RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Futaiten: Book of Days & Faereality: A Modern Fairy Tale ~TWO Available Demos~

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Wow, I slept for a total of 2 hours. I think I'm at the point where I'm so tired I'm not tired anymore. So I guess I'll play a little more of this.
:tinysmile:

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
HAHAHAHA, I love Dexter and Poindexter.  They're like every guy I've ever wanted to date.  I'm glad you like the battle system!  I would say that I worked very hard on it, but I really didn't.  The hard part was coming up with a feasible way that a normal teenage girl could fight badguys with magical powers.  And then I though, "she could take their magic and use it against them!"  The actual programming of the battle system itself couldn'tve taken more than a couple of hours, if that long.  In any case, I know that I had perfected the battle system in one day.

For a few reasons, I do like Faereality more than Futaiten.  If you noticed in Book of Days, the message system just abruptly appears as a message shows.  But in Faereality, the picture fades in from 100% transparency to 0% in 0.1 seconds, and even though that's just a really minute detail, it makes it look very much smoother than the message box in Book of Days.

Also in Faereality is the heavy use of randomly-generated messages.  The four houses in the center of the city (the ones you can't enter) have about 20 different possible messages when you try to open the door.  Also, in the Wonder Mall, a boy mentions that the Robots running the Pretzel Stand started making strange sounds.  There is a chance of about 1 in 3 that, when you "talk" to the Robots, they will short-circuit.  There isn't any point in it, it's just funny.  Most of the examinations in peoples' houses are randomly-generated, too, including potted plants, dressers, televisions, bookshelves, and computers.  In Bridget's House (my house l-o-l!!!!1!11), examining the GameCube next to the television will mention something about one of 20 possible GCN games that I probably spend too much time playing (after I have Twilight Princess, I'll have to add that one in, too).

If you're wondering about the future of Faereality, I'm going to go ahead and let you know that Rosa does eventually go to the Realm of Faery, and from that point on it becomes more recognizable as a traditional fantasy adventure (although she'll still have to balance out her new adventurous lifestyle with her normal one back home).  One of the interesting features in the Faery Realm is the presence of a Fortune Teller, for whom I have already programmed a pretty spiffy fortune-telling conversational bit which utilizes yet more randomly-generated numbers.

If you really want to, you can open Faereality in RPG Maker 2003 and set the Party Starting Location somewhere in the Faery Realm maps (don't forget to place Rosa on the starting party from the System tab, heh), and you can check out how it all looks by making a new game.

The character sets and chipsets in the human realm are from the GBA Pokemon games (the only ones I could find which actually had the potential to be suitable for a modern setting), and the Faery Realm characters and chipsets are from the GBA Zelda game, Minish Cap (which I had to rip by myself =_=).

About the intro: The main character is in no way related to me.  I had no intention of making her a channel for myself as a video game character, or any such thing along those lines.  The only thing we have in common is that we like to draw characters inspired by video game characters~  Oh, and she has a Gamecube in her room.  The song that plays in the background during the intro is called "No Holly For Ms. Quinn," from Enya's CD, Shepard Moons.

Halo~  Did you notice, in the Music Shoppe, you have your very own CD case?  XD  There's one for me, too. <_<  As well as a guy named "Ghost," I have no idea who he is, but he submits some really incredible music onto Gaming Ground Zero.

o_O  That's a lot of words.

Making those flowers fly all over the screen at the beginning took freaking FOREVER.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Wow, I slept for a total of 2 hours. I think I'm at the point where I'm so tired I'm not tired anymore. So I guess I'll play a little more of this.

I don't remember posting this. !_! In fact, I don't remember waking up until 20 minutes ago... scary.

