RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
District 9

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
(The other was in the sewers, I wanted to start a real one.)

Wow, this movie was simply amazing. The aliens felt real. They made the aliens feel like something that could really come to earth. The technology felt like something that could really exist. The CGI was 8/10. The movement in the power armor felt so organic and beautiful.

So go see it now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:10:34 AM by Boe »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
I want to see this film. It looks real "organic", I guess is a good way to put it like you did, which is why I think it looks so awesome. And OHMYGOD a movie with mechs that isn't of Japanese origin or made by Mr. Bay. Was (were) the mech scene good or short?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
like 10 or so minutes long of mech. The mech scene was good. Crazy shit happens and there's only 1 mech.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Wow, I just saw it. It was really a beautiful movie...the ending was very bittersweet.
By far the best sci-fi action movie I've seen in a long, long time.
"The mech scene was good." +1

So go see it now.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Fantastic movie. Pretty much trumps every other Sci-fi movie made in the last 10 years and makes it look like a douchebag for trying.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
It really wasn't what I hoped it was going to be. I was hoping it would be more about the assimilation of the alien race, and them trying to fit into human society. At least, that's what the viral made it look like.

The weapons were pretty awesome though.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
That's basically what it was about. The events that occurred in the movie were 20 years after they came to earth. Up to that point and still after the movie we were all trying to still understand them. Nobody knew why the mothership left (except for like the main characters.) It of course wasn't focused upon the entire movie, but that's not to say that it wasn't a very core aspect to the main plot of the movie. I think.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
It really wasn't what I hoped it was going to be. I was hoping it would be more about the assimilation of the alien race, and them trying to fit into human society. At least, that's what the viral made it look like.

The weapons were pretty awesome though.

I got that feeling. it wasn't like in your face all the time, it was more subtle than that but that was definitely a big element of it.
The Nigerians (Zimbabweans?) selling and scamming them, they're treated like bottom feeders. They weren't assimilated like Borgs are but...

Spoiler for Don't read if you haven't seen it:
...I think while they weren't really being side by side the humans (for the most part!), they were definitely in the society, people noticed them, people interacted with them...
There were people protesting the way the government treated the prawns. The whole segregation element stuck out like a sore thumb. Everyone wanted their technology. People had sexual relations with them, people would have riots. And I think the biggest part of it was that the main character (forget his name) was the hybrid/link between the two species.

Rep:
Level 86
Sonic Dog -> Light Spear -> Overlimit -> Slash
the main character (forget his name)

Wikus.

Yeah, it wasn't at all what I expected, and yet it totally took me by surprise. Unlike a lot of sci-fi/thriller movies, most everything was actually resolved by the end, and I enjoy how they took the whole weird alien super-ness (Like those weapons I would expect to see in a future Gears game) and turned it into a surprisingly believable story.

The Cloverfield-like camera work during a lot of it was pretty cool, too.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
It's Vicus.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
That's basically what it was about. The events that occurred in the movie were 20 years after they came to earth. Up to that point and still after the movie we were all trying to still understand them. Nobody knew why the mothership left (except for like the main characters.) It of course wasn't focused upon the entire movie, but that's not to say that it wasn't a very core aspect to the main plot of the movie. I think.
Oh, I totally forgot that it was 20 years later after they came. Good points. =o

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I forget what ethnicity he is, but his name is Vicus. It's spelled in the movie a few times some place, the V just sounds like a W with the accent. Latin does that too ~ that's dead though.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Wikus.

Yeah, it wasn't at all what I expected, and yet it totally took me by surprise. Unlike a lot of sci-fi/thriller movies, most everything was actually resolved by the end, and I enjoy how they took the whole weird alien super-ness (Like those weapons I would expect to see in a future Gears game) and turned it into a surprisingly believable story.

The Cloverfield-like camera work during a lot of it was pretty cool, too.

Ah, he was really well acted. It was interesting to see how he reacted to other Prawns as the movie went on. It was paced really well too.

It was different than I expected too, but I had read a review that kind of made it sound different than the trailers made it look.

Funny, I was just thinking about some similarities to Cloverfield, although this was way better than Cloverfield.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I LOVED this movie, but a friend of mine was absolutely FOCUSED on the little factor that there were nanomachines in the alien fuel that turns humans into bugs. And that prevented her from liking the movie because it's not realistic like the rest of it.

Or at least, I couldn't find a way to explain why it could be realistic. Anybody have a reason there might be nanomachines that turn humans into bugs, swimming around in alien fuel?
Spoiler for:
Anyway, I loved this movie. An unexpected protagonist and an unexpected plot. At first sight Vicus was the last guy I expected to be of any importance, but lo and behold he decimates armed forces for the good of Bugdom.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I don't remember anything about nanomachines being said.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Yeah, they never said anything about nanomachines.

Rep:
Level 82
Ya does look like a damn good movie.
Z Gores % Done:
Events

Sprites [1]
Scripting

Database

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
I LOVED this movie, but a friend of mine was absolutely FOCUSED on the little factor that there were nanomachines in the alien fuel that turns humans into bugs. And that prevented her from liking the movie because it's not realistic like the rest of it.

Or at least, I couldn't find a way to explain why it could be realistic. Anybody have a reason there might be nanomachines that turn humans into bugs, swimming around in alien fuel?
Spoiler for:
Anyway, I loved this movie. An unexpected protagonist and an unexpected plot. At first sight Vicus was the last guy I expected to be of any importance, but lo and behold he decimates armed forces for the good of Bugdom.

As far as im aware the fuel contains some biological material related to or from the aliens. The fuel is probably a highly reactive substance allowing it to react with the cells faster.

Nanomachines in feul would be silly and err expensive. you kinda burn fuel.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I really thought that the format was a bit... different... IN a good way...

I mean, it's like you turned the channel, and saw a documentary that was already started and said, "Fuck it! Let's watch this!"

Then, after you started watching that documentary, you got bored and started flipping the channels from the documentary, to the news, to the movie based on the documentary, and back to the documentary again... I don't know if I'm explaining this very well... But that is how the movie felt to me... Like a bunch of bits and pieces that all formed together into something cognitive/about the same topics, even though it wasn't originally intended to (like when you watch the news on two different channels, or america's most wanted and cold case...)
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Professional Badass
Rep:
Level 82
I will make you hurt
This movie kicked ass.

It was intelligent in a social sciences kind of way, showing how the culture around where the aliens live respond to them and vice versa. It was also very realistic, and the documentary style in which it was presented was spot-on. The mech and other technology in the movie was awesome, and I believed in the character.

A lot of these things are what James Cameron's Avatar did not have, and mainly made up for it with purely cool things or very pretty things and a simple message. Avatar makes the humans to be outright evil, like anyone could just simply turn over to the aliens' side, which is just not realistic. In District 9, the character outright knocks out the alien who wants to postpone him being returned to normal, because he refuses to wait for the alien to keep his promise. The man has a lover, and it just makes good sense.

Avatar was more visually stunning by far. But just like video games, to me it isn't the look as much as the content. and I think anyone who has seen one should see the other. They complement each other perfectly.
I make my bed on remains of dead-eyed angels,
In the depths of Tartarus,
Where I lay in passion with Echidna
Giving birth to shapes both twisted and great.