quest no? ^^

If I had ideas, I'd be making my own game.