RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Will WWIII be Fought Against Google?

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I've been looking into blogging lately, but I still haven't found the right service yet. Blogspot is extremely tempting, but I still really really really don't want to use them because it's a Google service, and I'm worried that some day we may have to literally fight Google in an all-out war for our freedom a decade or two from now. Why can't there be anything just as popular, functional, and free as blogspot but not Google-run? I can't entrust my opinions in a company I expect to literally exchange gunfire with in a decade or two.

Why am I convinced that Google will be the biggest threat to human rights since Adolf Hitler? This and this are what's bothering me. Just look at the way Google protects private information. Or more accurately, how they DON'T. And consider everything else Google does.

They know exactly who you are and what you're interested in, and they have all of that information stored up. They also know exactly who's pirating. If you've ever IN YOUR LIFE, searched for a torrent, or any information about torrenting in the Google search bar, you have been identified personally as a pirate. And think about how much those guys control. They are the center of the internet. Anything you want to find on the net, you Google it. We treat Google like it's the answer to everything, with phrases like "Just fucking Google it." being popular whenever somebody asks a question you can answer with one search. Everybody uses Google. And Google is branching out. They have their own EVERYTHING. They have an email service, a blogging service, a powerpoint service, their own browser, their own calling service to rival Skype now, and their latest abomination, "iGoogle". Perhaps the most frightening, they're making their own fucking operating system.

And look at Google's monopoly. They're not even afraid of China. They implored China to stop censoring search results. But this stance for internet freedom, however ballsy it may be, is just a ruse. Google wants to put an end to net neutrality, and lord knows they may very well have the money and power to do it some day. Google's never going to have their own economic problems. They'll just keep amassing more and more money. Google could eventually replace Microsoft and Apple on the computer market, with their own systems that will probably log every action and every document you write even if you're not on a browser. Google could put an end to net neutrality and take over the internet. Google could tell the government who's been pirating, and give them enough evidence to prosecute all of them. Google could amass enough income to raise an army bigger than the one the USA has, and just plain conquer us the old-fashioned way.

Am I just crazy and paranoid? And if so, somebody tell me how. I'm putting this in General Chat instead of Elitist Debate because I suspect that it'll be treated like any other crackpot theory I've ever had, but I'm bothering to type it AT ALL because I really want somebody here to prove me wrong. I don't WANT to believe that Google is this dangerous, but it's really hard for me not to.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Buy inexpensive hosting and a domain and blog on that.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Google doesn't care about what ever you want to search for the get off too, they probably keep checks on searches or cookies on computers too check for people who search/browse sites with illegal material.

I'm sure other programs/Companies do this too.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
God you're like a tiny George Orwell who doesn't know what a dystopian beginning even looks like.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
wait i skipped most of the post.

"Google could amass enough income to raise an army bigger than the one the USA has, and just plain conquer us the old-fashioned way."

wat

Rep:
Level 81
Let me get this right here. You're telling me that in a decade or two, Google will have not only brought out an operating system, a mobile operating system, their own blogging service and their own version of Skype, but they will have recruited THEIR OWN ARMY? I've heard things about you Animefan, but this truly blows my mind.
I hope to God you are on overly eccentric troll, otherwise this is truly crazy.
Sure, Google keeps tabs on what you search for, and the sites you view, but that's is only so they can benefit by forwarding more fitting advertisements to you. They don't care if you are ripping off another company, all they care about is showing you the advertisements to go with it, to make their revenue.
They are not some crazy super power. They aren't going to recruit their own army. They are just a large company exploiting their target market to the best of their ability.

If this is a trolling attempt, consider me troll'd.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
The only thing Google is doing that concerns me is that definition of "public internet", but we'll have to see on that matter.

OH NO, THE SEARCH ENGINE CAN SEE WHAT YOU SEARCH FOR AND IT STORES IT!
OH GOD THEY'RE MAKE MONEY FROM ADVERTISING AND AS SUCH GET OFF ON ADS!
HEAVENS TO BETSY!
OH GOD THEY FOUGHT BACK AGAINST CHINA BECAUSE CHINA WANTED TO HACK THEM, NOT PURELY BECAUSE OF CENSORSHIP LAWS!

If you're that worried, run a proxy.

Let me spell it out for you.  Lack of net neutrality would hurt Google's business.  If people's upstart websites on Google hosting with Google ads didn't get appropriate network traffic, then Google would make much less money.  Ergo, Google benefits from an open internet monetarily, and everyone else benefits from the function.

Google is the Droid honcho, they were more focused on getting better traffic from Verizon to their device than anything else.  Do you really think Google would give up the ad cash cow they have now?

He's not trolling, he seriously thinks this.  This isn't the first time he went crazy thinking someone was going to take over the Internet/America and posted about it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:52:05 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 81

He's not trolling, he seriously thinks this.  This isn't the first time he went crazy thinking someone was going to take over the Internet/America and posted about it.

Well bugger me. I actually look forward to what other weird and wonderful things Animefan comes out with in the future. If anything they are interesting reads, and a good laugh too.

