RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
So what DO you people listen to?

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
GRAAAAH! *rage rage rage baww rage*
This was originally going to be a reply in "Song Lyrics?", but I decided to make it a topic.

I'm sorry, but nothing seems to please y'all. As far as I can tell, you guys only like a very small random mix of current bands, and pretty much anything older than me. It also appears that you guys are on some sort of crusade against rap. What did rap ever do to you? They've just been minding their own business, singing about sweat dripping from their balls.

I mean, it seems like a lot of you appreciated the Nickleback album I uploaded, but none of you like Green Day. What does Nickleback do right, or what does Green Day do wrong? They're both on the popular radio stations at the same time.

I don't get y'all. Your song preferences don't have any patterns to them. So I ask you, oh condescending-of-others-music-tastes (Yes, you are. You always slam me when I mention Green Day. *baaaawwww*) RMRK...

What do you people listen to anyway?

What artists do you think are good, and what ones do you think are bad? Also if it's not too much to ask, explain why certain artists are bad, and "because they look faggy" doesn't count. :mad:

No, I'm not being offensive. You guys can take my random bitching.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:05:02 AM by Animefan »

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
If it goes to the sewers, I won't be the one doing it.

Rap sucks.
Nickelback sucks.
Paramore sucks.
Rush sucks.
Green Day sucks.
Irock sucks.
Limp Bizkit sucks.

I know you didn't mention a few of those, but a few came to mind that I felt like mentioning. Yes, Rush sucks and Niel Peart is possibly the most overrated drummer of all time. Most of us hate listening to rap because we prefer to actually listen to music instead.

As for what I listen to, a lot of different things. There's obviously the classical and movie scores, video game soundtracks. I also listen to some jazz. And then the "mainstream" I listen to, I have a lot of different stuff:

AC/DC
Air
Alice in Chains
Amethystium
Angel Dust
Anthrax
Apocalyptica
Arch Enemy
Armored Saint
Atheist
Audioslave
Battlelore
Black Label Society
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Blue Oyster Cult
Cake
Corrosion of Conformity
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Daemonia
Danzig (lol)
Demons & Wizards
Die Cheerleader
Disturbed
Down
Dragonforce (shut up Nouman)
Dragonlord
Dream Theater
Earth
Enya
Estradasphere
Evergrey
Faith No More
Fear Factory
Final Fantasy
Gandalf
Guns N' Roses
Hampton Grease Band
Iced Earth
In Extremo
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Jag Panzer
Jerry Cantrell
Johnny Cash
Kamelot
Lacuna Coil
Lamb of God
Led Zeppelin
Liquid Tension Experiment
Lost Horizon
Lovage
Mad Season
Megadeth
Mr. Bungle
Nightwish
Opeth
Our Lady Peace
Pantera
Pearl Jam
Pekka Pohjola
Pink Floyd
Queen
Queens of the Stone Age
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Rashanim
Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire
Rob Zombie
Savatage
Sepultura
Shalabi Effect
Soilwork
Sonata Arctica
Soulfly
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots
Stormtroopers of Death
Styx
Symphony X
System of a Down
Testament
The Album Leaf
The Beatles
The Dear Hunter
The Mahavishnu Orchestra
The Mars Volta
The Misfits
The Ramones
The Rapture
Tin Hat Trio
Trans Siberian Orchestra
Type O Negative
Velvet Revolver
White Zombie

Just to name a few.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
I mean, it seems like a lot of you appreciated the Nickleback album I uploaded
Nickelback is the worst fucking band I have ever heard, I don't know what kind of crack you're smoking.

Aaaaand I listen to...

The Raconteurs
Muse
Protest The Hero
Gatsby's American Dream
White Stripes
The Killers
AC/DC
AFI
Akira Rabelais
All That Remains
Barenaked Ladies
Closure in Moscow
Coheed and Cambria
Coldplay
Crow's Claw
Daft Punk
Datarock
Electric Six
Fall of Troy
HORSE the Band
Invictus
Led Zepellin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Mars Volta
Modest Mouse
Nine Inch Nails
Queen
Raccoo-oo-oon
Radiohead
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rise Against, Rush
Serj Tankian
Smashing Pumpkins
The Strokes
Tenacious D
The Vapors
Victims of Science
Yes
Cake
Electric Light Orchestra
The Who
Pink Floyd
Sounds of Animals Fighting
Soundgarden
The Ramones
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
Death From Above 1979
Creature Feature

That's all I can think of off the top of my head

Oh and the reason Nickelback sucks so much is that it is some of the most bland, unoriginal, power chordan crap I have ever fucking heard.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:57:12 AM by Dr_Sword »

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
I listen to alot of things, but it's all rock really. If i were to name a specific genre, it would definitely be alternative rock, but i stray outside of that world sometimes...

