RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMRK+ Format

fagmop
Rep:
Level 87
fagmop
RMRK+ Format for Plug & Play Event Systems

(RMRK+ Format is just something I have decided to invent. I am taking the name 'RMRK' in vain mostly because 'Modern Algebra Format' makes me sound like a prick and I can't think of a better name right now. If anyone has any suggestions, I am waiting, hoping for you to post. I will try to think of a more appropriate name for it, but for now)

Introduction

What is an RMRK+ Format Event System?

The major problem with creating Plug & Play systems in RMXP is that you almost always need to have the user of the system select which variables and switches are being used. This is a huge hassle for the user, who has to find everywhere that specific switch or variable is used in the event system and change it to the one he wants to use, since the maker of the event system cannot predict what switches and variables are already being used by the person who wants to use his system.

RMRK+ Format is designed to avoid that problem through two ways. (1) a series of guidelines for creating an efficient event system which reduces incompatibility, and (2) by maintaining a catalogue of variables and switches used in all previous RMRK+ Format Event Systems. In theory, this will mean that each and every RMRK+ Format System will be able to be plugged into any game without any hassle and without any incompatibility. This format should also function, to a smaller degree, as a guarantor for quality.

In short, RMRK+ Format is intended to ensure that any user will be able to plug in any RMRK+ Format event systems with minimal effort, and that it will be a quality event system.

Does this mean I can’t get my non-RMRK+ Format Event System moved into the database?

Not at all. RMRK+ Format will not be an enforced standard. All Event Systems are still welcome and the standards for having an event system moved in is still the same: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,19805.0.html.  What it does mean though, is that you are not able to advertise the system as RMRK+ Format, and you do not receive the benefits of RMRK+ Format.

The Requirements

An RMRK+ Format system has only four major requirements:

• You cannot use variables and switches reserved by other RMRK+ Format Event Systems
  • The Event System must have a demo
  • The Event System cannot be stolen from another Eventer. Permission to convert the system to RMRK+ Format must be granted by the original Eventer, and that Eventer must be given due credit
  • The system must be of good quality. A system that is of poor quality (inefficient, likely to cause lag when combined with other systems, etc…), may be refused acknowledgement as RMRK+ Format

Reserved Variables, Switches, & Common Events

Let’s start by defining which variables, switches, and common events should be reserved. First, any variables a user is reasonably expected to use to create his/her own systems and to advance their game. Since we cannot be sure, for obvious reasons, what these are, we will try to be safe and reserve variables 1-500, switches 1-800, and common events 1-50 for the user.

Next, we should also reserve temporary variables. These would be variables which can be used by any RMRK+ Format system. This means that prior to running each frame of the event system, we cannot expect these to have values, and at the end of each frame, we cannot expect them to save values to be used at a later time. In short, these are variables which should be internal to the event system. Basically, any RMRK+ Format Event System should be able to access and use these variables without interfering with another RMRK Format Event System. For this reason, you should not use these temporary variables in any situation where you could reasonably expect another RMRK Format System to be running. We will reserve 20 variables to this purpose, and so 501-520 are reserved as Temporary Variables. It is less useful to reserve switches to this purpose and so we will not bother.

Now, we should also reserve common-use variables. These would be variables which can be expected to hold the same value in any RMRK+ Format event system that is being run at the same time. The most commonly used variables of this sort are: Player’s Map X, Player’s Map Y, Player’s Screen X, Player’s Screen Y, Map ID. In any system in which these are used, they should be set in the event before using, and they cannot be modified in any way after setting them (I.E. Do not operate on these variables). You can use them in a conditional, but do not modify the value contained by these variables after you set them.  Again, it is not worthwhile to reserve any switches for this purpose.

Now, as to using common events: You do not need to reserve common events for any common events which have a trigger upon a switch. The only common events it is necessary to reserve are ones which you call through the event command Call Common Event. This is simply because any common events triggered by a switch can be pasted into any slot and will still work. The only reason to reserve a common event is if it is called through event commands.

Reserving Variables, Switches, & Common Events

You can reserve variables, switches, & common events for your own system by posting in this topic when you begin making your system. They will remain reserved for one month. Upon completing and submitting your system, the variables, switches, and common events you used will be reserved permanently.