Quote from: Yossy
Also in Faereality is the heavy use of randomly-generated messages.  The four houses in the center of the city (the ones you can't enter) have about 20 different possible messages when you try to open the door.  Also, in the Wonder Mall, a boy mentions that the Robots running the Pretzel Stand started making strange sounds.  There is a chance of about 1 in 3 that, when you "talk" to the Robots, they will short-circuit.  There isn't any point in it, it's just funny.  Most of the examinations in peoples' houses are randomly-generated, too, including potted plants, dressers, televisions, bookshelves, and computers.  In Bridget's House (my house l-o-l!!!!1!11), examining the GameCube next to the television will mention something about one of 20 possible GCN games that I probably spend too much time playing (after I have Twilight Princess, I'll have to add that one in, too).

At first I had thought they weren't random generated, but specifically set for each little thing, and then I started getting the same messages, heh. And I was like, "Hey, I did the funny stuff in the bookshelf thing too in my game that I never finished!"

I liked this aspect of the game, as it made it more entertaining to explore.

About the intro: The main character is in no way related to me.  I had no intention of making her a channel for myself as a video game character, or any such thing along those lines.  The only thing we have in common is that we like to draw characters inspired by video game characters~  Oh, and she has a Gamecube in her room.  The song that plays in the background during the intro is called "No Holly For Ms. Quinn," from Enya's CD, Shepard Moons.

Well, you can see how one might suspect, but I assumed the main character wasn't related very much to you. Also, I'm not too familiar with Enya, I have a few of her songs, and I actually have this one. It's my favorite of the bunch. :) So I was like, "Hey, that's that song <3".

Halo~  Did you notice, in the Music Shoppe, you have your very own CD case?  XD  There's one for me, too. <_<  As well as a guy named "Ghost," I have no idea who he is, but he submits some really incredible music onto Gaming Ground Zero.

I DID notice. =O I almost missed it. ~ That version of my song...  :tpg: Oh, the things I would do differently.

I'm familiar with Ghost as well. He has some pretty cool stuff.

o_O  That's a lot of words.

It sure is.  :D

Making those flowers fly all over the screen at the beginning took freaking FOREVER.

It's funny how you can work on something for so long, and then the effect turns out to look so simple. Actually, it's no that funny, sometimes it makes me sad, lol. It's a nice touch though. Feminine, but nice. :P

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Wow Yoss, (i can call you that, right?) sounds impressive, and Im gonna PLAY IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Ghost is amazing though. Early Morning is very relaxing.

Rep:
Level 97
Wow Yoss, (i can call you that, right?) sounds impressive, and Im gonna PLAY IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Ghost is amazing though. Early Morning is very relaxing.

Yeah, too bad for him I'm better.  ;)

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Lol.

perchance.

Anyways, Yossy, ive played it and so far i luf it. The comedy is nice. However, when you leave for dinner Verede's sprite jumps. its kinda odd.

Rep:
Level 97
Lol.

perchance.

Anyways, Yossy, ive played it and so far i luf it. The comedy is nice. However, when you leave for dinner Verede's sprite jumps. its kinda odd.

PERCHANCE??

You're supposed to completely agree with me.  :'(

Anyway, yeah, I meant to mention the sprite jump. Just need to place the switches differently there is all.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
What?

oh. no, i havent listened to any of your recent tracks, but since your old ones are as good as his i assume your new ones are better.

And uh...yeah. Not even going to give a legitimate comment on that second part.

Rep:
Level 97
If you're wondering about the future of Faereality, I'm going to go ahead and let you know that Rosa does eventually go to the Realm of Faery, and from that point on it becomes more recognizable as a traditional fantasy adventure (although she'll still have to balance out her new adventurous lifestyle with her normal one back home).  One of the interesting features in the Faery Realm is the presence of a Fortune Teller, for whom I have already programmed a pretty spiffy fortune-telling conversational bit which utilizes yet more randomly-generated numbers.

This is all wonderful, but I'm most interested in what kind of cake will be served. =0

So, like, in Spanish class last semester, we had to choose and adjective to be our name for the whole semester, and I chose Green, which of course is Verde, because that's my favorite color ~ It was also weird when people would talk to me in the halls and say, "Hey Verde", because nobody actually knew anyone's real names. This is almost entirely irrelevant to this thread, but I thought it was neat personally, haha. Sorry. =D

I guess in conclusion about the demo, it had a lot of nice little touches to it, and it seems like there will be a lot to do in the game. I like all the little touches in games, it gives them a... nice feeling. ?_? Bah, words are stupid.

This is one of the few games that I think I'll actually be keeping an eye on. Futaiten as well, although I still haven't finished the demo. !_!

What?

oh. no, i havent listened to any of your recent tracks, but since your old ones are as good as his i assume your new ones are better.

And uh...yeah. Not even going to give a legitimate comment on that second part.

I was just KIDDING. ;) hehe

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Lol, Aw knoe.

Eh...yeah, I noticed the spanish word in there to.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
If you're that interested in the cake, you'll be delighted to know that an entire segment of the game will consist of playing as Verde as he follows Rosa's mom to the store and makes sure she buys the right ingredients, and then you get hom and have to play some weird mini-games to actually bake the cake.

It'll be awesome.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
SRSLY?

that'd pwn.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
And how.  There will be much pwnage.  Cake pwnage.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice

yeah...how you program this stuff is way beyond my nublet RPG-making skills.

And all in events to...feesh.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Events, and common events... although that's kind of the same thing.  Really, it's just some rudimentary use of switches & variables in conjunction with conditional branches, key input processing, and lots and lots of moving pictures.

Here's another awesome aspect of Faereality, and I can't believe I forgot to mention it earlier, (and you probably already figured it out by looking through the "pictures" folder): there will be a couple of battles that involve playing as Verde.  Since he doesn't have the syphon stone any more, he has to rely on other methods... namingly, a sword (because what fantasy video game is complete without a swordsman?!).  In Rosa's battles, the keys you press depend on what attack the enemy is using, but with Verde, his sword techniques require a short chain of commands (the arrow keys).  There are currently 8 different command sequences, and which one you have to pull off is determined through EVEN MORE RANDOM NUMBERS.

Is it just me, or does it seem like my entire life is governed by randomness?  Not sure if that's healthy...

Anyway, check out a screenie of that battle.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Now I'm intrigued.

I HAVE to download this now.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Same. Redownloading 2K3 is so worth it for this.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Holy fuck.

Damn, I gotta play more. I havent even gotten into battles yet...
edit:

got into a battle. I can absorb some attacks, but then others get launched as it lags and I inevitabley get hit.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:28:26 AM by Lord Dante »

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
There isn't any lag.  You just suck.

I kid.

In the event that you can't react fast enough to the enemy's attacks, I intentionally imbedded a little "glitch" that makes it a bit easier.  If you hit the canel key during a battle, the message "You cannot enter the menu from here!" will show up and all of the processes on the screen will freeze.  With that message showing, however, you can still press up, down, or left/right before hitting cancel again, and Rosa will have augmented her position while everything else on the screen was still frozen.

Hope that helps!

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
O.o

ooo.

Thanks. So wait, that'll just block any type of attack for each attack or the whole battle?

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Just downloaded both games. I played Faereality tonight and HOLY CRAP WHAT A FANTASTIC GAME. No seriously, I love every bit of it. It's so cute and funny it made me feel all squishy inside. Well, er, not exactly squishy per se, but definitely cheery. The battle was fun, but it seemed really really really easy and that could end up boring me after a while. Other than that, though, I see zero cons with this and countless pros. You truly are a genius. =D

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks For Coming
This is still great keep up the good work Yossy ive supported this project from the beginning and will continue to do so

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Aw, I havent had time to test your glitch.

*shrug*

Anyways...I sorta think the mapping is a tad...empty, in places, but still...for using "foreign" chipsets, its good.

Rep:
Level 97
I thought the mapping was just fine. The mapping fits perfectly for the setting.... er... what? I think that made sense. =\

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Teh Vibrative Mass
I tried out Futaiten: Book of Days, you mut of spent a lot of time working on such a great game.
I didn't really try Faereality, seemed a bit... not my style lol

Only thing I think that could have been improved in Futaiten is the maps, some were a bit bland.