RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest ideas wanted

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
Quest Name: Lover's Lane Exposed

Somewhat of a basic quest.
The character or whatever randomly stumbles upon a beautiful place, and getting dazed by the light and sparklies (I had nothing else to add to something beautiful) the entrance behind them get closed. Magic, Swords, Axes, Guns, etc. Can't penetrate it, having no choice the character has to explore deeper into the place and eventually find two people pinned to trees by the same thing blocking the entrance, with their last breathe they tell you if you can pass the trees test (which could be fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, a murder scene) or something random you see the two bodies disappear and as you're leaving you find the two lovers were Adam and Eve or something who had become pinned to the trees of sin for tainting the world or something. Then as the memory ends, you escape back to the world and the blocked entrance is gone, nothing is left but trees leading to the ocean or something. The only thing left is the scent the world has left upon you, and the memories given to you, and you can get some random items, spells, or something.

Just something made up on the spot, so sorry if its not as detailed as you might want its just something basic that you could probably (and should) change up to make it better.

not much of a quest, i think it's more of a scene in the game ^^
but thanks for posting and trying to help me find some ideas :)

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
bump

common people there should be more ideas then that.

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter

Rep:
Level 91
Why not make a trap maze and force the player to go through it?
Simply build a maze of walls, put some fog around to make it a bit trickier I suppose.
Make some traps, like rolling boulders triggering in dead ends, spikes triggering every 5 seconds using a para event and so on.
The goal of course it to reach the end and get the extremely important cake, then heading back without dying and of course it has to be done in X time so the cake won't get spoiled.
holy shit my sig was big!

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
Why not make a trap maze and force the player to go through it?
Simply build a maze of walls, put some fog around to make it a bit trickier I suppose.
Make some traps, like rolling boulders triggering in dead ends, spikes triggering every 5 seconds using a para event and so on.
The goal of course it to reach the end and get the extremely important cake, then heading back without dying and of course it has to be done in X time so the cake won't get spoiled.

O.o cake ?
XD loooooooool
funny idea :)

Rep:
Level 81
Yo!
The Quest name: Marriage Mayhem
A longer quest.
Spoiler for:
What do you have to do:
- Chase the sister
- Chase the ring
- Find the older sister
- Mini-game/puzzle to distract monster
- Kill monster

What you get as reward:

If you fail you get a stat increase at the wedding feast and perhaps the chance to help the younger sister find love later on down the track.
If you don't fail you get an invite to the wedding (down the track a larger stat increase), the weapon the husband to be didn't need to use and the chance to make folks happy.

Description:
ELDER SISTER: Mary*
YOUNGER SISTER: July*
HUSBAND TO BE: Mike*
Two sisters, Mary is getting married in a few days to Mike, a man the younger sister, July, supposedly hates. July steals the wedding ring, hoping it'll stop the wedding, and runs off. You're asked to find her and bring her back - Mary seems more worried about little sister than the ring/wedding. So you chase July around town and finally corner her near a well, where she throws in the ring, then runs off again. You head down the well and have to chase the floating ring through a series of underground rivers until you catch it. You also find an old love letter from July to Mike.

When you get back you find July really worried as Mary is missing (went to look for July) and Mike has gone looking for her. You go looking for them (July 'joins' your group/entourage forcibly) and eventually find Mary trapped by a monster. You have a certain amount of time to use long range puzzle attacks to annoy it (throw rocks, sticks, arrows etc to 'fill' a distraction bar/gauge). If you don't (NOT FAIL) then July sneaks by and distracts it, but is attacked. Mike jumps in front and protects her but gets injured.

You kill the monster and Mike admits that he is really in love with July and that the marriage was designed by him and Mary to get her jealous/see if she still loved him. Wedding is called off and both sisters are happy.

If you do distract it (FAIL) then it attacks you and you fight it. Mike finally turns up and deals the killing blow. July agrees to allow the wedding, saying that she can see Mike really loves Mary. You stay for the wedding (stat gains?) and find the next day that July's left town during the night.

If you can fail it and how:
The failure is that neither sisters are happy with the marriage as Mike was July's ex that she still loved and for Mary was helping Mike test her sisters love for him, which backfired. She and he felt obligated to continue the marriage.

*Feel free to change. Just there for identifying purposes.

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
The Quest name: Marriage Mayhem
A longer quest.
Spoiler for:
What do you have to do:
- Chase the sister
- Chase the ring
- Find the older sister
- Mini-game/puzzle to distract monster
- Kill monster

What you get as reward:

If you fail you get a stat increase at the wedding feast and perhaps the chance to help the younger sister find love later on down the track.
If you don't fail you get an invite to the wedding (down the track a larger stat increase), the weapon the husband to be didn't need to use and the chance to make folks happy.

Description:
ELDER SISTER: Mary*
YOUNGER SISTER: July*
HUSBAND TO BE: Mike*
Two sisters, Mary is getting married in a few days to Mike, a man the younger sister, July, supposedly hates. July steals the wedding ring, hoping it'll stop the wedding, and runs off. You're asked to find her and bring her back - Mary seems more worried about little sister than the ring/wedding. So you chase July around town and finally corner her near a well, where she throws in the ring, then runs off again. You head down the well and have to chase the floating ring through a series of underground rivers until you catch it. You also find an old love letter from July to Mike.

