RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Which is less annoying when you lag like hell?

Rep:
Level 91
Trying to determine my server-client data sharing settings
So I have a couple of options (Please note ALL of them should look about the SAME if there is very little lag):

1. Allow the player to walk and attack on the client, calculate damage on the server and exchange that data.
under heavy lag: the player will see himself move and attack but nothing will be hurt, will suffer from "jumping back" effects (server re-updating his position because not all the walking data arrived in time)

2. Allow the player to walk on the client and ask for attacking, server will handle attacking entirely.
under heavy lag: Player will move around but his attacks will seem stuck, though every shot that comes out is surely "real" jump-backs still occur.

3. Client just sends requests, Server deals with everything.
under heavy lag: player will not be able to move or shoot much, however he will know exactly what's really happening.

Feel free to suggest your own too.
holy shit my sig was big!

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
3 for sure.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
Well they all suck but #3 sucks the least imo.

Completion: ██████████40%
Demo: ██████████70%

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I'm going to agree with everyone and say... 3.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I'm going to disagree about 3, because the player won't know what's happening at all, if they're lagging then they're getting late updates anyway (stuff like enemy position, projectiles, etc... will be updated late due to the lag) so the advantage is really negated by the lag.

Also just sending requests to the server all the time makes things harder on the server, and harder on the internet connection, making the game more varied based on ping, and quite possibly could cause server issues.

so that leaves 1 and 2, 2 has no real advantages over 1 as the jump-backs will still occur, and might confuse players if they're seeing their own and other peoples' attacks sticking in the air.

1 is the least confusing for non-savvy people (at least in my opinion), and it helps programming-wise to keep things separate (server vs client).

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks for your detailed opinion Namkcor, I'll certainly keep some of those things in mind.

Regarding 2's advantage, while confusing to some players, others might be able to use the attack animations' locations to determine their path to safety, so that's why I thought it should be considered.
As for 3, what I saw as an advantage there is that it should make your vital actions (walking and attacking) both delayed so you'll realize you are lagging instantly and hence do your best to avoid danger, but you are right, the server will have to work overtime for that and that just isn't a fair trade.
holy shit my sig was big!