RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Legacy (Working Title)

Rep:
Level 86
Sonic Dog -> Light Spear -> Overlimit -> Slash
Legacy

From the depths of Sirius' living room comes the most anticipated game of the day: Legacy.

"It's unbelievable, truly the work of a master. I haven't been this excited since the movie Seabiscuit galloped into theaters. And my heart." - Myself

Just as a side note, I'm currently working on artwork to beautify this thing up, but I figure that can get edited at any time.

Story

Spoiler for:
The turbulent nation of Corilor knows not the definition of peace. Constant warfare plagues its otherwise radiant landscapes, as those of high standing are hardly ever benevolent.

One particularly gruesome civil war broke out in the year 1121; when some of the king’s most revered nobles were accused of plotting against him, but that is not relevant to the story at hand. The war had lasted for 3 years, and much bloodshed was seen on both sides. In the year 1124, however, the war reached screeched to an unexpected halt. Monsters of all sorts ravaged every uninhabited area of Corilor, some so fierce that soldiers were unable to proceed through the nation’s more remote regions. This sudden outburst of beasts shocked the nation and temporarily stopped the conflict. Both sides agreed to wipe out the monsters on their own terms, but they failed to realize that the monsters’ superior numbers outmatched even the mightiest army.

The self-sufficient town of Albias is located near the country’s west border, and began to feel the disastrous effects of the monsters not long after their arrival. Even a city that can produce its own food and raise its own militia could not function forever without the aid of neighboring cities. The protagonist Glenn lived a more or less average life, filled with triumphs and tragedies, and I can say with certainty that he did not want to get himself involved in the events of this tale. It was on one particularly peaceful day that this story begins.

Characters

Spoiler for Unabridged:
Glenn:

Age - 19
Gender - Male
Hometown – Albias
Weapon of choice – Swords & Shields
Personality – Levelheaded, confident, often seen as a voice of reason.
Before the game - Glenn is the second oldest child of four. His sister, Danika is two years older than him, and his younger siblings, Clive and Sherrie, are fraternal twins several years younger than him. Because Albias is a small, self-sufficient city, not many villagers leave town often; Glenn included. He taught himself basic swordplay on Mt. Dowall (Albias was constructed at its base), but has never received formal training. Until he turned about 15 years old, he didn't have much to worry about. However, when a civil war broke out across the country, Glenn's father-a lieutenant at the time-was called to action. Three months into the war, Glenn's father was captured, along with several other members of high standing. Only days later, Glenn's mother was deemed missing. No one in town knew where she had gone; they knew not if she was taken against her will, if she couldn't take the news, or if a brutal combination of the two took her away. Furthermore, the same monsters which halted the civil war prevented a search party from seeking out Glenn's lost mother. Four years later, she still has not returned, and what is left of Glenn's family is still grieving the loss.

Eve:

Age – 18
Gender – Female
Hometown – East Ossic
Weapon of choice – Pouches (For storing water)
Personality – Attentive, worrisome, and careful.
Before the game – She spent her childhood as the premier fisherwoman in East Ossic (Her ability to control water upped the city’s daily catch almost 150%). As she grew older, however, her passion for fishing diminished. She aspired to find real meaning in her life, and that opportunity presented itself in an awful way soon after her 18th birthday. Monsters, for whatever reason, didn’t see East Ossic as a threatening civilization, and proceeded to pillage the city. Eve and two others were left in charge of moving the women, children, and disabled to West Ossic where it was safer, while all remaining able-bodied persons defended the perishing city. Things obviously didn’t turn out as planned, as the boat containing Eve and 15 other civilians capsized after an unknown monster struck. Still inept in controlling water, Eve was unable to save those people she was told to protect. She managed to wash herself ashore deep in uncharted territory in Daive Forest; an almost uninhabitable area other than its commercial trade route yards away.

Korus:

Age – 21
Gender – Male
Hometown – Loernus
Weapon of choice – Rods and wands
Personality – Intelligent, conceited, and slightly rebellious.
Before the game – He spent most of his time from childhood to adolescence studying in his parents’ private manor in Loernus, much more so after he learned that he is able to control fire. The civil war affected Loernus more than anywhere else, and so Korus’ family was confined to their carefully protected home. When the monsters emerged and secured all uninhabited areas as their own, Loernus was once again safe for its citizens to traverse, but Korus wanted more. Without his family’s consent, he constantly left the city to both study the monsters and to practice his magic against real targets. After he made a shocking discovery about the monsters’ behavior, he immediately concluded his out of town expeditions and remained at home, traumatized.