When you get back you find July really worried as Mary is missing (went to look for July) and Mike has gone looking for her. You go looking for them (July 'joins' your group/entourage forcibly) and eventually find Mary trapped by a monster. You have a certain amount of time to use long range puzzle attacks to annoy it (throw rocks, sticks, arrows etc to 'fill' a distraction bar/gauge). If you don't (NOT FAIL) then July sneaks by and distracts it, but is attacked. Mike jumps in front and protects her but gets injured.

You kill the monster and Mike admits that he is really in love with July and that the marriage was designed by him and Mary to get her jealous/see if she still loved him. Wedding is called off and both sisters are happy.

If you do distract it (FAIL) then it attacks you and you fight it. Mike finally turns up and deals the killing blow. July agrees to allow the wedding, saying that she can see Mike really loves Mary. You stay for the wedding (stat gains?) and find the next day that July's left town during the night.

The failure is that neither sisters are happy with the marriage as Mike was July's ex that she still loved and for Mary was helping Mike test her sisters love for him, which backfired. She and he felt obligated to continue the marriage.

*Feel free to change. Just there for identifying purposes.

love the idea i'll take it thank you very much , CREDIT!

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
RMRK Junior
Quest Name: Clean up the Town

Objective: Kill 10 Monsters

Description: The Town is Being crowded by Monsters Please Help Clean it up By Killing 10 Monsters.

Rep:
Level 82
IT ALL ENDED.
well there are the obvious ones
Quest name:Mining
Objective: Find <rare metal here>
Description: find a rare metal for an NPC

Quest name:Item retrival
Objective: Find a lost <insert item here>
Description: A random NPC has lost his/her item. If you find it bring it back

Quest name:Tournamet
Objective: win it
Description: A tournament is being held. Play and win

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I thought the point was to not do the obvious ones. I suppose I could help.

Spoiler for Quest:
Quest Name: An Old Dream/Infiltration and Assassination
Description: A retired mercenary needs your help in completing his life-long dream.
What Happens: 1. An old man tells you that he was once a mercenary, but he could not complete his own objective; to kill a murderer who once murdered his brother/mentor/father/anyone close, really. He tells you that the last place this man was seen was in an abandoned gaol. Of course, you are obliged to help him.
2. You find the gaol wherein the man was said to be held. You discover that you must become inmates to kill the murderer. So in a nearby village, you commit a crime to get into the prison.
3. After several weeks in gaol, you encounter the murderer. You befriend him, and learn much about his past. He claims that he was framed by an old man, and you begin to feel suspicious.
4. Approaching a prime opportunity to kill him, you realise that perhaps the man who put you on your quest framed him and asked you to finish the job for him. You have to choose whether to help or kill the man.
5. If you chose to help, you break out of the prison with him, confront and kill the old man who is surprisingly strong. The framed man's record is cleared and he rewards you. If you chose to kill him, you do so and your sentence at the prison is over. You then return to the old man to receive your reward.
Reward: If you helped the framed man, you receive 5 scrolls that can summon him to any battle. He warns you to use them sparingly, however.
If you killed him, then the old man gives you money, of course.
Credit AngryPacman.

Hope this is good!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:34:38 AM by Welfare-Daddy Pacman »
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 72
One day I'll finish a game...
The Quest Name: Clear Out My Well!
What do you have to do:
Some old man has a well he gets water from... one day, he wakes up and finds it infested with sharks/octopi/living jellies/what have you. He needs someone to clean it out of beasts so he can get water, and you look pretty trustworthy..
What you get as a reward: 10 Clear Waters? An old tome? Money?
Description:
The Old Man needs you to clean out his well.. of monsters!
The old man berates you for your negligence.

Rep:
Level 82
The king of X has tasked you with carrying a magical staff to a wizard on the frontlines. The staff cannot be teleported. All of the other soldiers are already fighting against the X. They need this healing staff to either win the fight or heal the men to win the battle! Only you can do it!

But it won't be easy. Underlord Y has wanted that staff, ever since the humans stole it from his father's dead hand in the battle of Drakewing. He will use his deadly, tunneling forces and their earth magic to get the staff back at the pass of narrow passage!

Travel to a village where you will meet an old man that can take you to the passage, but he can go no further... but why? Is it because he is frightend & feeble or because he works for the Underlord Y or because he is the Underlord Y in disguise? Dun dun dun!

Book it!

Rep:
Level 82
ooo that was fun! Thinking of quests is so much easier than making them!!!

In a castle, you meet a servant with credible threats to the queen. The maid overheard the king's plot to kill her. The assassin will kill the queen as she sleeps and he is away at battle. The perfect plan. The king could just have the beloved queen beheaded, but his people would rebel and he'd be overthrown. Especially when the people see his young consort.

First you need the maid's help to distract the queen's guards as you slip into her room to find the assassin! After being victorious, the assassin escapes out the window. The queen wakes to find you sword in hand and screams. Guards break in, catch you and throw you in prison with the maid that distracted the guard. You're all obviously in it together to murder the queen.

