RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What influences you the most?

Rep:
Level 82
Treat Every Game Like Your Last.
Let's see what influences people the most!

1. Nature has huge influence on me. I love the outdoors.
2. Bad ass villains makes me want to make games where the villains win!   ^-^
3. Stupid people motivate me to become even more smart!
4. Bitchy people make me want to punch their faces in.

What about all of you?

Rep:
Level 83
1. nature as well, i enjoy camping out doors every once in a while
2. friends who you are always around can end up makeing who you are
3. teachers, (lame) they help prepare you to become what you want to
Spoiler for:
METALFRESH is a paint contractor that specializes in refinishing metal and vinyl siding. We paint metal buildings as well as siding on homes.

We also

Refinish decks
    Do custom interior painting
    Strip wallpaper
    Refinish cedar siding
    Metal front doors and sidelights
    Metal garage and service doors
    Grained fiberglass doors

If your structure is *RUSTED *FADED *CHALKING *IN NEED OF COLOR CHANGE, we can fix it with a guarentee!

northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

http://metalfreshcoatings.com

Rep:
Level 82
3. teachers, (lame) they help prepare you to become what you want to

I agree! I think disney influences me too because I grew up watching those movies. Toy Story  :rk:

Cursed by Ghost Dog for eternity
Rep:
Level 86
w/e
1.Music
2.Other shit

As a side note, exactly what are we being influenced to do?
The Newbie
I'll be gone again in time.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
This is a faulty topic by design, because everyone is influenced by everything. It's called experience, and people can try to deny this fact, but they're wrong. What we are now is only a culmination of everything we've been through in our lives, for better or worse. That might sound like a bad thing, right off the bat, but it is truly what makes each of us unique, and more than the sum of our parts.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Holk is right.

and thats why he influences me =D
Arlen is hot.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
also, a cheap joke:

the virus influenzas me
get it?
influence/influenza?

haha
Arlen is hot.

GRABBIN SOME PEELZ
Rep:
Level 85
Doin some...
1. My fiance :-*
2. Bruce Lee
3. Metal (the good kind, not trash black metal and such) :blizj:
4. Retarded fatasses that come into Taco John's and waste $30 on food for 4 people. I could feed my self for a week with that, maybe two if I lay off the grilled chicken :mad:
5. Any lead from a Tarantino film
6. Claus (of Mother 3, not the joly one)
7. The biger-than-life-sized Hayden Panettiere poster on my wall ;D
8. My mum (sometimes) :-\
9. My car (I hate her sometimes, but she pull threw when I really need her) :tpg:
10. :spam::spam::spam: Having a couple cans of these bad boys around after a night drinking Smirnoff with my baby cuz and some pals.
I'm sure I've missed alot.

<Skanker> Fairy talks about asses in 9 sentences out of 10

Rep:
Level 82
I agree, but it is our influences that motivates us to go and get experiences. An influence can simply be that one day I was mapping for fun, well I was new and didn't understand the layers all to well. I messed with RMXP four hours untill I finally realized the layers. From that I always read the manuals on everything! I wasted so many precious hours on that stupid map  :-\

GRABBIN SOME PEELZ
Rep:
Level 85
Doin some...
I agree, but it is our influences that motivates us to go and get experiences. An influence can simply be that one day I was mapping for fun, well I was new and didn't understand the layers all to well. I messed with RMXP four hours untill I finally realized the layers. From that I always read the manuals on everything! I wasted so many precious hours on that stupid map  :-\

THERE'S MANUALS?!

OMG I've had to learn all of what I know from experience, maybe a tutorial or two.

That's not to imply I know a lot however. ;D

<Skanker> Fairy talks about asses in 9 sentences out of 10

Rep:
Level 82
I disagree to an extent. We are influenced by experience but each of us gain experience by being influenced by things. For example, I was first motivated into DJing after listening to some of my mum's friends (sad, I know). They then went on to teach me a few tricks of the trade and I went ahead and did it. 2 years later I'm not famous but I dance to my own mixes :P. Therefore I was INFLUENCED by my mum's friends. However the influence caused experience to blossem. So if you think about it, you must first be influenced before you can gain experience. EG school work, the law forces you to go (influence) and you gain knowlage (experience).
you write music / games on things that intrest or mean something to you (influence) and you can make the project richer by (yes, you guessed it, experience.)

My greatest influence would have to be my fantasy imagination. I live in a world of fantasy in my head :P So the stories come to me realy easily. Also Fable is a great influence to the first game I will write in that you can be good or evil.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
An influence is experience. A lot of people think that "an experience" is this ground-moving event that alters the course of our personal history, but this is wrong. Experience is anything and everything we sense, and we are influenced by all of it to some degree.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Reading Holk's post has influenced me by giving me 15 EXP.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Honestly, I think RMRK has influenced me more than anything.
Moving to a different city and having to adapt is a close second though.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
The fact that i've never smoked pot has influenced me.

Er, my biggest influence has to be books of all sorts. I think in book form. Like, right now:

"Kathryn sat down on her lovely couch and opened up her netbook. Checking her single forum, she found a topic that piqued her interest. Intrigued, she clicked and replied after a quick review of the posts posted before her.

Not really. But I expect things to happen the way they would in books, which isn't so great all the time. Keeps me optimistic, though 8D

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Drugs.

j/k, I meant life. Life influences me.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Drugs.

[read: Experience influences me.]

I agree with Holt to a degree, but I also agree that he is completely missing the point of the topic!

We all know that experiences influence us, but this topic, although it says "what influences you?" isn't speaking of this obvious answer.

It means "What experiences influence you the most in doing what you do?"

So, now answer that! ANd damned be with the original question!!!  ;D
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Who the hell is Holt? :mad:

And I think being clear in the beginning would have helped.

Also, it's a bit hard to weigh the differences between two different experiences being the intangible things they are. Plus, different experiences affect different things. You can compare an apple and an orange in the fact that they're fruits, but they sure as heck aren't the same thing. You can't really compare things like that. :P
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:12:38 AM by AlmightyPatapon »

Rep:
Level 94
We all know that experiences influence us, but this topic, although it says "what influences you?" isn't speaking of this obvious answer.

It means "What experiences influence you the most in doing what you do?"

I can see you like to talk in circles. People must never know what you're talking about.

Anyway, here's what influences me:

Everything.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
@ AlmightyPatapon

Holt. Holk. Whatever! It's a one letter difference, and it should be fairly obvious that the person I meant was the person with the nearly identical name! Not to mention that his point was the exact opposite of mine, which would prompt such a response.

And, as a bonus note, you have proved my point!

Yes, apples and oranges are both fruit. But they aren't the same thing. They don't smell, taste, look, or feel the same. The same can be said about experiences, with a little tweaking... Yes, buying a house and talking to a friend are both experiences/influences. But they aren't the same thing. They don't affect us in the same ways and the same magnitudes. The same thing can be said about fruits, with a little tweaking... (continue ad nauseum...)

@ Holk

So, the fact that you had a favorite binkie when you were 1 (before you were able to form cognitive memories) affects you just as much as when you were beat up the other night for being a douchebag? (these examples are not to be taken as "from your life as I see it" but rather, extremely generalized examples of things that may or may not happen to people)

This is a topic about what affects you the most. Not what affects you.

I'm sorry that his question (although quite obvious in what it meant) wasn't clear enough in it's literal meaning for you, but what remains is that you haven't answered the question at all.

Everything doesn't affect you the most. Each individual experience [read: influence] doesn't equally define who you become as a person. If you don't care about a certain thing, chances are it doesn't affect you as much as something that is deeply connected with who you want to be, or who you are.

Basically, my reason for getting upset is that you are reading far too much into such a simple question! It's like you're trying to show off that you're so much more smart than anyone else on the board!

It has occured to me that you may be trolling right now... In fact, this seems quite similar to another troll that I've encountered... But ah, what the hell... I don't really care anymore...

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:19:57 AM by Sashikinaroji »
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 94
I'm not trolling. I'm just pointing out the facts. I'm sorry that you disagree with me. Also, why are you getting upset? It's just a message board. Calm down. Just because the effect that something in your life has on you isn't immediately apparent, doesn't mean that it has no effect on you. Maybe a passy and an ass-whooping do affect some people in the same way. This would be because their past and future experiences have influenced them this way. Do you see what I'm getting at? Perhaps the ass-whooping was only one in a daily occurrence, making the individual incident less effective than the overall routine. Say also that the passy in question was used by the person's uncle to sexually abuse them. In that case, a simple passy could have a much deeper influence on their current life than any beating ever could. A person like me, who (tragically) tries to find meaning in everything, can see the influence of everything in his/her life. To make a list of them would be banal, and pages long. It also wouldn't make for a very interesting read because these things are important to me because they're my experiences. Just like describing a dream to someone else, the feeling is lost in the outward recalling.

Also, I'm not a troll.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
God dammit... You've completely ignored what I've tried to get across.

What I mean is not that some events in life have no effect on you. I never said that.

I said that all events in life do not affect you equally. If that were true, the world would be a much blander place. People would be a lot more similar if everything that happened to people affected them in the same way and the same amount.

What I have been saying is, that some events affect you more than others. And that is what this thread is about. Not what influences you, but what you believe influences you the most.

For example, I believe that one of my biggest influences are my friends and family. Hokey, yet true. They are a big help to define who I am, mostly because they are who I interact with the most.

See? That's easy right? It's what influences me the most.

Now you.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
My answer to this topic.

Everything.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I like how this guy called Holk a troll..
This topic is also dumb because it does not tell us what we are getting influenced to do..
What has influenced me into doing a crime? The lack of money. What influences me to work hard and grow up to be a good person with a nice family job etc etc? The dreams and hopes of my parents.
ofcourse those are shitty examples.

Drugs.

People don't j/k when they are old :mad:
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 82
okay, seeing as this is kinda my fault I'm gonna put an end to this.

STOP FORKING OFF! Start your own forum thing if you want but the question is; What influences you the most?

this is to help people that find it hard to obtain influence and need some. So if any further discussion is wanted please start your own post as it has next to zero connections with the actual topic.

Stuck with influence for the post? how about "The difference between influence and experience"?

...What influences me the most?
-> music
->combining and enhancing other peoples Ideas (kinda cheating)
-> people I love