RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[WIP] ARGSS - Remaking RGSS Player and Library

Rep:
Level 84
Introduction
I am working right now on this new project called "ARGSS". ARGSS aims to replace the RGSS Player and Library, namely Game.exe and RGSS102E.dll. (And also RGSS202E.dll from RMVX)
I am working on C++ embedding ruby on it and using the SDL library for graphics loading and bitmap manipulation, audio playing and input detecting, and for rendering I'm working with OpenGL.  I am using right now ruby 1.8.6 embedded, but I plan to use ruby 1.9 which is faster, however I can't make it work right now and I haven't tried that hard yet.

Website, forums, svn
http://argss.com.ar/
http://argss.com.ar/forums
http://sourceforge.net/projects/argss/
Code: text [Select]
svn co https://argss.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/argss argss

The ARGSS Icon/Logo

Thanks and credits to grafikal009.

Why doing something that is already done?
  • RMXP is shareware, this will be under a custom free bsd license.
  • RMXP library is slow, this may be faster and be able to run games with more fps.
  • RMXP library has a limited version of Ruby and only include some basic things, this will include full ruby support and maybe latest version.
  • Being able to modify the hidden classes in c++, what improves performance compared when rewritting hidden classes in ruby.
  • New functions and less limitations, for example changing window resolution, better audio support, more graphical methods, portability to other OS.
  • And even more.
Progress List

Downloads
ARGSS Alpha Test Fix - Rev 31.rar
ARGSS Alpha Test Fix - Rev 31.7z
ARGSS Alpha Test Fix - Rev 31.zip

It is included the VC++ 2008 runtimes instaler for x86 with the downloads. If you have a x64 machine, you can download the runtimes from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BD2A6171-E2D6-4230-B809-9A8D7548C1B6&displaylang=en

Spoiler for Old SDL Demo 12/11/09(d/m/y):
Spoiler for Old SFML Demo:
Spoiler for Old SDL Demo:

Notes
Please, give me your opinions, thoughts, advices, ideas, suggestiong about this project. All constructive comments are welcomed.

Special thanks
Trebor777 for his RMXP Ruby SDL project and his help on msn.
Grafikal009 for the ARGSS Icon.
And all the people who are supporting this!

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
I love you for this <3

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
wow. this is going to be amazing. good luck. if you need some sort of graphic support, let me know and ill see what i can do.

Rep:
Level 84
Thanks ;D

@grafikal009, I think that the only sprite I will need for this project is an icon for the Game.exe. If you can design a cool icon, it would be great. Note that it should be in various dimensions, namely: 48 x 48 pixs(Normal for .exe), 32x32 pixs(Smaller for .exe) and 16x16 pixs(For title bar and list/details view in explorer)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Oh cool, that's no problem. Is there anything in particular you think would fit this well? To be honest I don't know a lot about this sort of thing but I'd really like to help some how.

~Edit~

Here's a few attached.

I kind of like 6 ._.

~Edit~

Here's No.6 in each size.
16px:

32px:

48px:

Essentially, I based the logo off a ruby color and the A is your addition to the RGSS. I also added a slight bevel and sheen to it to make it more 'ruby' like. :)

[edit] Removed the attachments to clean up the topic. I want people to focus on his program, not my icons :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:40:39 PM by grafikal009 »

Rep:
Level 84
Wow, they are really good, but I would keep with Nº6, it's the better one. Nº6 can be the definitive one, but if it isn't much trouble could you make some other different icon designs? I like the idea to include an "A" in the logo, but maybe with using other shapes/fonts/colors it can be even better than Nº6.

Edit: Also, I have made a simple script for testing the demo with lots of balls bopuncing everywhere and not just arshes:
Code: text [Select]
BALL_NUMBER = 250
p 'Testing ARGSS'
sprites = []
xxs = []
yys = []
for i in 0..BALL_NUMBER
  spr = Sprite.new
  spr.bitmap = Bitmap.new('ball.png')
  spr.x = rand(640-spr.width)
  spr.y = rand(480-spr.height)
  sprites << spr
  xxs << (1 + [rand(5), 1].max) * (rand(1) == 1 ? -1 : 1)
  yys << (1 + [rand(5), 1].max) * (rand(1) == 1 ? -1 : 1)
end
loop do
  for i in 0..BALL_NUMBER
    spr = sprites[i]
    spr.x = spr.x + xxs[i]
    spr.y = spr.y + yys[i]
    xxs[i] = [1 + rand(5), 1].max if spr.x - xxs[i] <= 0 and xxs[i] < 0
    yys[i] = [1 + rand(5), 1].max if spr.y - yys[i] <= 0 and yys[i] < 0
    xxs[i] = -[1 + rand(5), 1].max if spr.x + spr.width + xxs[i] >= 640 and xxs[i] > 0
    yys[i] = -[1 + rand(5), 1].max if spr.y + spr.height + yys[i] >= 480 and yys[i] > 0
  end
  Graphics.update
end
Just open the scripts.rb file in the demo with notepad, replace the contents with this, and add this new ball sprite:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Here's more icons. :)

