RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k3] Touhou Fantasy

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
Fantasy Universe? Never heard of it...is it in one of the fangames that I've never played, or is that one of her moves in MUGEN?

I already thought of her being a heavy physical attacker, much like Kasen (except Kasen is more like Trema than Miko). Funny, since that makes them both more powerful variants of Sara who's also a heavy physical attacker...

Of course, Miko will have a couple other moves just in case (perhaps a healing move or something of the sort).

Breakin' your HTML
Rep:
Level 74
Kurosuhato Rokkuriba (Crossed Heart, Rock River)
Fantasy Universe? Never heard of it...is it in one of the fangames that I've never played, or is that one of her moves in MUGEN?

I already thought of her being a heavy physical attacker, much like Kasen (except Kasen is more like Trema than Miko). Funny, since that makes them both more powerful variants of Sara who's also a heavy physical attacker...

Of course, Miko will have a couple other moves just in case (perhaps a healing move or something of the sort).

I made up "Fantasy Universe" attack because "Universe" is in a way greater than "Heaven"

That aside: Is there some things you need?
We were all newbies at first (Low Level), Then we suffer, We became greater as we fought (Mid Level) and now then we stare in the face of the end of the world! (High Level)

Rep:
Level 85
I still need to fix up my synthesis shop for one (might use Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time as inspiration for that), and still need to map a crapton of dungeons yet as well as sort out Koishi's Blue Magic spells (and still give abilities to a couple characters that I'm not going to name because of spoilers). Other than that, not much.

Breakin' your HTML
Rep:
Level 74
Not to meantion "certain" character sprites are missing...
We were all newbies at first (Low Level), Then we suffer, We became greater as we fought (Mid Level) and now then we stare in the face of the end of the world! (High Level)

Rep:
Level 85
Those will probably be missing for quite a while due to nobody to sprite for them. I'll be lucky if I get all of Hope's sprites by my concept artist actually...

Breakin' your HTML
Rep:
Level 74
Those will probably be missing for quite a while due to nobody to sprite for them.

Yes. That's a real pain unless someone makes a MUGEN of them...

I'll be lucky if I get all of Hope's sprites by my concept artist actually...

This is going to take quite a while by the sound of it...

Rep:
Level 85
http://www.mediafire.com/?dz1dz2qks1256rt

So yeah...since it appears others were having this issue with Suwako randomly being in the party, I looked through my game to see what the problem was. Tested and everything without changing a thing, and didn't have a problem like that, so either something is wrong in the current parts of the games that people are having issues with, or I outright fixed it in my game, so hopefully this patch fixes that up...

I guess if anything, this is where I start getting back into working on the game some and fixing things up...too bad I can't really use Firefox while working on this. ;___;

Rep:
Level 85
A little To-Do list...

*Update the intro sequence: I feel now, after discussing this with my mapper, that it needs redone entirely. Well, maybe not the Rinnosuke and Reimu scenes, but other scenes could be trimmed down or taken out entirely, and different ways to approach it would be better. Also, need to put in a clearer reason for the game starting other than "items are raining into Gensokyo hur dur!". That isn't what the problem of the story is at all...maybe even have a tutorial battle in the intro somewhere?

*Update beta1 maps: This includes; Human Village (though does it really need updated?), Forest of Magic (expand into more maps?), Bamboo Forest (at least remove the instant game over traps...but does it need expanded more?), Eientei (get rid of instant game over traps...but would have to rethink a lot of things for this...), Scarlet Devil Mansion (I've remapped this thing 4 times already and still can't get it to look right. I think Voile looks alright, and the outside and roof as well, but every other place inside the mansion feels wrong...). I don't really think beta2-4 maps need redone at all.

*Condense music and/or other music options: This is probably the biggest complaint I've gotten about the game. So here's the options: 1) Remove a lot of the music and have a set amount of songs (every character will still retain their battle themes though, but bosses may only get 3-4 themes max for generic bosses. Dungeons I haven't decided on yet), or 2) Have an option for "vanilla" music (i.e. what would COME with the game) and an option for "extra" music (i.e. what's in the game already). So that those who don't want the large 1 GB filesize could opt for the smaller one, albeit less music. There would be an option to change the music options in an area (probably Human Village or some sort) for those that wanted to switch between the options and whatnot. What is everyone's opinions on this matter?

*Balancing enemies: This will always be an issue, since there's always new things added in and other things that I'd like to try. I think for the most part enemies are balanced in the game, save for later in the game. I'd need someone to help test this out though...

*Balancing levels: This is one of my biggest peeves with the game personally, and I don't know how to fix it at all..

There's obviously more, but I'm not going to go into that because people are obviously tired of me working on characters and skills nowadays it seems...but oh well. If there's anything else that you guys think need done, feel free to let me know. I'm not going to give up on the game...I know it can be done right. Just takes time when it's mostly a one-man army doing it all. MOSTLY I say.

Rep:
Level 85
http://www.mediafire.com/?upd9nx7d53xn6ea

Minor update patch. This'll give you a taste of the new intro (there are tutorial battles, akin to like say...FFIV, though try not to die ^^;  ). Do let me know if the battles are too hard or not...this is important! I had considered doing this as well for the Chireiden and Mima scenes, but I did not. Also, the Shikieiki scene has been completely removed. I felt it was useless to have...

In addition, I just realized that in the Crafting Shop, I DO have a shop for buying crafting materials. Guess I never go there much myself or I just plain outright forgot all about it ^^;;

Also, the only maps I'm going to revamp are SDM (somehow) and Eientei. The instant game over traps in Bamboo Forest now just send you to the start of that map, so less frustrating (though people may still opt to F12 and reload save to save time I guess...). There's really nothing terribly wrong with Human Village, Misty Lake was already revamped, and Forest of Magic seems ok (originally I was going to make Forest of Magic another maze, but that'd mean there'd be 4 mazes in a row, which is bad...). Dunno if Forest of Magic should be expanded at all or not...either it or Bamboo Forest will have an underground segment to it too (I'm thinking Bamboo Forest since it already HAS the pitfalls...).

That is all! Do let me know how that intro works for ya'll! I'm not sure if anything else needs done with it or not...still deciding on that.

Rep:
Level 51
RMRK Junior
Not sure if its still like this or not, but after Remi is fight-able to recruit, if you go through the portal from Eintei to get back to SDM the screen will slide like it does when you walk in normally but all you get is wall and text boxes. Not sure if you want to make it so you can't use that portal (red mist is blocking your path) when Remi is fight able or have it teleport you to the entrance of SDM when you go through it. Its just something I thought I'd point out.

Rep:
Level 85
Wait...did you return to Eientei after finishing Youkai Mountain and use a portal there? I honestly didn't expect people to go back so soon but...I probably should do something about that. I'll probably seal those portals off until the player either beats Remilia, or after a specific storyline event. Thanks for letting me know about that. x_x;;

Rep:
Level 51
RMRK Junior
I wanted to kill a few more doors to get 1-ups but didn't want to go back through bamboo forest again, that's how I found that out.

Rep:
Level 85
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFjblmRXI18" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFjblmRXI18</a>

I apologize ahead of time for the bad speaking and the whiffing in the mic. I don't know WHY it whiffs in the mic like that, but it does. Also, I don't know what happened to the volume in the second half. It kinda dropped out for some reason...

This video is in response to all of the reviews and criticisms I've gotten. Granted, mostly the negative ones. I HAVE had GOOD criticisms and whatnot, don't get me wrong and I appreciate it, but some of these criticisms man...I don't know!

So yeah...hopefully ya'll can understand what I'm saying here, and what I'm trying to get at. Can't expect a one-man army to do EVERYTHING perfectly. It's called a BETA for a reason after all!

And why yes, that is exactly how I sound.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:45:16 AM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 51
RMRK Junior
I fully support this, it just I haven't been playing it much lately so i haven't been able to find any more problems for ya.

Edit: people who complain about graphics aren't allowed to be called gamers.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:23:54 AM by kaldrim »

Rep:
Level 85
That's been like...one of the biggest complaints I've had with the game from people (and yes, that "60 hours is too long for even hardcore gamers" is bull too. That's about the standard time for people who first plays a RPG! I mean c'mon!

Other big ones, as mentioned in the video, is the music (understandable and TRYING to fix somehow...still not sure which songs to keep for vanilla and whatnot) and the mapping (though I think those that complained about that only played the beta1 maps and not the rest of the game methinks...not sure though. Nobody ever specifies some things...).

Breakin' your HTML
Rep:
Level 74
people who complain about graphics aren't allowed to be called gamers.

I agree. It's about how you enjoy it and appreciate the hard work put into it... I mean if there is one type of game genre that takes the longest to complete would've been RPG's and it all depends how long you put your work into it to complete it

"60 hours is too long for even hardcore gamers" is bull too. That's about the standard time for people who first plays a RPG! I mean c'mon!"

Agreed on this part too!: It took me around 58 hours to complete Final Fantasy 7 without defeating the Secret weapons and getting Omnislash to help me proceed even further. So it all depends on what you're doing to complete the game!

Other big ones, as mentioned in the video, is the music (understandable and TRYING to fix somehow...still not sure which songs to keep for vanilla and whatnot) and the mapping (though I think those that complained about that only played the beta1 maps and not the rest of the game methinks...not sure though. Nobody ever specifies some things...).

Rep:
Level 51
RMRK Junior
I don't mind length of games. I mean I like playing the Tales games and they are all over 80 hours long if not longer. I think the shortest amount Of time I spent on a RPG that wasn't a speed run would be around 40 hrs myself.

Rep:
Level 85
Shortest amount for me runs at 12 hours (Super Mario RPG, in case you were wondering). Though FFIV falls in that category...while most other FFs that I ALREADY know how to break take about 20-24 hours. FFX on the first try took like...60 hours, and then 140 went into sub stuff (maxing out sphere grid, monster arena, etc.), while FFXII took over 100 hours on the first try alone (bar Yiazmat, cuz I ain't fighting a boss for 7-8 hours yo).

Rep:
Level 51
RMRK Junior
Yeah personally I like longer games, and its not like you game moves slowly in action, really the only flaw is that the plot isn't advanced quickly but that makes sense in the touhou universe, sense when has Reimu ever gone after the main cause of something without fighting everything on the way.

Rep:
Level 85
Aye, and to add to that, the story is meant to move slowly until around beta4/5 where the story starts to pick up a lot more (beta5 is where all of the story comes together. Sure it's 50% through the game, but I did it in this way for a reason. Just my storytelling in the works is all).

Still don't know why people think that the characters don't act like themselves. I think I did a pretty good job of capturing each character : /

Rep:
Level 51
RMRK Junior
Well the characters have many different personalities; between Canon and Fanon, that some people don't realize the difference between the two.

on a couple side notes, you can abuse you speed bug glitch fixer to make yourself move fast even without Sakuya in the party and even faster. and two I'm prolly going to restart the game today and do a fresh run though to try something different.

Rep:
Level 85
The speed bug glitch fixer shouldn't be abused even if I left it that way. Otherwise cutscenes and other things will be broken. It's there in the event that something DOES happen, and I don't want to have to constantly make fix patches to fix that (though being notified of where speed bugs occur would be great, seeing as I don't have them ALL fixed still...).

Also, I apologize if I respond a bit later than when posts are posted. For some reason, my Hotmail keeps putting any notifications I get from this site in the Junk folder...which it never used to do, so I don't know what's going on there...

Rep:
Level 51
RMRK Junior
Thats. fine. also I didn't know about that, I only found this forum a day before my first post on this page so I really haven't read much of this.

Rep:
Level 51
RMRK Junior
I can't remember where you find this, but there's a line referring to Hope being blonde and I know she's going to have green hair, her portrait at the time is blonde so it makes sense, but when you actually get all that worked out I thought I'd let you know that line is in there. its in Beta1 so its not that far in, and its not long after you meat her with Reimu, I want to say its at Marissa's house when this line occurs. I'm not sure if you meant for the line to be that way, I'm reading it wrong, or you originally planed for Hope to be blonde.

Rep:
Level 85
Originally she was going to be blonde (she uses Fate Testarossa's portrait right now) and originally she used Luna Child's sprite (she didn't have her own unique sprites back then). I'm...not sure how to reword that. What do you call a green-haired person? x_x;;

For everyone else, I am *gasp* actually working on the game! This is what's going down:

*Fixed beta5 bug that crashed the game in Pandaemonium
*Fixed speed bug from beta2 ending (after defeating Tiamat and then getting Komachi)
*Will be fixing up some dialogue to touch up on it.

*Currently working on fixing up the crafting shop. Crafting materials are still the same prices, but those will probably change eventually. However, I am not certain if the crafting material shop (shop for buying materials) should stay or go. Originally, the system was based around winning or stealing from enemies, finding materials from chests or characters, or being rewards from sidequests. They were NEVER meant to be bought, so having that shop there kinda is influencing how the system is working. It'll need some more testing, but if I must, I'll have to do MORE changes later, either to how many materials each piece of equipment needs or the drop/steal rates of how often they're dropped (which I'm trying to avoid due to well...that's more work than changing the materials needed). If anyone would like to help on this, please let me know. I can use all the help I can get...

Heck, even deciding on whether or not to keep the shop or not would help. I already have the original crafting shop data uploaded, so if you want to try and help, here's what they USED to be:

http://www.mediafire.com/?8ue07tht17z11xp

There won't be an update patch until AFTER I get the crafting system fixed up, so keep that in mind, ya'll! Still waiting on mapper as well before I can work on beta5 story stuff...

Unless you guys want to wait until I get the new crafting shop done and/or an item list (i.e. where to find all of the items in the current beta) done first?