Neil:

Age – 24
Gender- Male
Hometown – Dalant
Weapon of choice - Poleaxes
Personality – Arrogant, bitingly sarcastic, and yet oddly consoling in times of need.
Before the Game – Dalant is a city very near to Rulon Plains-the most common site of warfare in Corilor due to its suitable terrain-and thus most boys are trained to be fighters at a very young age (Much like Spartans of old). Neil was, of course, recruited for the army and served until the war was halted. On one average day in Dalant, Neil was approached by a man whom he had never seen in the city before. The strange figure claimed that Neil had a tumultuous future ahead of him, that a constant struggle against monsters would be always imminent. He laughed, then proceeded to beat the lunch money out of an unfortunate child.

Linara:

Age – 21
Gender – Female
Hometown – Paroa
Weapon of choice - Bows
Personality – Careless, free-spirited, somewhat of a trouble maker.
Before the game – Even before the outbreak of monsters, Paroa was constantly bombarded by bands of orcs and other fiends. The town’s main defense consisted of stealthy rangers who could quite easily counter the brutish, slow orcs that so often sieged the area. Linara, though an otherwise unworthy candidate, reluctantly learned to use the bow after the town saw a drastic increase in monster attacks and required all additional help they could get. Soon after one particularly nasty encounter, the rangers of Paroa hunted the source of those monsters, hoping to destroy them once and for all. They discovered an orc camp not far from their town, and after they destroyed who they believed to be their leader, attacks on Paroa ceased. Linara couldn’t help but be skeptical of the situation; they all just vanished, something out of the ordinary for brainless orcs. Could they be planning an all out attack?

Patsy:

Age – 17
Gender – Female
Hometown – Albias
Weapon of choice – Staves
Personality – Incredibly shy, reserved, and slightly paranoid.
Before the game – Patsy was born into a deeply religious family. Her parents forced her to study to become a priestess when she was very young, and she complied without much of a fight. Healers were in high demand after the war, and Patsy was beckoned to treat the wounded at the Capitol. Her parents, being the protective people they were, forbid that she leave the city under any circumstance. Some time later, Patsy was gathering flowers at the summit to decorate the chapel when she came across two screaming children. As it turns out, Glenn’s younger siblings were being circled by a vicious wolf while they were out playing at the summit. Without thinking, Patsy dropped her basket of flowers, and began running back to town as fast as she could. Before she left the summit, however, she stopped dead in her tracks. She turned around, fired a devastating blast of light at the wolf, and knocked it clear off the cliffside. She stood in awe at what just happened, then slowly returned to town, never to talk of that incident again.

Spoiler for Abridged:
Glenn - The protagonist of the game. He is usually one to persevere under any circumstances, as made evident by the tragedies of his family, but even his ironclad will is tested to its limit as he traverses the nation for a multitude of reasons.

Eve - A magically inclined girl affiliated with water, she used her powers to greatly increase her city's output of fish and other produce. That is, until her town, East Ossic, was ravaged by a large group of monsters. She wound up in Daive Forest soon after, and for whatever reason, her path crosses with Glenn's on numerous occasions.

Korus - Another magically inclined man, affiliated with fire, whose constant desire to escape his parents' oppressive grip (He's 21, for crying out loud) leaves him running off with Glenn and his group.

Neil - A hardened fighter from the city of Dalant, he is drawn to Glenn solely out of his interest in his cause. After all, he had hoped to do the same for many years before Glenn came around.

Linara - A ranger who was involved with an all out attack on a monster encampment. She was asked by the elder of her city to join Glenn's party, as he firmly believes that Glenn is doing what is right for the country.

Patsy - A young priestess from Glenn's hometown of Albias. Glenn does not know, but Patsy saved his family from a lot of grief when she slew a wolf that was circling Glenn's younger siblings. She has always been quiet around Glenn, and she almost feels obliged to help his cause.