Reserved Variables Catalogue

1-500    ~ User variables
501-520 ~ Temporary Usage Variables
521-526 ~ Common Usage Variables (521 - Player's Map X; 522 - Player's Map Y; 523 - Player's Screen X; 524 - Player's Screen Y; 525 - Map ID; 526 - Gold)
527-546 ~ modern algebra's BlackJack (being converted)
547-558 ~ Kipe's Level Up Effects
559-       ~ Unreserved

Reserved Switches Catalogue

1-800     ~ User Switches
801        ~ General Information Switch - used to enclose large chunks of comments
802-805  ~ Kipe's Level Up Effects
806-       ~ Unreserved

Reserved Common Events Catalogue

1-50    ~ User Common Events
51-       ~ Unreserved

Submitting Event Systems

You can submit an event system by posting the link to the topic in the submission thread (to be made soon) or by PMing me. It will then be evaluated and if it fits the requirements, the variables and switches used will be added to the Reserved lists and the Event System will be added to the RMRK+ Format Index

FAQ

Won't it be annoying to debug a system like that, since you'd have to scroll for a long time in debugging mode to get to a switch/variable

You can press the L & R buttons in debug mode to go down and up ten at a time in the left window. By default, these would be Q & W.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:29:03 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
(RMRK+ Format is just something I have decided to invent. I am taking the name 'RMRK' in vain mostly because 'Modern Algebra Format' makes me sound like a prick and I can't think of a better name right now. If anyone has any suggestions, I am waiting, hoping for you to post. I will try to think of a more appropriate name for it, but for now)

Introduction

What is an RMRK+ Format Event System?

The major problem with creating Plug & Play systems in RMXP is that you almost always need to have the user of the system select which variables and switches are being used. This is a huge hassle for the user, who has to find everywhere that specific switch or variable is used in the event system and change it to the one he wants to use, since the maker of the event system cannot predict what switches and variables are already being used by the person who wants to use his system.

RMRK+ Format is designed to avoid that problem through two ways. (1) a series of guidelines for creating an efficient event system which reduces incompatibility, and (2) by maintaining a catalogue of variables and switches used in all previous RMRK+ Format Event Systems. In theory, this will mean that each and every RMRK+ Format System will be able to be plugged into any game without any hassle and without any incompatibility. This format should also function, to a smaller degree, as a guarantor for quality.

In short, RMRK+ Format is intended to ensure that any user will be able to plug in any RMRK+ Format event systems with minimal effort, and that it will be a quality event system.

Does this mean I can’t get my non-RMRK+ Format Event System moved into the database?

Not at all. RMRK+ Format will not be an enforced standard. All Event Systems are still welcome and the standards for having an event system moved in is still the same: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,19805.0.html.  What it does mean though, is that you are not able to advertise the system as RMRK+ Format, and you do not receive the benefits of RMRK+ Format.

The Requirements

An RMRK+ Format system has only four major requirements:

• You cannot use variables and switches reserved by other RMRK+ Format Event Systems
  • The Event System must have a demo
  • The Event System cannot be stolen from another Eventer. Permission to convert the system to RMRK+ Format must be granted by the original Eventer, and that Eventer must be given due credit
  • The system must be of good quality. A system that is of poor quality (inefficient, likely to cause lag when combined with other systems, etc…), may be refused acknowledgement as RMRK+ Format

Reserved Variables, Switches, & Common Events

Let’s start by defining which variables, switches, and common events should be reserved. First, any variables a user is reasonably expected to use to create his/her own systems and to advance their game. Since we cannot be sure, for obvious reasons, what these are, we will try to be safe and reserve variables 1-500, switches 1-800, and common events 1-50 for the user.

Next, we should also reserve temporary variables. These would be variables which can be used by any RMRK+ Format system. This means that prior to running each frame of the event system, we cannot expect these to have values, and at the end of each frame, we cannot expect them to save values to be used at a later time. In short, these are variables which should be internal to the event system. Basically, any RMRK+ Format Event System should be able to access and use these variables without interfering with another RMRK Format Event System. For this reason, you should not use these temporary variables in any situation where you could reasonably expect another RMRK Format System to be running. We will reserve 20 variables to this purpose, and so 501-520 are reserved as Temporary Variables. It is less useful to reserve switches to this purpose and so we will not bother.

Now, we should also reserve common-use variables. These would be variables which can be expected to hold the same value in any RMRK+ Format event system that is being run at the same time. The most commonly used variables of this sort are: Player’s Map X, Player’s Map Y, Player’s Screen X, Player’s Screen Y, Map ID. In any system in which these are used, they should be set in the event before using, and they cannot be modified in any way after setting them (I.E. Do not operate on these variables). You can use them in a conditional, but do not modify the value contained by these variables after you set them.  Again, it is not worthwhile to reserve any switches for this purpose.

Now, as to using common events: You do not need to reserve common events for any common events which have a trigger upon a switch. The only common events it is necessary to reserve are ones which you call through the event command Call Common Event. This is simply because any common events triggered by a switch can be pasted into any slot and will still work. The only reason to reserve a common event is if it is called through event commands.

Reserving Variables, Switches, & Common Events

You can reserve variables, switches, & common events for your own system by posting in this topic when you begin making your system. They will remain reserved for one month. Upon completing and submitting your system, the variables, switches, and common events you used will be reserved permanently.