If you can see the grey though the icon, it's because those sections are knocked out.

[edit] Removed the attachments to clean up the topic. I want people to focus on his program, not my icons :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:40:15 PM by grafikal009 »

Rep:
Level 84
Wow, thanks grafikal009. All of them are really good, but I like most the one in the coords (3, 7), the last icon in the center. Can you make it in red and with capital A?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
These ones?

~Edit: The color is off a bit. It's saved in CMYK instead of RGB so it'll look funny or at the least more dull than it actually is.

~Edit: I added a quick mod on the last of the 4, also those colors are now RGB. (ColorCorrect)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:39:58 PM by grafikal009 »

Rep:
Level 84
Thanks grafikal009, however I will keep with icon6.png, for some reason I like it the most. Sorry if I have made you make all that other icons, but I wanted to see some more choices before deciding. So, the next demo(It will be out soon) will include your icon. Also, you will be credited for it. I need only one last favor, can you make .ico version of it?

And some news about the project, I have changed from SDL to SFML(Simple Fast Multimedia Library) which is much better than SDL and includes all of SDL features. And also, now compiling with MinGW and working with codeblocks for making portability to other OS easier.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Thanks! and no problem. That's how it goes :)

Attached is a folder with the 3 sizes of PNG files and the 3 ICO files. I did this because at some point I was having difficulty creating the ICO files since they're windows native and I'm running a mac. However, I think I finally fixed the problem and they should be useable. If the ICO files have any problems with them, I gave you the PNG files so that you can take them to http://www.eisbox.net/iconvert/ . At the site, you upload a file and it'll automatically convert it to either ICO, ICNS, HQX, or another PNG for linux. There shouldn't be any problems though I hope.

Rep:
Level 84
Hi people, I bring you some updates, long time I haven't posted anything.

Well, the project is going well, a bit slow though because my studies. I have finally managed to have SFML(Simple Fast Multimedia Library, is a library which uses OpenGL and focus on drawing 2D Sprites along with other multimedia functions) working along with Bitmap, Sprite and Graphics classes. These classes aren't finished yet, they are kinda the hardest ones, but I can display things in screen.
Maybe you will be asking, but if in the last demo you could display sprites, why do you say now so? Well, the last demo uses SDL, another multimedia library. I have changed to SFML, because it seems easier to work with, and also it is faster than SDL.
Also, now I am working with MingW for compiler and codeblocks as ide. That means that porting ARGSS to other Operating Systems will be easier in the future(But it was a really pain to make MingW work with ruby and SFML in the past...). So, I am not more working with Visual Studio.
Now, the first post is not updated, I will see to update it soon. Also, I want to make a demo soon, after finishing the Input module, and you may see it soon.

Rep:
Level 84
After some work this week, I bring you all a new ARGSS demo, now using SFML library and with more usable methods. See the first post for download, and for the progress list now updated  ;D

Remember to report all bugs you find in the demo, and sugest you ideas  ;)

Rep:
Level 84
There have been lots of changes since last time. Now ARGSS has entered the Alpha stage. That means that almost all features are functional, but there may be lots of bugs and still isn't fully optimized.

Here is the last binary, for windows:
ARGSS Alpha Test Fix - Rev 31.rar
ARGSS Alpha Test Fix - Rev 31.7z
ARGSS Alpha Test Fix - Rev 31.zip

It is included the VC++ 2008 runtimes instaler for x86 with the downloads. If you have a x64 machine, you can download the runtimes from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BD2A6171-E2D6-4230-B809-9A8D7548C1B6&displaylang=en

Also, fisrt post updated :)