RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Side scroller

Rep:
Level 84
I need to know if there is any way to disable moving up in rpgmaker2k3,

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
if you're trying to make a sidescroller, just use game maker

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Ther are some that do not wish to use Game Maker. as for making a side scroller. all I know is that a bunch of special events and triggers will be needed for all of your actions. as for the physical part. most of that can be done when you se the terrain, just make it so that hte character character can only move sideways on floors and up and down on ladders.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Basically, edit the charaset so that the up sprite and down sprite face right, or whichever way your side scroller scrolls.

This is all i can cough up, i can't think of how to do this in code.

Don't question the example, i pulled the first charaset i could find  :mad:

Rep:
Level 84
although I'm one of those guys that advocates GM over RM2k/3 for platformer style stuff (and for good reason), i did find something that may e worth looking into: http://www.blade2k.net/writings/0/1/2/writing_134

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Stop making me look bad with your amazing tutorial finds, emirpoen  :tpg:

Rep:
Level 84
Stop making me look bad with your amazing tutorial finds, emirpoen  :tpg:

Google and some choice words can go a long way friend. Also, i can't say for sure this will work as intended, nor work as the topic author seeks, so don't feel bad  ;)

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
it's so much easier to make a platformer in GM over 2k3 or XP or VX .-.

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Actually you guys forget something, Mapping in GM is horrible, it doesn't support sprite sheets you have to insert a special code in it, you have to make a CMS and CBS, GM's variable support is horrendeous.

I could go on forever baby, but if you know enough about it you can do wonders.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Actually you guys forget something, Mapping in GM is horrible, it doesn't support sprite sheets you have to insert a special code in it, you have to make a CMS and CBS, GM's variable support is horrendeous.

I could go on forever baby, but if you know enough about it you can do wonders.

oh that's right, it's more like a real game engine, so it's tougher, which means it's automatically not as useful.  I totally forgot.

edit: I could point you to tutorials that make GM seem easy as can be, but you're biased against it so I'm not going to bother.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:35:28 AM by NAMKCOR »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
if you know enough about it you can do wonders.

oh that's right, it's more like a real game engine, so it's tougher, which means it's automatically not as useful.

?? ??

She didn't say it wasn't useful - she said the opposite ... I think
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:49:15 AM by Modern Algebra »

Rep:
Level 85
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
GM just takes time to get used to, it's useful on it's own way :3

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

I was commenting about that.

GM just takes time to get used to, it's useful on it's own way :3

side scrollers...action games...doomlike fps...

Rep:
Level 85
edit: I could point you to tutorials that make GM seem easy as can be, but you're biased against it so I'm not going to bother.

Actually I'm learning game maker now XD
Going slow and I have a friend that pointed some tutorials out for me :)

Rep:
Level 84
Summary; GM is made for a variety of game types; RPG Maker is primarily for RPGs.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
They should've named them so you would know what they were good for. Like, call the one for RPGs RPG maker. That would've been useful. :V

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
You could always use Stencyl. They're releasing a beta sometime in 2008. :V
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 85
But alas it is already 2009, Stencyl is but a dream

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
AHAHA STENCYL JOKE :v

Also, i've tried game maker, and you really can make a basic arcade type thing in like, two hours, but it's a pain to make an engine for anything more complicated.

Which we all know, but it may be easier to make a platformer in RPG maker than it is to make a platformer in game maker just so that you can avoid all of that...engine...ing.

But anyhow if anyone does want to make any game in game maker, i'll respect you. at least you're not as lazy as i am  :tpg:

Rep:
Level 84
But alas it is already 2009, Stencyl is but a dream

The stencyl is a lie, like its cousin the cake.
AHAHA STENCYL JOKE :v

Also, i've tried game maker, and you really can make a basic arcade type thing in like, two hours, but it's a pain to make an engine for anything more complicated.

Which we all know, but it may be easier to make a platformer in RPG maker than it is to make a platformer in game maker just so that you can avoid all of that...engine...ing.

But anyhow if anyone does want to make any game in game maker, i'll respect you. at least you're not as lazy as i am  :tpg:

well, to be honest, i guess it really depends on how good you want the platformer to function, gameplay wise. If you want a great platformer, game maker is the way to go. Iji is a good example of this. Don't get me wrong, I've seen RM2k3 do ok platformers, but that was done by someone of extreme skill, and even then, it was flawed.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
making games is all about "engine-ing"
there's no way to avoid it.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Ah well. I'm going into an emo corner to feel criticized >.>

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
http://www.rpgmaker.net/games/272/

This might help you, an RPG that is side-scrolling. If you want to "turn off moving up" then just make everything except the side-scrolling section unpassable...