Reserved Variables Catalogue

1-500    ~ User variables
501-520 ~ Temporary Usage Variables
521-526 ~ Common Usage Variables (521 - Player's Map X; 522 - Player's Map Y; 523 - Player's Screen X; 524 - Player's Screen Y; 525 - Map ID; 526 - Gold)
527-546 ~ modern algebra's BlackJack (being converted)
547-558 ~ Kipe's Level Up Effects
559-       ~ Unreserved

Reserved Switches Catalogue

1-800     ~ User Switches
801        ~ General Information Switch - used to enclose large chunks of comments
802-805  ~ Kipe's Level Up Effects
806-       ~ Unreserved

Reserved Common Events Catalogue

1-50    ~ User Common Events
51-       ~ Unreserved

Submitting Event Systems

You can submit an event system by posting the link to the topic in the submission thread (to be made soon) or by PMing me. It will then be evaluated and if it fits the requirements, the variables and switches used will be added to the Reserved lists and the Event System will be added to the RMRK+ Format Index

FAQ

Won't it be annoying to debug a system like that, since you'd have to scroll for a long time in debugging mode to get to a switch/variable

You can press the L & R buttons in debug mode to go down and up ten at a time in the left window. By default, these would be Q & W.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:29:33 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 87
OMFG look!! Text! :D
amazing system, this organized event system really is something new. +rep for the great idea.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I'm glad you like it. Now we just need some VX Event Systems :P

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
People that submit these events should also agree to some sort of consistent naming convention for variables, switches, and common events.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:32:56 AM by Static_J »
}:-)>

Rep:
Level 97
Nah, a naming convention is not necessary in my opinion.

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Suit yourself, but its good programming etiquette.
}:-)>

Rep:
Level 97
I think the primary purpose of naming etiquette in programming is for compatibility - to ensure that the method or variable name is not used by any other program. That is unnecessary here and would simply be a hassle without any actual benefit.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I'd like to reserve variable 527!

Edit: Attached spike demo. These don't work near as well as my XP spikes, I was kind of dissapointed. I could make them work like that but I figure it's better to keep things simple if I can, yeah?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:21:46 PM by GilgameshRO »

Rep:
Level 97
Very clever system. I remember the spikes system that I made used like four variables and was just terribly set up. Anyway, very nice work.

I'll add you to the list (first entry) - I would suggest you make a topic perhaps, but for now I'll link to the post and it will be fine. And simple is always good, but it never hurts to throw up the complex version either :)

I really need to get on with converting my own system, but the limit of 20 for pictures is a huge detriment to picture eventing :P Maybe I'll write a script to extend the limit in some grossly convoluted way

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I really need to get on with converting my own system, but the limit of 20 for pictures is a huge detriment to picture eventing :P Maybe I'll write a script to extend the limit in some grossly convoluted way

I'd really like that, haha. I hate the 20 picture limit.

Rep:
Level 97
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,25260.0.html

If you can think of a better way to identify the label of the picture, please say so. I'm thinking maybe the value of the variable shouldn't be reset, but then again it might be a pain to remember to set it back to below 20 when you want to use the regular pictures... Well, whatever - I'll go with whatever your thoughts on the subject are

Rep:
Level 97
I am declaring to reserve variable 529

Rep:
Level 97

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009

Rep:
Level 97
haha, sorry, I meant to delete that post :P

It was so I could transfer ownership of the topic - I needed to see the old post so I could merge.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
lol idc, I know that Kipe's been working this topic recently

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Kipe, I updated my Mining and Woodcutting professions so that they fit the RMRK+ format.
Link: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,31261.msg385072.html#msg385072

Edit: Actually, I edited the post and added the event system for you incase you wouldn't be around for a bit. So no need to add it yourself. You can double check to make sure it's correct.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:08:10 AM by Kuja »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I also reinvented and slimmed down the Fishing Profession event system I made and fixed all the previous bugs. I didn't have a demo up for a while. I just put up the new demo, so it should be fine now, unless someone finds a bug or something. I fixed the first post again with the new info for this as well.

I added my Warp Items too.

Oh, I was thinking. You should think about linking the RMRK+ Event System Index in here somewhere. I don't really know where, so I'll leave that up to you to decide. I figure it'd be easier to see/find if you linked it here as well.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:34:02 AM by Kuja »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Was this topic not the RMRK+ Format?

This was childish and uncalled for to delete this. This topic has had nothing to do with you Kipe besides the fact that it was organized. This topic was for many other people and members, regardless if they're were the members you didn't like or not.

Roph, I doubt you'll see this part =o  but I think you mentioned that you have backups of the game sections every 3 days. Is it possible to pull this topic from there?

Rep:
Level 97
Was it Kipe who deleted it?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Kipe edited all of his posts to "." and deleted a lot of them.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Yes. He changed the subject to "Delete my account" and changed the first post to "." and that's it.

Rep:
Level 97
Well, he's banned now. Have you PMed Roph already? If not, I will.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
On what date did kipe leave? Or rather, what date did the vandalism start? =o
bringing sexy back