Your party and the maid need to escape to save the queen before the assassin returns the next night to kill her again! Will you bribe a guard? Find a secret passageway infested with bugs? You need to help the weak and frail maid make it out of there alive.

Solid?

Rep:
Level 82
IT ALL ENDED.
Don't double post, shortstar. if you want to add anything, edit your first post.

Rep:
Level 82
My bad. Someone should make a forum to disable double posts.

Rep:
Level 83
Quest Name: Lover's Lane Exposed

Somewhat of a basic quest.
The character or whatever randomly stumbles upon a beautiful place, and getting dazed by the light and sparklies (I had nothing else to add to something beautiful) the entrance behind them get closed. Magic, Swords, Axes, Guns, etc. Can't penetrate it, having no choice the character has to explore deeper into the place and eventually find two people pinned to trees by the same thing blocking the entrance, with their last breathe they tell you if you can pass the trees test (which could be fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, a murder scene) or something random you see the two bodies disappear and as you're leaving you find the two lovers were Adam and Eve or something who had become pinned to the trees of sin for tainting the world or something. Then as the memory ends, you escape back to the world and the blocked entrance is gone, nothing is left but trees leading to the ocean or something. The only thing left is the scent the world has left upon you, and the memories given to you, and you can get some random items, spells, or something.

Just something made up on the spot, so sorry if its not as detailed as you might want its just something basic that you could probably (and should) change up to make it better.
*drool* That's like 90% awesome, it's just missing the part that's actually a quest.  Otherwise, I must use something similar to this, no choice.

Rep:
Level 75
Here is a basic quest not to detailed but it works

The Quest name: Horned necklace
What do you have to do: Collect 10 horns from monsters, return them to the woman
Description: A woman is making a necklace for her husband who is in the army for good luck but she is not
strong enough to defeat the monsters to get their horns to make the necklace.

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:
John 3:16: For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I don't know if you're still looking at this topic, but here's something generic:

Quest Name: Innocent Supplies ( i guess )
A merchant says, 'hey bro, (not an exact quote) my storage cart got robbed, get it.' Go to the forest, and you're like 'woah! that's totally his cart... and woah those are totally bandits!' Turns out, the merchant is one of the bandits and he lured you into the forest and wants to rob you. Kill them and take their loot as your quest reward

Oh, and that quest by Honenya sounds like the "Unfriendly Competition" quest in Oblivion (elder scrolls 4)... so now im going to play that.

Rep:
Level 87
In my humble opinion, quests should have an emotional payoff. Cliched quests don't necessarily have to suck, if you can write them in a way that draws in the audience.

The reason I hate 'mmorpg-style' quests is how boring and grindy and non-creative they are. Kill wolves in the forest for wolf meat for some stranger you don't care about. zzzzz. But what if those wolves were attacking a character that the game some time building up some emotional rapport with- and better yet, you have a quest for the hero to save two people in your party you really care about, but you can only save one of them? Now you're adding some interesting layers.

Make things feel at stake. What important is being lost? How are these things fragile-y existing on the vortex of non-existence? Think how your favorite tv shows do it, like Buffy or Xena-type shows, or anything that's based on fantasy magic crap. 'The world' is too general. People don't care about the world, they care about specific things. Their homelands, their own kids, their jobs, the skills they are good at. What is important to people? Relationships, love, meaning, fighting- how are all those things being challenged? Roleplaying adventure games are all about emotions and romance and what makes your heart soar! (But the Western mentality makes them based too much on capitalism or boring math or grinding chores. How utterly BORING.)

'Quest' is a big word. Back in the day, a 'quest' really meant something. I think quests should feel like a quest. So quality is better than quantity. Make maybe 10 really interesting quests with a lot of layers and have them travel to multiple areas to accomplish the quest. And when the quest is over you should feel all epic and mighty and heroic ....like you actually went on a quest. And don't make the outcome too obvious, but if you can execute it properly it won't matter if it's sorta cliche-ish. A good example is to watch the Xena episodes 'Destiny' and 'The Quest': that story to me feels more like an 'rpg quest' done right. (Okay I'm biased but I love Xena lol. I might even make a Xena rpg sometime in the future....)

I respect any writer who can get under my skin and pierce my heart. It's incredible to me. It's something that is beyond the veil of all money.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:33:13 AM by Adorkable »

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
well i still gone use them but for the moment my game is on pause, end of the school year soon.

Rep:
Level 82
@adorkable... That used to be my name.  As for an emitonal payoff, any game maker can still make an emotional payoff at the end of a generic quest... like slaying a dragon really kills the party's love interest.  Now they need to find out who awoke the dragon that killed their party member.

Quest back in the day meant less actually... slay the dragon.  Now you need to know WHY? Who wants you to slay the dragon? How will you slay the dragon? It used to just be fight the dragon, now everything has a twist.

If you like writers that can get under your skin and pierce your heart, maybe a generalized quest post isn't the place to start....  Maybe a story pitch is the place.  Perhaps your rant should be a topic of its own.