Actually, Animefan, please, when you find a blogging service that isn't bound by the treacherous clutches of Google, please link me to it. I'd LOVE to read your content.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:14:58 PM by Xiofire »

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
I've been looking into blogging lately, but I still haven't found the right service yet. Blogspot is extremely tempting, but I still really really really don't want to use them because it's a Google service, and I'm worried that some day we may have to literally fight Google in an all-out war for our freedom a decade or two from now.

Jesus Christ on a bicycle, what? Register to Blogspot and if it doesn't work out, just leave the place.

EDIT: No, I am not going to leave it there, this post is just too amazing to leave alone. You're talking about Google creating an army, a large army, a large freedom taking army. Holy Magikarp, your quest for the perfect blogging site (which is Blogspot) has turned into one of the silliest conspiracy theories I have ever heard.

UFO landings? Strange.
9/11 Theories? Odd.
Google dominating the world with their own army? Hahaha, amazing.

Animefan, you're one in a million. Hopefully.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:54:28 PM by Tezuka »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Actually, Animefan, please, when you find a blogging service that isn't bound by the treacherous clutches of Google, please link me to it. I'd LOVE to read your content.

He wants to make a hentai blog or something.

Rep:
Level 81

He wants to make a hentai blog or something.

Oh...well....

In that case, I retract my previous request for a link to your future blog Animefan.

Thank you.

(:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I stopped reading after you compared Google to Hitler. Please find something to do other than the internet.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.

Well bugger me. I actually look forward to what other weird and wonderful things Animefan comes out with in the future. If anything they are interesting reads, and a good laugh too.

Oh shove off, will you? I assure you this is my last crazy theory you'll ever see. (Probably.)

I don't believe any of it anymore. I didn't want to in the first place. But to me it seemed pretty convincing. Maybe not the whole "taking over America" thing, but jailing thousands of internet pirates? Yeah. Anyway, a combination of you guys and a friend of mine seemed to have snapped me out of this paranoia, so uh. No more of that. Yeah. I think I'll start a blog on blogger and I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

And no, it's not a hentai blog. It will have anime in it but... well, what does that matter? I'm going by an alias anyway. You guys won't know if you've seen me on there or not. And no, it's not going to be some place where I'll peddle my temporary conspiracy theories. Especially the ones I'm bound to stop believing in a day later after I get some rest.

Which is sort of what happened here. To a degree, anyway. But I guess I own what I type, now don't I? Laugh it up guys. I had a bout of paranoia the likes of which you've never seen before. But don't mistakenly treat it like that's the real me. Even Anski knows that's not how I always am, even if he won't say so.

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
You do understand that whilst most people on this site are "internet pirates" it is still illegal right?

Rep:
Level 81
Well, it was an interesting read, albeit a hilarious one. I'm not knocking you for your theories, or your bouts of paranoia, shows you have an active imagination, I'd just advise thinking these through before you publish them online. In the end, its just going to add to your reputation.

God speed with your blog though sir. I wish you all the best.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
You do understand that whilst most people on this site are "internet pirates" it is still illegal right?
Exactly what are you trying to say by saying that? that we could very well see an age of thousands of pirates being jailed?

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Yes...

Again illegal activity's = Jail time/ Large fine

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Yes...

Again illegal activity's = Jail time/ Large fine
So I'm not crazy when I feel that Biden could make Google fess up and the government would start taking anybody who's pirated anything? Wait... if you think I'm not crazy for thinking that, why aren't you worried?

And wouldn't the government notice the staggering number of pirates and realize that it's foolish to even start in on them?

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Because i haven't used a google program, i don't allow cookies or other programs to be installed on my computer and i use private trackers.

Also they will loose revenue for gettign every pirate jailed

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Because i haven't used a google program, i don't allow cookies or other programs to be installed on my computer and i use private trackers.

Also they will loose revenue for gettign every pirate jailed
Would you kindly hook me up with some of those "private trackers"? (I don't even know what a tracker is. You can tell.)

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Don't think i have a invite, and site is currently down due to a DOS attack (lol they blocked all of Romania)

And a private tracker is basically a private torrent site.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:59:37 AM by Link »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Everyone pirates.
The internet is a communications medium.
Eventually they're going to have to give up on it, it's like telling someone a secret over the phone, INFORMATION PIRACY!

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
utorrent = free
digitalhive account = free
1tb HDD = <$100

Eventual self-bans by giving animefan an invite = priceless

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
You know, this made me think of those people who go & say that piracy is bad, and that they haven't downloaded anything in their life & go in a whole drama of how we're the bad guys, etc thing for some reason.

Rep:
Level 94
I have no disillusions. I know that it's wrong, and I do feel bad about it sometimes. Hell, it's the reason that there aren't more AAA PC games. But I don't know, I still do it.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Geez, is it really that odd for a search engine to remember what you've searched for? If I were a search engine I'd do it too. Thinking Google is going to "build an army" is just really, really dumb. They're a business, not a country.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE