RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Is this generation killing music?

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Fair enough, I need to learn more about the past. :-\
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
          I think this generation is killing music. People access it too easily. If there's a song you want, just take it from limewire. I only know a few people who don't use limewire, two of which used to. Heck, even I use it once in a while. Whatever happened to requesting your favorite song on the radio? Whatever happened to listening to the radio all night long just to hear your favorite song? Whatever happened to buying albums and putting them in a portable CD player?
          I believe that CD players make music more enjoyable. People say that iPods and other mp3 players make it more convenient, because you don't have to switch disks, but just because it's more convenient doesn't make it more fun. Your favorite songs get listened to less and less, as you focus on your ABSOLUTE favorites. But with a CD player, you often are tempted to skip around to your favorite songs on the same disk, until you grow tired of it and finally your boredom of the disk you're listening to beats your laziness of not wanting to switch them, and another disk gets to be listened to, and perhaps skipped around on, giving more of your music more attention.
          Most people these days have no right to call themselves "fans" of any music artist. Back in the day, our parents often had posters of their favorite bands in their rooms. I got two full-size posters - one with anime girls and one with the grim reaper. I don't have a Sean Paul poster or a Green Day poster. (Primarily because I'm afraid of being called "gay" for having posters of guy bands in my room.) If you HAVE to download their music, then you should at least have a poster or something like that if you want to call yourself a fan. If you have no poster, then you should at least try to BUY an album.
          I wanna find the guy who invented iTunes, and smack him in the face with a hot, right off the smelting belts iPod. That bastard! You can buy single songs off iTunes for $1.00, but not before they code your email into it, and put a lock on it that doesn't allow you to put it on other computers without accessing your account there too, and so they can send you spam mail if you burn more than 5 disks with the same song on it. And do you think the musicians get paid much? No! They deserve proper payment for their lyrical art! Sure they make a lot off concerts, but owning a song should mean paying monetary respects to the artist, not to his publisher. Atlantic Records should get 10% of the profits, while the artist gets 90%. But unfortunately, it's the other way around.
          Teens these days have no respect for music, or the artists who make it. I buy albums whenever I can. I NEVER download a song from an artist I consider a fan of. I don't just listen to singers and bands, I RESPECT them. And so should you.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best MusicianFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member
Um... wow. You should really think next time before you decide to post.

1. Yes, downloading music hurts musicians' income. No, it is not a significant amount. If Dream Theater really wants the $0.20 they would have gotten if I purchased their albums, then I'll give it to them. OK, that's a bad example because they condone bootlegging and pirating.

In fact, there are many artists who support pirating because otherwise their music would not be heard as often as if people had to pay for the grossly overpriced CDs. Other artists simply don't care because they get larger income from concerts and initial royalties.

2. Posters =/= Better fan of music.

3. Yes, the record companies should be giving a bigger cut to the artists but that's the way business works.

4. If this generation is killing music, it is not because they download it. It's because the majority have poor taste and idolize "musicians" with very little talent. It's quantity over quality; buying the brand name.

5. Not sure what CD Players vs. MP3 players has to do with this, but it's pretty silly to not prefer something that's more convenient to use when they both give the same result. The only reason to use a CD Player is CD quality > MP3 quality. Some people just don't want to carry 20 CD's and a player around with them when they can just take a little MP3 player.

6. You have no room to discuss other people "killing music", since you're part of #4.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
          You're just disagreeing with me because you hate me. It's a good thing you're not a moderator, because if you were, this would be called a "conflict of interest". Oh wait, you're an admin! This IS a conflict of interest you psycho!  ;8

You're mom's part of #4.

I'm not disagreeing with you on #4. Anybody who listens to Brittany Spears, or STILL listens to her now, needs to get a life. Same goes for Nsync and the Backstreet Boys.

#2 is correct as well. Weird Al himself said he has no problem with file sharers. But if you ask me, if all file sharers or anything that allows the illegal downloading of music, just ceased to exist, then there would be just as much spread of music without it, because more people would buy albums, or borrow them from friends.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 03:50:05 AM by Animefan »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
How is having an educated opinion a conflict of interest?  :-\

But I'll give way to the ;8 and treat that as if you were joking anyway, though it doesn't seem so.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:02:53 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Counsel2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Once again folks,

Animefan does not know what he is talking about.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best MusicianFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member
          You're just disagreeing with me because you hate me. It's a good thing you're not a moderator, because if you were, this would be called a "conflict of interest". Oh wait, you're an admin! This IS a conflict of interest you psycho!  ;8

Holding a position of authority does not mean I can't disagree with members, or that I should hold my tongue (or fingers, for that matter) when I see someone post something stupid. If that were the case I'd remove this status immediately. As far as hating you: I don't. But don't get me wrong, I don't exactly like you either. Hating someone you've only encountered online is pretty shallow, but I know you like to think you're important enough for people to hold such strong feelings against you, so if it makes you feel better go ahead.

You're mom's part of #4.

Quote from: Board Description
Only intelligent debate/chat will be allowed.

?_? Maybe you shouldn't be posting in here.

#2 is correct as well. Weird Al himself said he has no problem with file sharers. But if you ask me, if all file sharers or anything that allows the illegal downloading of music, just ceased to exist, then there would be just as much spread of music without it, because more people would buy albums, or borrow them from friends.

Nobody asked you. But since you brought it up: you're only partially right. More people would purchase music legally but it wouldn't be anything significant. Many people who pirate music still purchase it.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Animefan get out.
If you wanna do the "Intelligent debate thing" you shouldn't abuse or give topics like

Halo's Point: I think the gen. killing music

Your reply: ur mom is killin music

just ruins you more

and more
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:56:12 PM by Nightwolf »
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Counsel2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
          Most people these days have no right to call themselves "fans" of any music artist. Back in the day, our parents often had posters of their favorite bands in their rooms. I got two full-size posters - one with anime girls and one with the grim reaper. I don't have a Sean Paul poster or a Green Day poster. (Primarily because I'm afraid of being called "gay" for having posters of guy bands in my room.) If you HAVE to download their music, then you should at least have a poster or something like that if you want to call yourself a fan. If you have no poster, then you should at least try to BUY an album.

So obviously I can't like the Flashbulb, The Beatles, Aphex Twin or Castlevania music because I don't have a poster ?_?

I mean really I'd like you to show me a physical Flashbulb or Aphex Twin album. :<

Also I don't think posters matter about music, that doesn't mean I can only be a fan of Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails and Mudvayne because they are the only posters I have.

Rep:
Level 97
Watch out, you might be called "gay" for having posters of guy bands in your room.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Halo touched on most of the points I would have made, but I'll add a few more.

Whatever happened to requesting your favorite song on the radio? Whatever happened to listening to the radio all night long just to hear your favorite song? Whatever happened to buying albums and putting them in a portable CD player?

Technology became more advanced to the point where music is more accessible now. That's what happened to it. Imo, music is more appreciated now than ever before because people have better means of enjoying it.

What does this have to do with anything? I'm a fan of grilled cheese, and I don't have a giant poster of grilled cheese hanging in my room.

Teens these days have no respect for music, or the artists who make it. I buy albums whenever I can. I NEVER download a song from an artist I consider a fan of. I don't just listen to singers and bands, I RESPECT them. And so should you.

If you had any semblance of a clue about what respect is, you would never have said that. The music of today inspires the artists of tomorrow, and doing things "your way" would only serve to deprive these future artists more than is necessary. Not only do I hold a lot of respect for artists, but I hold respect for music as a whole, and I do what I think is right for music. And what I think is right for music is the easiest and most efficient form of exposure to it possible. If I wanted to support a band I'd paypal them 10 bucks or something, instead of handing my money off to corporate bullshit.

And you want to know the best thing about the respect I hold towards artists? You have no place to judge it! So stop acting like you do. Stop acting you're setting an example for everyone else, because you fail to realize that YOU'RE the foolish one here for thinking that the pocket change you're giving to the artists you claim to be a fan of actually matters.

I'd tell you that you ought to not post here anymore, but if anyone's in a position to post in a forum titled "Elitist Debate," it's you.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Animefan get out.
If you wanna do the "Intellligent debate thing"...
I'm pretty sure last time I checked, Intelligent had 2 l's.

::)
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Rep:
Level 98
Watch out, you might be called "gay" for having posters of guy bands in your room.

Phh, like I let anyone but me and my cat into my room, and he already thinks I'm gay `_`

Rep:
Level 91
Depends on your definition of "killing music." I think Music is dead simply because people can always go to iTunes to get everything. I remember being raised on cassettes and when CDs went out, that was even better. Now, there's no need for anything. I just like the feeling of going out and buying a CD, opening the package, reading the booklet and whatnot. Thena gain... gas isn't cheap...

But as in music today being dead because of the way sounds are changing, I don't think so. Everyone has different tastes, and my taste is huge. I like Black Sabath, U2, System of a Down, Showbread, Inhale Exhale, and none of those bands are in the same genre. I mean, some of it can get on my nerves because the lyrics suck (Slipknot, in my opinion, has really dumb lyrics), and some of it can just flat out suck (Hannah Montana), that doesn't mean the changing of taste is the death of music.

I like to quote Showbread on this one:  "Music and her patrons are dead and irrelevant, like osteoporosis, she's brittle she is broken."

"If someone tries to debate you into changing your mind about your belief in God, that's not indicative of atheism in its truest form. It's just the work of an asshole who refuses to have the same respect for you that he demands you have of him. When one takes it to the point of debating your religion (or worse), they're overthinking it, and it becomes something similar to doctrine - the very thing atheists supposedly reject." - Mullis Lives!

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I like Black Sabath, U2, System of a Down, Showbread, Inhale Exhale, and none of those bands are in the same genre.

I think "rock" covers it.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
'Killing Music' is kind of strong isn't it? Also I don't think any generation can be blamed for how mainstream music is. What can be blamed are record companies pushing artists and bands that could and SHOULD be better. I can't listen to the radio anymore, everything that gets played blurs together and just sounds generic. 

Also the internet isn't hurting music, it's HELPING. If it wasn't for frostwire/limewire or in my case Soulseek I would be unable to find music rom many bands I enjoy. The last time i looked in a record store, they failed to have such bands as Manowar, Blind Guardian, Moonspell, Finntroll and Iced Earth in the metal section. I actually demaned to speak to a manger about this, after I told him his 'Metal' section was a monumental disgrace he promtly said 'Uh that Genre isn't my specalty' When I asked who's specalty it was he just shrugged. I'm GRATEFULL I can download music from bands I like. Also What else is good about the internet is that I can easily find people who like the same kind of bands I do and that they can suggest other bands that most liekly would never be found in FYE.

Lastly about Mp3 plays/Ipods. Saying that having CDs mean you better appreciate music is ludacris. As Mlason pointed out, it's much easier for me to carry my Nintendo DS (I have a Flash card in thre, so it works as an MP3 player as well as plays games) then carry a bunch of CDs. Plus, how do you know that people only listen to their 'favorites' on an Mp3 player? My self and most of my friends that have them just make the player shuffle and listen to what ever comes up.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Sorry to get off topic for a second, but SBGX where did you get that flash card / how much does it cost? I've been looking into the same thing for my DS.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I'll send you a link in a pm.

But uh, last off topic post.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Like hell it is, I want that PM too.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
me too, seeing as how I haven't gotten it.

Rep:
Level 91
I like Black Sabath, U2, System of a Down, Showbread, Inhale Exhale, and none of those bands are in the same genre.

Uh... Black Sabbath, SOAD, Inhale Exhale are metal, not rock. U2 is definitly Rock. Showbread... I don't know really what genre to put them in. There's different subgenres, but they are not all "Rock."

"If someone tries to debate you into changing your mind about your belief in God, that's not indicative of atheism in its truest form. It's just the work of an asshole who refuses to have the same respect for you that he demands you have of him. When one takes it to the point of debating your religion (or worse), they're overthinking it, and it becomes something similar to doctrine - the very thing atheists supposedly reject." - Mullis Lives!

Rep:
Level 97
I hate subgenres. They're stupid and pointless.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>

Uh... Black Sabbath, SOAD, Inhale Exhale are metal, not rock. U2 is definitly Rock. Showbread... I don't know really what genre to put them in. There's different subgenres, but they are not all "Rock."

Perhaps "you're a moron" covers it better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music

Rock music is a form of popular music with a prominent vocal melody, accompanied by guitar, drums, and bass.

I'm pretty sure every band you just listed fits that description.

Rep:
Level 91

Perhaps "you're a moron" covers it better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music

Rock music is a form of popular music with a prominent vocal melody, accompanied by guitar, drums, and bass.

I'm pretty sure every band you just listed fits that description.

Hmmm, whatever happened to the "intelligent debate?" I guess you don't know what that means...

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
If you're arguing that black sabbath isn't rock, then there's not much intelligence to debate.