RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Compressing Game Data?

Rep:
Level 82
Sorry if this is a really newbie question:

So I'm done creating my game, it's quite big (about 300 mb) and I'm pretty sure "Compress Game Data" is how you put all the data in your game together (such as its audio and graphics) into the finalized game. After I'm done compressing the file I check it out, it's now been decreased to 128 mb. But it's not a game file, it's simply my game's project data. When I try to extract this compressed version using RAR it says that the file is corrupt and the extraction failed.

Does anyone know what's going on here, or if I'm doing things wrong, then how do I finalize my game project into the actual game?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Make sure that all the files that it's trying to compress are within the folders that they're supposed to be. The game might be 300mb total, and only compressing 128mb of it because the other 172mb of it is missing. Though that seems like a lot to have gone missing O_O'   so it's probably not that. lol, but I would take a look anyways.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I have heard about a 128 MB limit being present ;_;
If that is the case then I am afraid you have to split up your game into different games

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
You can just not compress it via the maker and instead .rar it up, that should work aswell :)
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
You can just not compress it via the maker and instead .rar it up, that should work aswell :)

wouldn't that make all the resources non-encrypted?

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
You could always have whoever downloaded it to encrypt it :police:

Rep:
Level 82
I have heard about a 128 MB limit being present ;_;

Of the 300 mb that my game is made of, 298 mb is just music.

I know that this is kinda off-topic but does anyone know how to compress music while not completely ruining its audio quality? Kinda like turning an MP3 file into a MIDI?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
You could always have whoever downloaded it to encrypt it :police:

Oh good point :)

Rep:
Level 82
wouldn't that make all the resources non-encrypted?

Ummm...why? I put all of my game's files (Audio, Data, Graphics, Game, and the Project) in a single file, WINRAR that into an archive, and when I re-opened the archive on another computer everything was still there.

Rep:
Level 92
Oh... In that case there actually is something you can do if you want to release it encrypted.
1. Move all the music somewhere else. (It size should now be below 128 MB)
2. Compress Game Data where you encrypt it.
3. Install the game.
4. Copy the music the where the game has been installed. (You should now be able to play the game)
5. Compress the whole directory with WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip or whatever 3 party compression software you prefer.

You can now share that file ^^

*hugs*

Rep:
Level 83
wait 298 some megs of songs? how many do you have?
Spoiler for:
METALFRESH is a paint contractor that specializes in refinishing metal and vinyl siding. We paint metal buildings as well as siding on homes.

We also

Refinish decks
    Do custom interior painting
    Strip wallpaper
    Refinish cedar siding
    Metal front doors and sidelights
    Metal garage and service doors
    Grained fiberglass doors

If your structure is *RUSTED *FADED *CHALKING *IN NEED OF COLOR CHANGE, we can fix it with a guarentee!

northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

http://metalfreshcoatings.com

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
If we assume the average MP3 file is around 3-4 megabytes and do some basic calculation a rough estimation would be 83 songs :)

Rep:
Level 82
There's no need for removing music....

I simply have everything in a single compressed WINRAR file, when player opens it up all the audio, graphics, data, game project, and game is there. Why bother with compressing data?

Edit:
You can now share that file ^^

Nah...my game is made for a friend based on a forum he frequently posts on, so pretty much nobody but him would be able to comprehend the storyline. Also, I ripped EVERYTHING: sprites, audio, etc. off the internet.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 03:37:14 AM by Thrantus73 »

Rep:
Level 92
So you don't want to encrypt your project?
Then you can perfectly just compress the project and share ^_^