RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Everyone should just upgrade to Windows 7

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
Why?

Because I'm tired of ignorant fucking idiots telling me how Vista sucks when they can't even send an email let alone install a fucking printer.

I tell everyone Windows 7 is amazing, because I'm tired of hearing people bitch about Vista when they know absolutely nothing but what they heard from their "tech guy" who happens to be their idiot fucking neighbor who had issues installing his 12 year ink jet printer that HP stopped supporting 8 years ago.

So when the next person I see asks "Is Windows 7 better than vista?"

Fuck yeah it is. Idiot.

DISCUSS

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Vista is fine.

7 is better.

XP is old.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I've used it since the RC was made available and I'm a happy duck :) Haven't had any problems with it (didn't have any with Vista either. Surprisingly I had a bunch of driver problems on XP). Yeah everyone should upgrade :mad:
:taco: :taco: :taco:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I quite agree Windows 7 is awesome ^_^

With the right version there is also Windows XP Mode which is pretty much Windows XP running in a virtual machine for those who can't let it go.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I'm still using XP. I probably will for a while.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I'm still using XP. I probably will for a while.

There's no reason to use Windows 7 unless you're buying a brand new computer.  XP is still very good, and there's no reason to change otherwise.

That being said, I had a Vista rig and like Skanker have been using 7 since the RC.  I got a disk from my school and did a clean install to upgrade it to Retail last weekend.  Even with RC Build 7100 I was completely happy with it and have been since.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
I had nothing but problems with my comp when I had XP. Vista was sweet but had some CPU issues, it just kept sucking CPU and RAM into nothing. But Win7 has been a very good experience. My computer hardware is around 5 years old. I've only ever upgraded to a dual core 64bit CPU and a new Vid Card. XP choked and 7 just took it with stride.

So yeah, everyone should just get Win7.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I'd switch to 7, but that'll cost money.

I mean, Vista is pretty good. I'd want to stay with it if it didn't use a lot of RAM up if they're still calling it that.
Vista is only giving me issues with three games and they still play. I just can't update Rise of Nations or listen to the radio on BF: Vietnam or see the TV screen on Sims 2. But it's not enough to switch operating systems. What IS enough is the fact that XP uses less RAM and that means my games will be able to use more of that RAM for themselves. That's why I want to switch back. So my high-graphics games can work better. However, I might save up and switch forward (or pirate and switch forward) if 7 is good.

What advantages over XP does 7 have? Aside from newer Direct X editions. Does it still use up a lot of RAM like Vista?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:45:28 PM by Animefan »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I mean, Vista is pretty good. I'd want to stay with it if it didn't use a lot of RAM up if they're still calling it that.

I laughed so hard.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
I'd switch to Windows 7 if it weren't a stupid resource hog like Vista.

XP is the best available to me right now, even though it is garbage.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
I've no reason to switch over when I'm perfectly happy with XP, flawed as it may be to some.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
XP isn't garbage. I hate people who think that just because something new came out, then something old is worse than it was before. It's not. 7 might be better, but that fact alone doesn't lessen the usefulness or enjoyment of XP.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
I'd switch to Windows 7 if it weren't a stupid resource hog like Vista.

XP is the best available to me right now, even though it is garbage.
Windows 7 isn't a resource hog.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
XP isn't garbage. I hate people who think that just because something new came out, then something old is worse than it was before. It's not. 7 might be better, but that fact alone doesn't lessen the usefulness or enjoyment of XP.

Agreed to a point.

If you're going to make a computer with more than 4gb of ram, there's no reason not to use Windows 7, but otherwise it's a toss up.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
All versions of Windows is garbage.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
7! 7! 7!

I got it like 3 weeks early due to the MSDNA thingy my uni runs and yeah it was free.

Gotta email them for a second license for my desktop though.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
All versions of Windows is garbage.
said irock, while whacking off to a picture of a macbook.

Rep:
Level 87
I liked XP, I LOVED Vista (yeah, get over it.)  And Win 7 seems pretty nice too.  I loved that I could just upgrade from Vista and not have to reinstall any of my programs.

I have an issue with Win 7 Explorer though.  If I change ONE folder to view as large images, ALL folders view as large images.  So I go to another folder that I want to view as Detail and switch the view to that, and ALL folders now view as detail.  At least in Vista, there seemed to be a way make particular folders display a certain way without affecting everything else (though I never actually figured out what the trigger was, so every now and then they'd all revert).  Searches haven't brought up anything useful yet.  If anyone can tell me how to fix THIS little problem, then I'll absolutely LOVE Win 7 as well :)
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Rep:
Level 102
I have an issue with Win 7 Explorer though.  If I change ONE folder to view as large images, ALL folders view as large images.  So I go to another folder that I want to view as Detail and switch the view to that, and ALL folders now view as detail. 
This is the best thing Microsoft has ever done. They fixed an annoying issue with Windows, and you're mad about it?

Rep:
Level 87
Well, if I'm looking at a folder that contains images, I generally want to see them as images - at least icons and charsets, where I spend the most time.  Tilesets I prefer to view as details.  Everything else, I want to view as details.  I don't care to see what icons MS has decided to attach to a folder or a particular type of file.

IMO, what they've DONE is annoying.  Every time I look at a different folder, I have to change the view mode before I'm comfortable navigating it.  And since this is one of my day jobs, I'm ALWAYS switching between folders.  I don't mind if some people like the way it is now - good for them.  I just wish there was an option for those of us who liked to say "I always want to see THIS window in THIS view mode, regardless of what the others are like".

Rep:
Level 102
Well, if I'm looking at a folder that contains images, I generally want to see them as images - at least icons and charsets, where I spend the most time.  Tilesets I prefer to view as details.  Everything else, I want to view as details.  I don't care to see what icons MS has decided to attach to a folder or a particular type of file.

IMO, what they've DONE is annoying.  Every time I look at a different folder, I have to change the view mode before I'm comfortable navigating it.  And since this is one of my day jobs, I'm ALWAYS switching between folders.  I don't mind if some people like the way it is now - good for them.  I just wish there was an option for those of us who liked to say "I always want to see THIS window in THIS view mode, regardless of what the others are like".
It's stupid to navigate to folders and have the view mode always be different. It should stay consistent as it is in (I believe) every other operating system. When I change my view mode, it should change for every folder. I'd have to fiddle with the view mode a lot less if everything stayed the same.

Rep:
Level 87
that's your opinion, which you're entitled to, and which I'm not criticizing.  Don't call me stupid because I don't like the same things you do ;)

Rep:
Level 102
I didn't call you stupid, you idiot. I called what you prefer stupid.

Rep:
Level 87
lol - idiot?  I can only say 'takes one to know one', and that I'm STILL going to view my windows in different modes ;)

did that -rep make you feel better?

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
Well disregarding the last few retarded posts and steering this conversation back on track.  You're right, I'm sure Windows XP works great for what everyone does, but for god sakes, don't come in to my fucking store asking me if any of my new products are compatible with XP. 5 years from now I don't want grandpa coming in asking if he can watch blue ray on his 200mhz Pentium 2 with windows 98. No grandpa, you cant watch that shit on your 15inch CRT monitor.

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3