Pictures

Spoiler for:

Features

Spoiler for:
Legacy will feature all the following (And more)

-Fully interactive NPC's

-An enticing story (or so I would hope, you decide)

-A blend of RTP, FSM, and customized graphics, not plagued by an overload of different styles

-A binding skill progression system

-No random battles (Although there are multiple variables that go into each encounter)

-Interactive Deadlocks, which will either give you the edge or put you behind before battle

-A database started from scratch (With the exception of a couple necessary conditions & animations)

-Puzzles that will get you to think, but not stress you so much that you decide to thrash items in the room you happen to be in at the time

-Custom artwork (Just as soon as my artist finishes up his other business)

Demo: Defense of Paroa

Spoiler for Status:
Progress:
Mapping = 100%
Story = 100%
Eventing = 80%
Overall = 90%

The demo will be a prequel to the game itself. It is going to follow the lives of Linara and Neil, as they attempt to rid the city of Paroa of the constant siege of monsters years before the actual game takes place. Stay tuned, it'll be out soon.

Rep:
Level 86
Ok, big update to the first post. I added in a real synopsis and character bios, along with my progress on a demo.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I like your screen shots :)

Rep:
Level 83
Very nice. I like the concept of it all.  :)
It's not me is it? No, it's not. Then why is there only ONE chili dog when I ordered 2?
-----------------------------------
Current Projects:
Tales of a Hedgehog: Corrupt Light

Rep:
Level 86
Whoa, long time, no update! May and June were two action-packed months for me, so I took a temporary leave from RPGMaking. I've been working diligently for the past week or so, and things'll be moving along much more now.

The demo's nearing completion, I'm a couple maps, a few events, and some testing away from releasing it, so hopefully I'll have it done in the next couple days.

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
This game looks awesome, Sirius!
 I can't wait for more updates, and I think I'm going to like the characters Neil, Glenn and Eve. They sound like great characters.

I really am liking how your maps are going.
These are my fav out of them all.
Spoiler for:

And this is funny >
Also, the story seems so fresh and very interesting. Poor Glenn, doesn't he have a choice not to face the tale?  I mean, he's the hero! Let him choose T.T
I'm keeping a eye on this for sure   ;) ;8

P.S
You do like cliffs and you can pull it off with great talent! I love cliffs, well mountains, but they are basically the same thing ^^

Cheers.
Winter is Coming

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
First Screen - might want to add a bit of dirt
Second Screen - too much dirt
Third screen - okay
4th - okay
5th - okay
6th - okay
7th - add a few things, it's 87% white.. brick? I dun know what that is.
Hi

Rep:
Level 86
Duly noted. Thanks for your input, Kirby.

Just to clear things up, the whole last map looks a little something like this:

Spoiler for Big-ish City:

Simply put, you won't be blinded by the white at all times. There'll also be NPC's filling some empty space.

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

I dunno, I thought they looked amazing, but that could be because I'm a newbie to this lol
I draw better than I can map  :D

Hm, yeah, the second has too much dirt. A little less should fix it all up and make it smile :>
The rest, I really liked. So I can't tell without being biased lol

Well, cheers.
Winter is Coming

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Well, the full map seems to be made up of identical houses, which makes it look sort of bad. You might want to add more trees. I've made some with similar chipsets.
Spoiler for OMGOMGOMG:
(They're using similar chipsets)
Hi

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
Um, I can't even read what it says on the map, Lazer Kirby.  :-\
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 86
It says "Are refmap chipsets good?" I wouldn't use them if I didn't like them :lol:

If you're talking about yours, though, I'd have a couple recommendations, but this isn't the place for that.

Getting to my project: I'm working on the last couple maps right now, and after that, the demo will be just about finished. Once I balance out monster stats, finalize a couple things with the battle system, and personal beta-test it, I'll have it uploaded; I'm hoping to be done by this weekend.

Spoiler for Early stages of a dungeon:

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
It says "Are refmap chipsets good?" I wouldn't use them if I didn't like them :lol:

If you're talking about yours, though, I'd have a couple recommendations, but this isn't the place for that.

Getting to my project: I'm working on the last couple maps right now, and after that, the demo will be just about finished. Once I balance out monster stats, finalize a couple things with the battle system, and personal beta-test it, I'll have it uploaded; I'm hoping to be done by this weekend.

yeah... I used that map on another forum in a topic about REFMAP.

Anyway, the maps looks like it's a good start.
Hi

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

I really like the dungeon, Sirius. I like the middle, the giant boulders and the door. Will you be posting more images soon?
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 86
Thanks. I don't know how many more screens I'll be posting, because I'll [hopefully] have the demo done in the next couple days. If you really want one, though, then

Spoiler for Campsite:

It's probably not for who you think it is.

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

Is that screenshot going to be in the story line?  ;8

Also, what did you mean by "It's probably not for who you think it is."? Hm? :-\
Winter is Coming

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
I realized something - 5th screenshot, upper left corner. the woods are practically rectangles.
Hi

Rep:
Level 86
Fair enough.

Just a question, though: why are you so intent on going through every last detail of my maps? I mean, I'm glad you're doing it (it makes them more polished), but I'm just curious as to why you're doing it. I haven't seen any of your intense mapping comments elsewhere :)

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

I guess its really big constructive criticize. :>  :P

So, when is the demo coming out? I can't wait and not a lot of projects here have my eye. But yours seemed to do the trick, so you gotta hurry >.<
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 86
Haha, I have a lot of things I have to finish up. My last dungeon is mostly mapped, but I'm still working on the puzzle, not to mention all the database work I still have to do. Just be patient, I don't want to rush this any more than I have to :)

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

...Are you sure you aren't hiding the demo from us?

Alright, I'll sit down and have some tea and behave...but it won't last long. You betta hurry!  :police:
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 86
Okay, I'm putting a lot of finishing touches on everything at this point. I have to go back and rework a lot of the dialogue and fix up a couple things in the database, and after that, I'll have it posted.

I just hope I have enough free time tomorrow to get down to business. At the same time, though, I don't want to release an unfinished project. Sorry, EdgarxTerra (Heh, my friend has an Xterra) :D I mean, I should be done tomorrow, but I'm saying that in case I'm not.

EDIT: Well, strike that last bit. I think I'm going to push the date back & add in a lot of bonus stuff; the bare-bones story in itself isn't good enough to warrant a full demo. I'm working out the bugs on a system I'm using, and I'm going to make the NPC's a lot more involved with cutscenes, sidequests, and the like.

Sorry for all the setbacks, it's a slow time for RMRK, I can tell  :P

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

Sure no prob, I can wait. :>
You're going to add cutscenes to your game? Cool. Just make sure you tell me when the demo is out, cause I wanna try it out for sure!

Also...what's up with "xTerra"?
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 86

It's a Nissan Xterra, the car my friend drives.

And there'll be a big [Demo] label next to the game when it comes out :P

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

Oh, ahahaha! I get it now lol

Kay, but I might not be on at the time, so if I don't get back quickly, you know why :}
Winter is Coming

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Fair enough.

Just a question, though: why are you so intent on going through every last detail of my maps? I mean, I'm glad you're doing it (it makes them more polished), but I'm just curious as to why you're doing it. I haven't seen any of your intense mapping comments elsewhere :)
that's because I'm good at mapping with Refmap, so I'm going through the details.

lol, you're also using Refmap facesets
Hi

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

What's Refmap?  :( ???

So....do we have a demo date at least?  :lol: :-X
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 86
I'm working my butt off on my skill system (that's one mega event, let me tell you. Methinks a script would have made life much easier, but eh). I'm halfway done with it now & I came across some things I have to take another look at, and I've got a tennis tournament starting Friday.

I'll tentatively say early next week, but don't be surprised if it comes out sooner :P

Refmap, whatever that means, is the original source of the tilesets that you, lazer kirby, and I are using.

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

Oh! Okay, get it ^^
Tennis? You play tennis? Cool.

Alright, I'll be waiting for it than. Um, will you get all characters at once or will you only start out with one?
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 86
The characters you see are in the demo description :)

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

So I get to play all of em?
Can I switch party leaders to someone else? Like to switch to Eve if I was playing?
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 86
"It is going to follow the lives of Linara and Neil"

So just those two for now.

I had originally let that be, but it was weird having one character talking for another. I'll probably take the time to look at that (and possibly build some sort of mini-game around it, a la Colette/Zelos in Tales of Symphonia) later, but right now I'm working on the core of the game for the demo.

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
 :-\ :-X
Alright *sniff, sniff*
I'll wait for either a bigger demo or wait for the actual game to come out ^^ ;8
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 86
Haha, you just like Eve, don't you?

Yeah, now that I think of it, I'll probably implement that.