Right now i'm listening to Natural Anthem by The Postal Service, which is pretty fun. I agree with nickelback being shit, although it is tolerable. I've made a point of keeping all of my music snobbery out of sight for a while when i'm at parties with the newest commercial music everywhere because if i just sit in the corner thinking "This sucks" it would suck all of that possible fun right out of there. And i'm not standing around to have a suck time.

I'll listen to some soundtracks if they are reasonably good. I'd love to get my hands on a TWEWY soundtrack, although i'd only ever want to listen to it on shuffle as i couldn't bear to listen to it as an album (Shop tunes and all of those variations on "Twister" ._o)

and when i listen to music, i prefer to listen to it as an album because it just makes the experience so much deeper.

And yes animefan, you've made a topic that all of RMRK loves. I'm just waiting for Holk to post.

Alright, here it goes.

The Killers
Muse
Radiohead
Coldplay
The Postal Service
Death Cab for Cutie
The Beatles (On occasion, they have some nice songs but i can't listen to the albums because that retro feel is a little bit too out there for me, plus i only own the 1 collection.)
Russssssh
Tokyo Police Club (I'm getting an album soon =O)
MGMT
The Dresden Dolls
Billy Talent
My Chemical Romance
Silversun Pickups
Smashing Pumpkins
The Smiths
Neil Young
That one Thom Yorke solo album
The Von Bondies
Wintersleep
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Beck
Broken Social Scene
The Champion Heartache
Death From Above
Franz Ferdinand
Frou Frou
Gnarls Barkley
INTERPOLLLL
THE MARS VOLTTTA
Metric
Bedouin Soundclash

There are probably some more, some artists i have not listed because i haven't listened to them to the point that i can talk about them, and some i haven't listed because my itunes doesn't have all of my albums on it yet because they are buried somewhere.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Anthrax
Death
Necrophagist
Megadeth
Testament

I don't have an open mind when it comes to music, I try, but it doesn't happen. Select few bands though it's more than enough for my life.
Easily my favorite band of all time is Death and honestly I haven't found a single band that measures near them (second is testament :-D!)

RIP CHUCK
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Which is strange because I can make myself like roughly 90% of all the songs I hear. Roughly.

So, WHY do you guize dislike Green Day so much? Is it purely because I like them?

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Which is strange because I can make myself like roughly 90% of all the songs I hear. Roughly.

So, WHY do you guize dislike Green Day so much? Is it purely because I like them?
No it's because it's a bunch of whiny crap played by a bunch of amateur musicians who don't know what Punk is.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Well, I know of a lot of artists and if a song is played on the radio I'll probably be able to tell you who is singing it. Probably.

However, I don't extensively listen to a lot of artists. The artists I do listen to can be found in my big bag of music :)

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,29807.0.html

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Why does everybody have a mustache? Is that the theme of this month?

And did it occur to you that they aren't trying to be Punk? Why does a band HAVE to fit in with one particular kind of music? What should it matter if it "quite reaches" a certain genre? As long as "it sounds good", that should be all it takes. I don't care how many chords or whatever it takes to play a song. If "it sounds good", then it's good enough for me.

Bleh. I don't know WHY I bother to defend Green Day on here. I'm the polar opposite of most of you. =/

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
"HAY GUYS I LEARND MAH 3RD CHORD ON THIS GITAR! LETZ START A BAND"

"OKAY! BUTT WE NEED A NAEM"

"HOW ABOWT GREEN DAY/NICKELBACK/INSERT CRAPPY BAND HERE LOLOL"
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I like Green Day, but I liked 39 Smooth the most. That was back before everyone thought they should have a band.

I like:

Protest The Hero
He Is Legend
A Wilhelm Scream
The Dear Hunter
HORSE The Band
Glassjaw
No Use For A Name
Lagwagon
Belvedere
old Thrice
old Thursday
Rush, but mostly their non-radio songs

There are more that I can't think of right now, but I'm really picky about what I listen to.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Old green day was good, Dookie etc...
it's american idiot that sucks and such.

I listen to...(in no particular order)

Aerosmith
Muse
Apocalyptica
Nightwish*
AC/DC
Kamelot
The Killers
Within Temptation
Epica
Metallica (old stuff, pre-rehab and napster)
Ozzy Osbourne
Radiohead*
Avenged Sevenfold
Smashing Pumpkins
Franz Ferdinand*
Nine Inch Nails
SOAD
Serj Tanakian
Perl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
Pink Floyd
Modest Mouse*
Rhapsody*
In Flames*
Prodigy
Pendulum
Sabrepulse
Breakbeat Heartbeat
Falco Lombardi
YMCK

some of these I only get on my pandora radio stations (the ones marked with *) and I probably missed a few from the stations, but you get the general idea.  I'm a fan of symphonic metal, straight metal, a little drum n' bass, chiptunes and alt-rock, alt-rock being my favorite and Muse being my favorite band.

About rap sucking, it's all sampled sound effects put together on a mixer (granted DnB is usually sampled/DJ'd, but there's typically some form of melody you can follow, much like dance music, rather than just drums and whistles and the occasional 'OH!'), with someone just talking about random crap, usually abusing profanities and racial slurs.  and most of the time they're just 'rapping' about the most pointless shit, and/or just stringing together nigger nigger pimp ho's ass nigger fuck fuck nigger fuck.  They're also enabling the black stereotype, and I really dislike stereotypes.  In all, I consider rap shit, just like country, and would rather do without music than listen to it.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
'

I like these.

And rap doesn't really sound like music at all. It's just bumpa-bumpa and a bunch of wordplay, sure one can say it's music but aaayhh.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 88
I'm pretty tolerant of music. If a friend of mine likes rap, I'll listen to it with them, and then tell them that I don't really care much for it. With the exception of rap and 80% of country, I'll enjoy almost anything.

(The only reason I like some country is because I was raised on the 90's Country. Those were probably the best years of it.)

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
A Wilhelm Scream
Rise Against
The Gaslight Anthem
The Dear Hunter
Frank Turner
Brian Fallon (vocalist of gaslight, has some good acoustic songs.)
Comeback Kid
Closure in Moscow
Propaghandi
Black Flag
Minor Threat
He Is Legend

and so on and so forth.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)
OK, posting this list will probably reveal that I am super lame. It is not comprehensive:

The Beatles
Belle & Sebastian
Bob Dylan
Broken Social Scene
Cake
Cat Stevens
Constantines
Gnarls Barkley
Moby
Modest Mouse
Neil Young
Paul Simon
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Songs: Ohia / Magnlia Electric Co.
Spoon
Sufjan Stevens
Wilco
Wintersleep
Wolf Parade

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Well I was typing out all of my artists then I thought it was useless.

The point is; Everyone has their own acquired taste in music, it depends on your upbringing and what you consider good music. Personally I think your grasp on the literary focus of the English Language has a lot to do with it as well. I don't listen to rap unless it's melodic and the lyrics aren't about ball sweat. Sorry bro. I don't like Nickleback because grunge should have died with Cobains cerebral cortex, and Nickleback is only trying to revive it again with some unusual country influence post grunge about having sex in the back of cars. I personally don't like Green Day because they managed to turn everybody into American hating retards, because apparently "Bush is bad he did nothing right" was all the focus of the American Idiot soundtrack. Plus I prefer if someone is going to perform Punk music, they better make it absolute punk or ska. That being said I like some of Green Days old stuff, back when it was about lying at home and doing jackshit.

As for song preferences "not having any patterns," that's just insane. People have patterns and you just don't look at them. Almost everyone has musical patterns. I know that Holk cums buckets over well written lyrics, that Irock listens to whatever someone says is good, and I personally go for concept albums.

That being said i'm sure you don't give a shit what I listen to anyway but HERE is my last.fm.

Everything out of the way; you could have made this topic such a negative point of view. "GAWD WHY DO YOU ALL HATE MY MUSIC GIVE ME REASONS" but now i'm just nitpicking and this sentence can be ignored.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Did you even listen to the "American Idiot" album? There were maybe three or four references to the Bush administration in there, and they didn't even say his name. You wouldn't say "that cake tastes like shit" if you didn't even get a piece.

The song "American Idiot" isn't stating "all Americans are idiots", no, it's not saying that. What it's saying, is that a lot of Americans are influenced by the media and by the fear that the media puts in us. The song is against that kind of conformity. The song is about breaking free from the media's influence, and...

Wait, that's right, polar opposite. Nevermind. >.<

At least you acknowledged that music taste is acquired, not factual. Truth be told, that's all I ever wanted to hear. :tpg:

On Green Day: I like everything by them. It doesn't matter to me if their style changed a little bit. My favorite songs always end up being ones I never heard on the radio. I like "She's a Rebel" a lot and "Pulling Teeth" and "Minority".
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:36:02 AM by Animefan »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
you "like" something because it creates a positive feedback in your brain when you are exposed to that sensory input.  For some people certain music creates that positive feedback and so they like it.

Everyone is predisposed to like certain things, much like with foods and art.  It's all sensory input.  So yes part of it is acquired, however I believe that a great portion of it is simple predisposition to liking certain qualities of music.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Did you even listen to the "American Idiot" album? There were maybe three or four references to the Bush administration in there, and they didn't even say his name. You wouldn't say "that cake tastes like shit" if you didn't even get a piece.

The song "American Idiot" isn't stating "all Americans are idiots", no, it's not saying that. What it's saying, is that a lot of Americans are influenced by the media and by the fear that the media puts in us. The song is against that kind of conformity. The song is about breaking free from the media's influence, and...

Wait, that's right, polar opposite. Nevermind. >.<

At least you acknowledged that music taste is acquired, not factual. Truth be told, that's all I ever wanted to hear. :tpg:

On Green Day: I like everything by them. It doesn't matter to me if their style changed a little bit. My favorite songs always end up being ones I never heard on the radio. I like "She's a Rebel" a lot and "Pulling Teeth" and "Minority".

Animefan the song doesn't have to obviously hurr durr say the name so everybody gets it. And yes, I did listen to all of American Idiot. A song doesn't have to obviously point out what it is about, the song H by Tool is about Heroin and never says the word itself.

But this really isn't about song lyrics it's more that A) Music is an acquired taste, and in that I don't see why you're flipping out about how not everyone here has a more closed ranged musical taste. You listen to Green Day and Kanye West, bro. Also B) I think you're stupid.

Have a nice day :*

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Closed ranged? No, I'm "flipping out" that not everybody here has a more open ranged music taste. But after reading all the different bands you guys are into, I see I was mistaken. You guys DO have an open ranged music taste. The whole reason I thought you DIDN'T, was because you just HAPPEN to dislike most of what I listen to most often. But now I see that's purely coincidental.

That being said, my music taste is very open ranged. I like 90% of what I hear, (rough estimation) so I'll download lots of songs or buy lots of albums.

Here's my current list of bands/artists I listen to or at least like a lot. I do not necessarily have whole albums from all of them, and they are not in any particular order.

Green Day
Sean Paul
Pretty Ricky
Nickleback
The Delgados
Allen Toussaint
Sammy Davis Jr.
Chingy
Led Zeppelin
50 Cent
EDISON
Chris Cornell
Alan Jackson
Guns N' Roses
Smashmouth
Rihanna
Houston
Vanilla Ice
Yumi Kawamura
Christina Aguilera
LL Cool J
Micheal Jackson
Crazy Town
The Beatles
Weezer
Akon
Heartsdales
Katy Perry
Good Charlotte
THE STRiPES
Frickin' A
Black Eyed Peas
Oingo Boingo
The Bee Gees
Crush 40
Quiet Riot
Fall Out Boy
Edwin Starr
Mindless Self Indulgence
Guttermouth
Sir Mix Alot
Sisqo
Three 6 Mafia
Kevin Lyttle
Eminem
Fat Joe
Kanye West

I listen to some bands/artists more frequently than others.

I just know there's more, but I can't think of anymore ATM. And no, I don't currently listen to Kanye West, although I did hear the song "Gold Digger", and yes, I did enjoy it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:16:46 PM by Animefan »

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Sorry animefan but even if i can ignore hentai and things, that list made me cringe  :tpg:

Really though, when it comes to music, people do have their own tastes, and that's their business. Most of us here at RMRK are alt-rock lovers, and we just naturally assume that our music is high-order and that some of the more commercial stuff is garbage. It's the way we are. I'm sorry if you're feeling hated on, but we try to hold ourselves back. I think...

Rep:
Level 98
Closed ranged? No, I'm "flipping out" that not everybody here has a more open ranged music taste. But after reading all the different bands you guys are into, I see I was mistaken. You guys DO have an open ranged music taste. The whole reason I thought you DIDN'T, was because you just HAPPEN to dislike most of what I listen to most often. But now I see that's purely coincidental.

Yes, i'm glad you finally understand that just because we think your music sucks doesn't mean that all of our music is some exact one genre.

The Beatles
Edwin Starr

Only good ones from you imo