RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
This Shit is disgusting

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
On a note, I find abortion, needed for some people, though I don't support it but Im not against it. Just I feel its a part of life, unfortunately for many people they're against while many are for it. Some are in the middle, and just accept it.
What?

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Nothing, ignore me. I was just ranting and whatnot.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
That is extremely ego-centric of you.
Considering that it's happening in -their- country, and we are totally uninvolved, I'd say it's -our- point of view that doesn't matter.

Just out of curiosity, would you say the same if it were a topic of human rights violations, such as genocide? I think that as a human race, we should care about things that are happening to other human beings even if they are not within our national or cultural borders. Whether a fetus is human or not is obviously not something universally agreed upon, but where a person thinks it is, I don't see the argument that "it's not here, therefore we shouldn't care" as particularly convincing. I would say that might be the more egocentric opinion, as it is ostensibly saying that we shouldn't care about other human beings unless they share our cultural perspective.

That being said, I do understand concerns about imposing our cultural norms on other people and colonialism is bad and all, but I don't see why a recognition of that should translate to not caring about other human beings in other cultures. And where the human rights violations are grave, I think that that could justify forceful action on the part of other nations. I don't think cannibalism is grave enough, even if we were to accept that fetuses are human, but I also don't think that it's egocentric to condemn it.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I see many of us are trying hard to see this from an accepting point of view, which I suppose is good- acceptance of others is always welcome in the world. I guess I threw out a few poorly thought out opinions because of the shock value. I'm gonna leave this one alone from now on because I can't think of it in any other way except through my own eyes, and I just can't get over the fact that a human fetus is being boiled for lunch. I like to think of myself as fairly progressive and open minded, but I just can't do it this time.

Thanks for your counter points, guys, if nothing else, it makes a really good debate. I'll exit this conversation with something I found while playing Year Zero a couple of years back. Food for thought... no pun intended.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:34:57 AM by EvilM00s »
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I didn't say we shouldn't care.  I said we shouldn't judge.

I don't agree with cannibalism, but I am not going to judge the culture that it's included in.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
What? This isn't just cannibalism, its infanticide/cannibalism. Of course I'm going to judge it. Its fucked up.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
That isn't how stem cells work, idiots.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Yeah, idiots.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
They're doing it wrong.
It's fetus dumplings which have preternatural qualities.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I didn't say we shouldn't care.  I said we shouldn't judge.

Again, I'm taking a more general approach to this than just the situation at hand, but:

It seems to me that to care effectually, the very least that is required is to judge the perpetrator to have committed a wrong. To say, "I care that your family was massacred by some militant faction, but that's just part of their culture so I'm not going to judge them" is a particularly ineffectual caring. It is even more problematic if it is used as a justification not to interfere in order to prevent some future massacre. It seems to me that there can be no real line separating judgement and caring. In order to care that something bad has happened or is happening, we have to judge the behaviour that results in that "something bad" as being wrong. If we categorize the behaviour as wrong, then the actors must be doing something wrong, and we are thus implicitly stating that whatever reasons the actor might have (including cultural background) for that behaviour is insufficient to justify the wrong. In some cases, we might care more about preserving cultural autonomy than we do about the individuals harmed by that culture's practice, but in those cases I would still categorize it as a lack of any effectual type of care.

In any case, I am not sure if a cultural analysis would be entirely appropriate to apply to the situation in this thread (even though I am assuming it is a hoax), as cannibalism is not a cultural norm in China. If a community in Iowa took up ritualistic (and voluntary) human sacrifice, I don't think it would be appropriate to infer a cultural immunity to that when it should be clear from the laws of the US that such behaviour is unnacceptable, even though the victims volunteer and nobody in the community considers the behaviour to be aberrant.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
I love reading Modern Algebra's posts.  He always says what I want to say far better than I could ever say it.  Awesome =)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
mm babies.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
My stance is that we don't have a right to tell the rest of the world how to live just because we're America.  
Our culture doesn't define what human rights mean, it doesn't define what morality and right and wrong are, anywhere other than in America.

That's why I'm saying put things in perspective.  If cannibalism or even infanticide is part of another culture and has been for a long time or whatever, then by all means disagree with it strongly and don't do it yourself, but you can't very well hold another culture to your standards just because you happen to not like their standards.

To give a more easily understood example, I disagree strongly with how the gay community is handling the rights movement.  I don't agree with parading down the street waving rainbow flags and making out on floats and forcing everyone in the city to watch it happen, and I don't agree with forcing people to go against their morals or their beliefs to marry gay couples.  Because it's -forcing- one culture or one mindset onto someone else, which I personally feel is a greater injustice.  (no I'm not opening the floor to a gay rights debate, I was simply making an example)

And by all means continue to judge if you feel you must because I shouldn't be forcing my mindset on anyone else either.  I just feel it is disrespectful and inconsiderate not to take into account that the topic has nothing to do with our culture and the culture it has everything to do with is treated as though it doesn't matter simply because the issue happens to be taboo and questionable in our own.

I suck at explaining things clearly.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
For some reason, I think you are me...

It's possible.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
mm babies.

omg grafikal!

NO JOKE, I literally was going to say exactly that.

For some reason, I think you are me...

Nah, lots of people find babies delectable.