RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Screenshot Thread

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Think I'll lighten the grass and add a bit of autumn yellows and blues in there. Really make it feel foresty. Thanks for the advice, been a while (1 year) since I did anything like this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:10:39 PM by Gracie the Bitey »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
nothing has a shadow either so pretty much no matter what you do it'll stay looking like that until there are at least hints of shadows lol. So the color shift is a good idea and also add shadows.

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2012 Best Artist2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season

An example of a map made with steampunk tiles Celianna and I collaborated on.  ^-^
My current project:

Rep:
Level 75
I give that a 8/10 it is a little cluttered but a nice tile set

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:
John 3:16: For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
That tileset is gorgeous Lunarea. Great job!

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
Pretty awesome, just one question, what's with the bridge type thing in the bottom-right-ish corner?

Gods ain't gonna help ya son...

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
I think I'm in love with that tileset. It's absolutely gorgeous. The map is very nice as well, albeit cluttered, but I'm assuming the tileset it what you want critique on so I'll ignore that.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2012 Best Artist2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season
@CodeMaster:
Thanks! I won't be using the map, so I'm not worried about all the clutter. But I appreciate the comment!~

@modern algebra:
Thank you. Collaborating on it was such a blast, too. A great experience overall.

@Strak:
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. Is there something wrong with it, or is it just the placement you're wondering about?

@Ryosis:
Yes, I did want feedback on the tiles (and thank you!) :)
I wouldn't use any of my mapping examples as actual maps, because they're way too busy and they're not designed with gameplay in mind. However, the example maps serve two important purposes: 1) to show how well the tiles fit together and 2) to demonstrate how the tiles are meant to be used. Although using my tiles seems very obvious to me, I've caught a few instances where someone used them wrong. For example, my inner tiles have a wall lamp/sconce. Based on the shape and the shadow, it's very obvious to me that it goes against the wall. But I've seen people use it in lieu of table lamps. So, I've made a couple example maps that show which lamp goes on the wall and which goes on tables. It's much easier to explain little things like that with a visual aid.  :D
My current project:

Rep:
Level 89
... I got nothing.
This is my latest map, a simple Field with a farm.  I think my biggest problem with open fields is finding a way to block off players. Comments would be nice.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
It's way too square. Try to make it look more natural. I also think the objects and trees in the field are too evenly spread apart. Try to create a variance in the spacing.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I was bored, so I decided to mess around with the Inquisitor set some more.
Spoiler for "Castle~":

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I think it's way too empty. You should also use the wooden autotile ceiling... thing instead of the stone one.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I think it looks fine empty. Castles are roomy.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
This is my latest map, a simple Field with a farm.  I think my biggest problem with open fields is finding a way to block off players. Comments would be nice.

Aside from the obvious fact that this is huge, there's not much going on.  I appreciate that you placed all those doodads around the area, but it would be better if there were also one or two real landmarks, even if it's just an unenterable barn or a parked caravan.

For the edges, try using cliffs to block the path.  A one-tile-high cliff is a realistic and easy natural wall.  It can go either down or up from the main path.

The curved road looks fine but the curved fence seems weird.  Fences are usually straight and cover a rectangular (or at least polygonal) area, because they go up to the edges of property lines.  Put something else in the way, like a small but dense group of trees, to explain why the path curves around that spot.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
First three maps of the first dungeon of my game.  It starts out with our hero being slowly lowered into a vat of lava.  With sharks.  The rest of the dungeon is the villain's shark factory, complete with laser sharks, acid sharks, rocket sharks, and a giant shark wearing sunglasses.

Opinions?  I'm most concerned about the first map, both because it's the intro, and because I'm not sure the combination of graphics styles works well.  I feel like it clashes too much but I might just be imagining it since I'm the only one who knows for sure which tiles came from what sources.  Please let me know anything that seems wrong or off or even just unusual, for all three maps of course.

Spoiler for "Room 1":
Spoiler for "Room 2":
Spoiler for "Room 3":

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
The perspective of the tank in the first screen looks really off to me. Also, the ground could use a bit of shadow or something.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
I thought it looked like the same perspective as the crates and barrels and such.  Do you think it should be more side-view or more overhead?

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
More overhead.

Rep:
Level 88
Menu & Battle System Guru

An example of a map made with steampunk tiles Celianna and I collaborated on.  ^-^
Looks great!

Rep:
Level 88
Menu & Battle System Guru
@IAMFORTE:
Hmm...I think I understand. A tile piece that I can use next to each other? Or something more like an autotile (in a sense..)?

Well, here is a small forest map screenshot. Someone helped me out with toggling, which I  had no idea about, and now my screenshots won't have those annoying lines :P

I think I need more mountains...? And the cluster's shadow in the center doesn't look like it matches very well. Maybe its because of the grass I added underneath? >.>

Spoiler for:

Looks pretty good, mate. I'd add some lighting effects and I think it will be pretty solid.

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Thanks, blazinhandle!

We finished some inner tiles too. So, another example map is in order:
My current project:

pokeball XIVOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 72
RMRK Junior
@LockeZ The maps have that factory atmosphere you're looking for, that's why they're great. As far as the first one goes, the perspective on the lava tank is a bit off. Other than that I don't see any problems...

Rep:
Level 84
Lunarea, I really like your maps.

Is it hard to Parallax map? I've been wanting to try it out, but can't find any good tutorials to how to do it.

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
@DarkCodeZero:
It's pretty much the similar to regular mapping, only you have more control of how and where you layer things. It can take longer to line things up, however, so it may not be an effective solution to maps that are easily made in editor.

The only tool you need is an art program that supports layers and has a grid option. Using the 32x32 pixel grid, you can line things up in a way that would allow for walking room.

You can build your base in RM editor, save it as a parallax and add details in the art program. Or you can build the whole thing in the paint program, just using copy/paste of different tiles.
My current project:

Rep:
Level 82
My first ever attempts at battlers. I made a variety of each enemy. All 4 won't show up at once, but this is the best way to show them off.