RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A new battle system?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Well, Falcon and I have decided to band together to make a new battle system. With both of our talents, we should defiantly be able to make a good system. The problem is; we don't know what battle system to make!

So, we decided we'd let the community have input in to the system we make. We'll make a brainstorming topic, and then Falcon and I will go through it, and make a poll with some ideas we like.

Before you give us some battle system ideas, please take a minute and make a good request, complete with mock ups (or screenshots if taken from another RPG). Also, please don't post a link to a battle system request topic; we want every idea in this one topic.

Thanks for reading, and please post your battle system ideas here ^_^
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 02:43:08 PM by Zeriab »

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki

How about a tactical battle system? With isometric maps? Not 8-point diagonal, but in the style that is you press 'up' that cursor would go north-east?

When you use skills, you get to select a target and make the enemies standing next to the target to be damaged, too?
You could easily edit yourself the range and damage points of skills. Enemies and characters would have pop-up windows with Hp and Mp display.
You could press a button while highlighting a target to see the status of it.

As said, you were open for suggestions.  ;8
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 87
A good battle system that I never saw no one do it is the valkyrie profile 2: silmeria battle system.

Quote from wikipedia: "Battles consist of a Three-Dimensional battle terrain and includes elements not seen in the original game, such as the ability to pincer and attack the enemies from behind. Time does not flow while the player is not moving and not holding the left thumbstick down, giving him time to plan out where he will move next and examine the displayed areas the enemy units may attack. The party may now conduct a Leader Assault. Simply put, targeting the leader of the enemy unit and destroying him or her will end the battle quickly without having to take out the rest. Battles also incorporate the use of Attack Points (AP), which are needed to act in battle. Points are consumed as you attack, and are replenished when you kill an enemy, are attacked by an enemy, or move around allowing time to pass freely. Einherjar have up to three attacks assigned for use in battle from a longer list of attacks."

I think a cool thing you could do with this system is to make some skills make damage to your party members if they are to close to the target  

Some images of in-game battle system:

youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBR30bKncQw

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Er....please make a sane request, how do you expect us to do 3D in RMXP?

Rep:
Level 87
i not saying you to make it 3D just to take the ideia of the game (the Attack Points, attack the enemies from behind, etc...)  :)

well it's a ideia...

Rep:
Level 91
Well i like Ferenn's idea, it would be Ub3r cool with a battle system like that.

And Zeriab, you sure got some intiative there. Like 8/10 times, i quit my projects.

Please don't spam the topic saying you like an idea, that's going to make it more annoying for me and Zeriab to go through when it's time for us to go to the next step.

Edited by Zeriab: Added the post Falcon was responding to
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 06:12:38 PM by Zeriab »

Rep:
Level 92
We will only make a 2D battle system. If we were to create a 3D battle system we would definitely not use RMXP.
Being 2D is the only restriction you should consider when giving ideas.
Difficulty is not something you should consider.

On a side note. Remember this is a brainstorm topic.
While it's kind of you to make a post like gameo's request you not to post it. Not in our brainstorming topic.
Constructive critics of other peoples ideas are totally fine.
I will remove posts like gameo's to keep this topic clean. I have included it in spoilers for you to see what I am talking about (Sorry about using you as an example gameo)
Spoiler for gameo's post:
Well i like Ferenn's idea, it would be Ub3r cool with a battle system like that.

And Zeriab, you sure got some intiative there. Like 8/10 times, i quit my projects.

Rep:
Level 87
Ummm... a ATBS? lol IDK, but I need one so >___>

How about that tactics one? That looked pretty neat.

OR, if there hasn't been one yet, a Legend of Dragoon battle system (like, press space at the right moment to continue a combo...)

I'd use it >_>.

Rep:
Level 91
Oh god, this place is filled with fucking idiots.....

Before you give us some battle system ideas, please take a minute and make a good request, complete with mock ups (or screenshots if taken from another RPG). Also, please don't post a link to a battle system request topic; we want every idea in this one topic.

If we get more comments like Rathalos', I think we're just going to have to move this topic to another forum (probably creationaslyum or hbgames.org) so smart people will post.

Rep:
Level 88
I apologize if this isn't enough of a post. Here is a battle system.

A Grandia 3 battle system. It includes a action turnbased battle. Here is a basic screenshot of it.

The ring at the top left hand corner shows who gets to go next. The icons go around the circle at different speeds and once they reach a certain point in the circle, the player can input what they want that charcter to do. Then the red part is the preperation part for that attack. When the character is preparing, if another enemy attacks with a powerful attack, the character's attack is canceled. The same goes for enemies.

If you need me to eleaborate more, just ask. And no 3-d graphics. But a battle system with a cancel ability would be great.

Rep:
Level 90
Skilled Scripter, Shitty Mapper, Decent Writer.
[img]How about a tactical battle system? With isometric maps? Not 8-point diagonal, but in the style that is you press 'up' that cursor would go north-east?
I've decided to try my hand at a FF Tactics system once I finish a card system request. I may work slow but I make sure everything works exactly as intended before I move on to the next little part of code. Also, if Zeriab and Falcon decide to work on a FF Tactics-like system like what Ferenn described, I'd like to combine my future efforts with theirs.

Rep:
Level 87
Sorry falcon, yeah, that was pretty retarded of me >_<

Anyway,, would it be possible to make a ABS similair to a Monster Hunter one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ggQq49UnbEo&mode=related&search=

^^^ (monster Hunter)

Like, A stamina/ Health bar, followed by the character, then items down below, and you can change them by holding something down and pressing --> or <--. Though, I'm not exactly sure how you'd implement skills... Hotkey ftw?

Rep:
Level 87
I wish i had a pony ...
ok well i looked everywhere for a picture of the Skies of Arcadia: Ship to ship combat system grid but could not find a single picture... YARG so i made some crappy paint visuals

ill do my best to describe it (dont flame its a really simple but good system)((worth looking into))

If you havent played the game, theres 2 types of combat, the usual turn based random encounter system, and the innovative one of a kind ship to ship combat system. 

the idea is when your airship encounters an enemy airship the ships face off in a turned based grid strategy battle.

When it is your turn a menu appears with a 4 x 4 grid like this:

you select all 4 of your character's moves at one time by placing the icons onto the corresponding grid which will then be executed at the end of the turn in a cinematic 8 turn sequence.(4 moves for you, 4 for the enemy) 

each character(the poorly drawn smiley faces) has a horizontal line, depending on which turn you select the character to perform an action on, the desired action's icon will appear on the grid in accordance to the x and y axis, so if the first character(smiley) is selected to attack on turn one the "attack" icon will appear like so:

Also when a character is selected to perform the "attack" function a drop down list of which cannon to attack with is shown, each cannon has a specific attack power and specific amount of points it costs to use.

the points are displayed at the top of the screen with a bar and a box with the specific number

A specific amount of points is allotted per turn to ensure a limited amount of attacks.  however if the player elects not to select an attack and doesnt use any of his turn's points, the points carry onto the next turn. this contributes to the tactical feeling of the ship battles.

each red X is a block that can no longer be used, this ensures only one character action is performed each turn.

When enough points are acquired a special devastating move may be utilized, only one per turn is allowed

The enemy's AI works the same way as the player in it's completetion of a 4x4 tactical grid each turn

so when you are done selecting your four moves, your enemy will also have completed his grid

the result is an 8 turn alternating tactical ship battle of corresponding ship cinematics for each action

for example, movie of your ship will be shown, firing a cannon, and then a movie of the enemy ship wil be shown getting hit.  This could be accomplished utilizing pictures and animations instead of cinematics

also to add another tactical point to the grid, each turn (1 2 3 4) is marked by a color(either red yellow or green)
the corresponding colors on the turn give hints as to what the enemy AI is about to do,

for example if turn 1 is yellow, caution is advised to the player when selecting an action for a character to perform.  if the turn color is red, it is usually a sign that an enemy is going to use a special attack, and it would be wise to defend or use a repair kit.

Im not sure how well i explained it but this battle system seems to me to be doable with advanced knowledge of menus and such,

If you still dont understand the system, i apologize, and suggest you research it by buying the game (Skies of Arcadia Legends for GC) or reading a better review by a good website like GameFAQs

i hope i could help, this is a monster of a post!

feel free to ask more :)

==== EDIT====
youtube clip of this battle system at work!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rP3VMD_pxjs

i hope this can clear things up a bit
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 01:46:42 AM by Farflong »
FF-11 was a tough game, but i beat it! with the help of friends :) www.geocities.com/farflong41

Rep:
Level 91
You really need to post screenshots for that huge of a post.

Rep:
Level 87
is something like the earlier command and conquers possible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yaIRoIW7Ag
I don't have a signature

Rep:
Level 92
Right now you shouldn't not consider whether it's possible or not as long as it is not 3D
We are seeking well-formed ideas.

I like some of what I have seen
Keep them coming ^_^

Edit: A sticky due to the popularity
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 07:04:05 PM by Zeriab »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
This has been requested a few times here.

A custom battle system like Paper Mario Thousand Year Doors, minus the audience. With the star power for leveling up and everything. The battle system has you perform attacks based n timing or how fast you tap a button. And you can also hit a button right before you get hit to - 1 damage from their attack. And change your party member. (Max: Mario and 1 party member) Basically timed hits define how much damage you deal. You enter a normal battle by touching an enemy, or hitting an enemy.

Paper Mario 2

Paper Mario 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Mario:_Thousand-Year_Door#Battle_system
Quote from: Wikipedia
Battles in The Thousand-Year Door borrow heavily from the original Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. The turn-based system, in which players select an attack, defense, or item from a menu, is augmented by timed button presses that, when performed correctly, can result in substantial attack or defense bonuses.

In The Thousand-Year Door, Mario's party members now each have their own Heart Points (HP) and they may receive any attack that Mario can receive. When a partner's Heart Points are reduced to 0, the partner becomes inactive for the rest of that battle and later battles until at least one of its Heart Points are restored. If Mario's Heart Points are reduced to 0, however, the game ends even if partners are still available (the only exceptions to this rule are when Mario is defeated during a fight in the Glitz Pit, or if the party has a Life Shroom in their inventory, which restores 10 Heart Points when either Mario or his partner falls). Flower Points are shared between Mario and his party members.

Defeating enemies awards various numbers of Star Points to Mario; for every 100 Star Points, Mario is able to level up, choosing between three character statistic enhancements. Selecting Health (HP) adds the specified number of points to Mario's maximum Heart Points, allowing him to last longer in battle; opting for Flower Points (FP) gives Mario and his partners additional ability to perform special moves; and finally selecting Badge Points (BP) increases the number of badges Mario can equip at any given time. In The Thousand-Year Door, Mario's maximum level is 99, as opposed to 27. Also, there is a limit to Heart Points (200), Flower Points (200), and Badge Points (99) as in the original Paper Mario.

Eventually, individual enemies may give him no Star Points; however, Mario will gain at least one Star Point after winning a battle.

Quote from: GameFaqs
  Mario attacks then his partner attacks -- this order can be reversed if you 
choose -- then the enemies attack. Use this to your advantage. If their are 3 
enemies and it's possible to eliminate 2 of them, do so. It saves HP and time 
by using the correct attacks. Example; Mario enters battle with Koops. They   
fight a Goomba and 2 Paragoomba. Since Koops cannot jump we use Mario to kill 
1 of the Paragoomba. Koops then eliminates the Goomba. Only one enemy remains 
and the Paragoomba's attack is easily defended against leaving the team with   
decent Star Points and the same amount of HP and FP when they initiated the   
battle. Simple things such as that will prove useful during the game.   

Quote from: Netjak.com
The background set can fall over and damage the battle participants or the fog machine can cover the stage in fog, making everyone’s attacks miss.

Quote from: Nintendo
Timing Action Commands in turn-based battles help you dodge or inflict damage

Quote from: GamePro.com
it's the unique battle system that takes center stage. Utilizing precisely timed button presses (that vary according to which character you're using), players can do extra damage or even avoid getting hit. This action-oriented approach to the standard RPG formula is probably the most engaging features of the game (right next to the super-clean graphics) and succeeds in relieving the tedium that sometimes accompanies turn-based battle systems. Classic RPG elements (like turn-based battles, item stores, and a rich plotline) flesh out classic

Status Effects
Allergic - Removes all other status effects
Atk-up - Raises attack power
Burned - Deals fire damage at the end of every turn.
Charged - Raises power for next attack
Confused - Causes character to ignore commands
Def-Down - Lowers defense
Def-Up - Raises defense
Dizzy - Lowers accuracy
Dodgy - Enables character to avoid most attacks
Electrified - Inflicts damage on enemys that attack directly
Fast - Enables two attacks per turn
Frozen - Disables movement and actions
Gradual FP - Gradually recovers flower points (SP)
Gradual HP - Gradually recovers Hit Points
Huge - Raises attack power
Immobilized - Disables all actions
Invisible - Enables character to avoid all attacks
Kknocked Out - Ends character's participation in battle (if mario is KO'd you get a game over)
PayBack - Deals damage to all attackers
Poison - Deals damage at the end of every turn
Sleepy - Disables all actions (negated when attacked)
Slow - Limits actions to every other turn
Tiny - Lowers attack power

Basic Commands
Jump:
The jump command deals damage to enemys by stomping on them. Stomping on fire or a spike will only deal damage to you.

Hammer:
You can only target an enemy in front, and on the ground.

Items:
Items aid you in battle You can find items that restore HP and FP, attack enemyas, set a status attack, and more.

Special:
At the end of each chapter, you will recieve a special move. Each special move will use star power.

Tactics:
These are the tactics commands;

Swap partner - Changes your current partner in battle.

Appeal - Taunts the enemy to replenish some star power.

Defend - This decreases the amount of damage you take for that turn.

Run Away - You can escape the battle.

Action commands

These commands will be your best friend through out the whole of the game.   
With precise timing you will be able to do more damage and receive less damage
from your enemies. Words will appear in the background if you did the Action   
Command correctly -- Nice! being the first word that appears in a sequence.   
To do an Action Command simply use timing to do extra damage. Mario's hammer   
attack requires you to hold Left until the large red circle is filled. When it
is filled release Left do get the Action Command. This applies for all attack 
Action Commands, unfortunately not all of them are that easily timed and take 
practice. To defend successfully using Action Commands, time when your enemy   
will attack you. Pressing A when your enemy strikes will defend the attack and
Mario/Partner will take less damage. If you have perfect timing, press B. When
you press B instead of A Mario or his Partner will spin and deflect the enemy 
back, causing damage to the enemy. This requires precise timing and is not     
recommended for first time players. Only use it if you feel confident in your
ability to do it.

Star Points     
  These help Mario gain a level. You get them from winning battles. The harder |
the enemy, the more Star Points you will get. Bosses generally give 30 Star    |
Points. Once Mario has gained 100 Star Points he will level up.         

First Strike                     
  To initialize a "First Strike" jump on or hammer an enemy on the field, there
are multiple other ways to do this using your partners abilities as well. This
will allow the party to attack before the battle begins, thus making the battle
less difficult. Use the First Strike to your advantage whenever possible.   

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 04:36:34 PM by Irock »

Rep:
Level 91
Also, please don't post a link to a battle system request topic; we want every idea in this one topic.

Not you too Nouman -.-

We're probably going to move this topic to another forum, people here seem to be unable to read the first post.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
What about my request? I read the first post. :o

Rep:
Level 92
What about my request? I read the first post. :o

We extending to another forum doesn't mean we won't check here anymore.
We thank everyone who read and followed what we have written in the first post ^_^

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
I'm basically Yoda's brother

How about a tactical battle system? With isometric maps? Not 8-point diagonal, but in the style that is you press 'up' that cursor would go north-east?

When you use skills, you get to select a target and make the enemies standing next to the target to be damaged, too?
You could easily edit yourself the range and damage points of skills. Enemies and characters would have pop-up windows with Hp and Mp display.
You could press a button while highlighting a target to see the status of it.

As said, you were open for suggestions.  ;8
i like that idea. ;D

just so everyone knows, im 15 years old.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
If you were to do a TBS, I recommend not an isometric map, but a map that works up,left,right, and down to increase compatibility with the RTP sprites.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
spam. its a request, not a chat. Locked on request by falcon.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 92
No reason to keep this stickied.
This topic has been saved so you don't have to worry about your ideas going to waste.