RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Windows API Library [1.1]

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Most Promising Project2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Project of the YearParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Windows API Library
Version: 1.1
Author: Exhydra
Date: 6-18-2011

Version History

• <Version 1.1> 06.20.2011 - Added methods; enhanced compatability of methods
  • <Version 1.0> 06.18.2011 - Original Release

Description

If you're simply curious, looking for something extra to spice up your game or hoping to find something to solve a problem you've been having, Windows API might have the answer! I've compiled a massive list of functions to play around with, so come on in and learn!

Features

• Determine full screen status of the game window.
  • Flash the game window at variable times and speeds.
  • Obtain the current and temporary directories easily.
  • Get and set INI values.
  • Display Windows style message boxes.
  • Resize the game window on-the-fly.
  • Temporarily disable game hot keys (F1 and ALT+Enter)
  • ... and others.

Screenshots

None

Instructions

See Attached Demo

Script

Too Large; See Attached Demo

Credit

• Exhydra

Thanks

• <Numerous Script Authors> (GetPrivateProfileString, AquireGameWindow)
  • <Mechacrash & Kylock> (ResizeGameWindow)

Support

• Please post in this thread for support.

Known Compatibility Issues

• None

Demo

See Attachment

Author's Notes

• Phew, finally had to pause from stuffing things into this project so I could post it. I've had a lot of fun learning Windows API and getting it to work decently within RPG Maker VX. If nothing else, I hope others learn as much as I did!

Restrictions

• Free for use in non-commercial and commercial games.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:10:02 AM by Exhydra »

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
:O
Detect fullscreen status? That's awesome. Some great stuff here. I'm really liking your scripting. I'm going to study this code and learn much of API from it.
So, kudos on the awesome.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Cool script, looks like it'd make a lot of things easier for scripters (or anyone, really).

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Most Promising Project2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Project of the YearParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Thanks! Some of the methods included aren't particularly useful to most people, but I figured that they were at least fun to play around with and perhaps learn a lot about Windows API. Determining full screen was my first, as I needed it for Shake Window ... then it kind of got out of hand. I'm researching passing information between two game windows through shared memory at the moment. Such interesting stuff!

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 82
I've done that before and Win32API isn't really suited, nor needed for that.  Its much easier to just create an intermediate file that both games can read/write from on a separate threads.

Other than that, you can reopen the STDOUT to dump to another process, like what I did with my Console Debugger, but you can't really do that with STDIN. You'll lose your controls.

Rep:
Level 82
Yeah, at this point it's more about fiddling around with what's available, really. Most of what I come across is just for playing around and not real useful application within a game.

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5