RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Which sprite type should I go for now???

Rep:
Level 71
Entity Humanoid Interface
I just started a new RMVX project about a week ago, after about 2 years haven't touched RPG Maker at all. Preparation for the project has been nice, but I still haven't been able to decide which sprite type I wanna use in my game:
- default RTP: really ugly :( proportionally wrong and the walking pose, to put it bluntly, hurts me eyes XD
- kaduki: really really cute XD But too small for my taste also
- Mack: I rather like the size and the style, eventhough the proportion is still wrong and it's rather chubby for me taste.
- White ties style: I plan to convert white ties sprites to RMVX. I've always like white ties sprite since RMXP, but I wonder if it would go well with RMVX tileset.

So it's been Mack vs. White Ties and for a few days I haven't been able to choose between either of them to work with. Any suggestions?

I throw together quickly a map for comparison's sake, and Mack is on the left and White Ties is on the right.

I support \\(>O<)b

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
For that style of mapping, I'd say White Ties. Mack sprites aren't all that tall, some look weird and the faces are a bit too Japanese-y. White Ties are a lot more serious, imo, and I just think it suits your maps.
May I ask, what tileset are you using?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 71
Yea though the up side is that Mack has generally bigger size so it's kinda easier for simple edits. But I guess I will go with White Ties.
There is no fixed tileset sadly, I'm messing around with parallax mapping so they all come from various sources. But the majority of them comes from Lunarea's interior tiles.
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member
I think the Mack character sets fit the map better, but I do like the White Ties sprites in general.
Where do you find the White Ties character sets anyway?

Rep:
Level 71
A game called White Ties?

Just kidding LOL .. This game has more or less become non-existent on internet, lucky I was still able to salvage a copy of it:
http://dmatter.org/games/WT.rar
^ working link (for now) ... but you might wanna put one more mirror to forums download just in case XD I had a quick look around and I am sure there were some members here looking for this game to no avail XD
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
If I find time, I'll mirror it tomorrow.
Great find too. Thank you!

Just for the record, I like the Mack sprites more, but that map you made looked more suited to the White Ties sprite.

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2012 Best Artist2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season
I like the map.  :)

I'm not sure how big of a character base White Ties has, but Mack's characters are practically a full RTP plus there are several resource blogs that make extra custom characters in the same style. If it makes no real difference in terms of atmosphere, go with whatever will be the least work for you.

Though ... I did make the tiles using the VX RTP proportions, so some of the furniture pieces (like the chairs, or table legs) may need to be edited slightly. It might have been mapping itself, but I've seen a couple of maps using my tiles where the Mack-sized characters looked like giants.  ;D
My current project:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
For some reason, in that screenshot in particular, I feel like the White Ties style fits better than the RTP.

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
I like the white ties better.

Rep:
Level 71
@ Lunarea: Of course ... this map was just made quickly for comparison. In game I'm sure I will need to edit a few things, at least to make the color palette of the table in the living room and the one in the bedroom matched XD

Well I've decided to go with White Ties after all though Mack's still are nice nevertheless. Thanks for the opinion guys ~
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 83
Look at me, runnin' and all
Project of the Month winner for August 2009
Jep, White Ties. The character looks smaller and thus fits better in the map, I think.

Also, the brightness of the colors in White Ties' is better than the brightness in Mack's, in this map.
  - 

Rep:
Level 71
Hey guys, another questions regarding sprites :3

I've been making my protagonists in White Ties style and I'm really liking them so far, even it's just simple frankenspriting/recoloring/editing. But something has been bugging me for a while. I figured I would stick with front view battle system with some layout edits, but most of my friends prefered side view battle. It's possible for me to do some edits on kaduki sprites, but would the transition, or inconsistence in battle/field too much?

For example:
This is the normal sprites using on map:

And if battle starts, it changes to something like this??? (I just mean the style in general, this sprite is from Kaduki without any sort of edits on it)

I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
I'd say that Kaduki, Tankentai or YEM wouldn't suit a White Ties style game. I think you should stick to the front battle system and use some scripts to make it, y'know, interesting.
Not to pull the plug on myself, but I'm working on a battle layout that displays enough information without any alterations needed for graphics. I think it'll be out by next week, never know. But, there are plenty of scripts that'll offer a handsome amount of information with the default battle system.

Rep:
Level 71
Yea ... I have my battle layout redesigned already, however I get a lot of feedback for a battle system complete change (like, A LOT, haha). But my spriting skill is too limited to do white ties sideview battlers :( Edit Kaduki is easier though :/ So I'm pretty much stuck at this stage on deciding what to do now lol ...
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2012 Best Artist2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season
In general, battle sprites tend to be a little larger/more detailed than the walking sprites. So, it's kind of odd seeing the tiny Kaduki sprite in battle. But the player could get used to it, too. And you definitely want to make things easier on yourself.

I seem to remember that White Ties had larger animated battlers. Or, at least, I remember seeing White Ties characters on larger animated battlers. This was for some XP side-view script. It might be worth digging up :3
My current project:

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
You may have already heard of these and I don't know if this is what you need or if it will help, but... They may go slightly better with RO sprites, if you are willing to format them yourself. They seem to already come with most of the battle poses that kaduki use, I believe. Not entirely sure. :P

I know of a download site that has the rips seperated by stuff like heads, classes (outfits), and even hats and weapons. There's a TON of different outfits/hairstyles in RO style. Maybe you will find it useful!
I found them here: http://rosprites.110mb.com/classes.html

Here's a sample of what they look like (big images):

Spoiler for:
-One of the body sets-

-One of the head sets-

Kinda creepy when seperate  :o

I made one sprite using RO sprites and Modern Algebra's Extra Movement Frames scipt. The sizing was quite difficult. I had to make a template and use the images regular size then do an 50% image resize.  I came up with this kind of results (lacking a shooting pose for this particular body):

Spoiler for:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:37:52 PM by yuyubabe »
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 71
@Lunarea: Of course, I remember these ... but they are really detailed for me to do any edits hahah ... since I just picked up spriting when my project started and frankenspriting/recoloring/small edits are all I can do now XD
I agree about batter sprites are generally bigger and offers more details ... that's why I'm so hesitating bout making the switch to sideview >_<
@Yuyu: Oh yea, I've seen people using it but it didn't really cross my mind haha XD I will keep it as an option, thanks for suggesting :3
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
We all start somewhere, and simple recolors and frankens are great launching grounds. At some point, you want to challenge yourself and start doing things from scratch, however, and build up your comfort and confidence. With practice, you will get much better and faster. :3

What you can do, and what may perhaps be the easiest solution, is to use kaduki - or whatever you feel comfortable editing - as a placeholder for now. Somewhere down the line when you feel more comfortable with your spriting skills, you can switch it to what suits the game better.
My current project:

Rep:
Level 71
I think it's just reasonable. Thank you for the advice, Lunarea :3
I support \\(>O<)b