RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Project of the Month

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
This means a lot to me, thanks. :)

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
You deserve it. Good job.

<3
Rep:
Level 90

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
I'm basically Yoda's brother
wait a sec. no offence but i see a flaw in this system.

blizzard was the first winner of potm. the game he made is an adventure game. so obbviously he likes adventure games. so he's gonna pick an adventure game as the next potm. the person that made that adventure game likes adventure games too, so he'll pick another adventure game , and the cycle continues. it's a loop, it won't stop. because: what ever type of game you like the most, you will make (it's a known fact).

here's the diagram:

do you understand it?

just so everyone knows, im 15 years old.

Shooting for the "MEMBER MODERATOR OF THE YEAR 2007" Award
Rep:
Level 89
Hi, there.
Makes since. I think this voting method was best. Fadark makes an exellent point. When one person has to choose. Bias comes into play. POTM should be vote only, that way it is a community decision.
Sig by MacGravel

<3
Rep:
Level 90
It is possible for someone for someone to like more than one type of game....is it?

~Winged

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
While I do agree with the point to some extent, I personally believe that there are several general traits to be judged for a nomination, no matter the type of game. For example, technicality, originality, perhaps mapping, and portrayal of RM well-used overall.

Now looking at the suggestion; even if this was done by voting, the exact same bias would occur due to the fact that, in this case, the community is a RPG maker community. And the majority, would inevitably be, RPGers.

Not to mention that now when there are a lot of random people voting, the actual decision by each individual would become less and less careful as the number of participants increase; resulting in a higher likelihood for people to choose simply what game (type) they like.

Where as when an individual nominee from prior chooses, the pressure of choice is focused on the single individual, which results in a more concentrated and careful choice; because unlike the voting scenerio, the choice of the (only) individual is identifiable directly to the person him/herself (as opposed to anonymous in voting). I believe that this tends to lead to a more considerate decision in terms of overall quality of the choice as a whole.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
good point. what can we do about this?

[edit]
i got an idea! how about, each month, 10 random people are chosen to pick that month's potm. the game with the majority of the 10 poeple's votes is the potm!

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
what happens if there is a tie? or if no two people pick the same game? As well, what random process could we use to generate the comittee? What if we choose people who are not active in RM section? What if we pick two friends (any game they choose would have a good chance of winning)? By that process, I think it is too likely that undeserving games would be selected. I know that Eye of the Tiger got a serious comment saying it looked good, when even the creator made it to be bad.

Needless to say, I don't like that idea much... but I am open to suggestions. The main thing I am worried about is that the PotM has to be worthy. The idea behind this is first, it gives the creator recognition for his/her efforts, and second, that visitors to the forum who may not be willing to look through the entire forum are able to find a good game which is representative of what you can do with RM. Any method which has a possibility of selecting bad games I am not particularly open to. I wouldn't worry so much about bias. Most game creators are open to more types of games then just RPGs.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 12:27:41 AM by modern algebra »

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
what happens if there is a tie?
between the 10 people, we pick the person who has the most rep, and he get's the final choice between the 2 (or more) games that tied.

or if no two people pick the same game?
same as ubove

what random process could we use to generate the comittee?
the last winner of the potm picks 3, blizzard picks 2, modern algebra picks 2, and other  highly ranked people pick the other 5.

What if we choose people who are not active in RM section?
we check to make sure they are posting frequently in this section. and make sure they have enough posts

What if we pick two friends
cant happen [see: what random process could we use to generate the comittee?]

Rep:
Level 97
Maybe...

I don't really see how random selection can solve the problem of bias, since assuming 4/5 of the active members prefer RPGs, then it is likely that most of the comittee would prefer RPGs, since they are being selected from a population which is biased towards RPGs. It's a nice suggestion though. It's good to think about these things.

I think I am going to leave the decision of how the next winner gets picked up to the previous winner though. If Reives would prefer to form a comittee, then he can. If he wants to select directly, he can. If he wants to make a poll, then he can. I'll leave the way he selects up to him entirely. Hopefully, in the end, a wide range of game types will be represented as projects of the month.

But yeah, to summarize, I will leave the selecting of the winner to the previous winner. How he/she selects is up to them.

But... do you guys want me to set up a poll on how you think the winner should be selected? At least for Reives, I will leave the decision entirely up to him, but maybe for the next months I could implement whatever the outcome of the poll is? Maybe not?

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
I have to agree with fadark.

If 4/5[6] of the active members like RPGs, then you should find the other 1/5[6].
6 being neutral.

To make sure members actually look at games, and do stuff, you should at least make sure they have over 350 (more, probably) posts and just so they do know what's going on with rmrk.net, and actually look at the games (and they have to be active!), and the person with more rep shouldn't count more, that just shows the potm isn't totally fair. You should randomly pick a new member for it to break the tie, and that can't fail, because naturally, the game with more votes gets it. And there isn't a tie anymore.

It is possible for someone for someone to like more than one type of game....is it?

~Winged

Winged's got a good point there. [6]

Also, why not make sure they play the game, and require a screen shot. And not just vote for the one they did play. Rather than the one they didn't

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Fadark's rep system plan won't work, since rep doesn't mean anything. People really abuse that rep system.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Fadark's rep system plan won't work, since rep doesn't mean anything. People really abuse that rep system.

Take you for example....?

Like I said, find a tie breaker person.

1000 post...

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
meh, I jut pissed some people off xD

A tie breaker person should be chosen by how much they help, and how experienced they are, and dedicated to play the game.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
A tie breaker should be chosen whether or not they're helpful.
They should be chosen at random.

Rep:
Level 102
So you'd like there to be a tie breaker that doesn't even care? It's a way to see how dedicated to RPG Maker they are, and how willing they are to help out the community.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
I think of POTM as an advertisement thing more than an award though...

~Winged

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
meh, I jut pissed some people off xD

True enough...

-

So you'd like there to be a tie breaker that doesn't even care? It's a way to see how dedicated to RPG Maker they are, and how willing they are to help out the community.

To make sure members actually look at games, and do stuff, you should at least make sure they have over 350 (more, probably) posts and just so they do know what's going on with rmrk.net, and actually look at the games (and they have to be active!)

Also, why not make sure they play the game, and require a screen shot. And not just vote for the one they did play. Rather than the one they didn't

Winged is 100% right.

Rep:
Level 97

~Winged

Advertisement is part of the award to the game creator, in my opinion.

Anyway I kind of like the system how it is. I mean, yes, chances are good that a majority of the winners will be RPGs, but then again a majority of RM games are RPGs, so it kind of makes sense. While yes, a single person will have bias, I don't think there is a simple solution, but I do think that the best chance for a puzzle game, or any other game, to win is through the selection of a single person, because the more people we include in the vote, the more diehard RPG fans there will be. Just look at the poll I did for May. Forlorn Manor did not get any votes, even though in my opinion it is a great game. A democratic selection process will likely result in RPGs being chosen, since that is representative of the population. But, a single game maker will likely be able to choose one that is not an RPG, since the decision is entirely up to him, and there's no certainty that he prefers RPGs over any other type of game. Fadark is a fine example. You are making three games, an RPG, an Adventure, and a Pac-man game. All three are different genres. I am sure that any winner will choose the game they feel is the best, and I don't think that all RPG makers will choose an RPG.

That's my opinion. I like the system we have. However, as I have said before, it is a community thing, and if you guys would like me to make a poll, I can.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:34:51 PM by modern algebra »

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!

~Winged

But then again, advertisement is good, because if it's an awesome underground game, and no one saw it, it'll have the POTM on it, and more people will play it!

I'm neutral to the poll.

And Fadark, I think you're going to get a lot of reactions with your games, once they're done.
Most of all, the Pac-Man, it's never been done in RPG Maker (from what I know) and it
s clearly going to make a boom because of it's originality.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
I suppose advertising is only 1 of many reasons why there is a POTM. I've noticed it shows the finer side to rmrk.net rmxp projects but it may make some other's feel excluded...

~Winged

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
alright, I have a suggestion.
(here's what I'm probably gonna use on my site if I do POTM)

1) the project must meet requirements to be moved into Projects Main
2) the last POTM winner should choose 5 or so projects that they feel
   exemplefy the standards of POTM
3) open a poll with these 5 games to the public for voting the last week
   of the month
4) poll winner == the next POTM (in case of a tie, previous POTM winner selects
   the winner)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 97
That seems like a good idea. The only problem I can foresee is that some people may not like 5 games on the forum, and so they might pick some of the choices randomly. That's not a very big problem of course, and it might be imaginary.

Reives has already chosen, but I think for the next months, I will just give the winners an option to either select directly, or to set up a poll between choices they think are worthy, to a maximum of 5.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
ok, glad you like the Idea

I just don't really agree with the Idea the a POTM winner could just choose their friend's game instead of one that is truly POTM material
(I like site voting better, it gives a much wider idea of what the site considers POTM material)

of course it should be suggested that the winner of POTM were to select games from a variety of genre and styles, but I'm sure that given a choice, anyone who is interested would vote properly.

After all, you can't ensure everything in voting will be perfect.
(I mean, just look at America's presidential elections)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon