RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Global guild rules and Timeframe discussion

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature SpaceFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
You are about to get lampmoosed beyond your wildest dreams, mister.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)
BIGARADE!

you are so going to be smitten for trying to impede my vision. it does not behoove me to do so today, but you're living on borrowed time penisbreath.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:34:46 AM by modern algebra »

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Heil mein fuhrer, modern algebra.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
MA vs. Irock, round one. FIGHT.

*waits for the first fatality*

Oh, and I like the idea of starting January 1st, going to maybe the end of March.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
haha, this topic got funnier the further down i read.

Uhm. So about the time period. I like the 3 months and 4 releases. I mean, I don't care if it ends up being like 4 months and 4 releases or something. But I still like 3-4. Also, I don't think anyone said that each release would be a demo. Or at least I missed that part and just automatically assumed it'd be up to the guilds as to what they would release. I just thought it was a good idea to have a required release of some sort. Lol, actually, come to think of it, I don't think anything different was suggested since I mentioned the 3 months 4 releases. That's basically MA's staggering thing anyways. They're not all demos. Idk, I thought I mentioned multiple times that at the first release it would be up to the guilds as to what they release. I think I keep using the example: 1 Guild would release something like a story and character development at the first release, while the 2nd Guild would feel like releasing a title screen and a story.~ I don't really care what each guild releases as long as it's somewhat substantial. Not something like releasing main characters one release then releasing just their history the next release and stuff. I think releasing a demo would be up to each guild if they even want to, or maybe that'll just be the 3rd release that they have and the 4th release is the game. Something like that.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
3 month isn't very much time if the users on average put say 4 hours of work per week.
I would personally say we start the 1st of January and then finish the 30th of June with a looming deadline never being more than a month away.

I think Nammy had a good point in not wanting to releasing a demo. Seeing the finish demo without having seen the intermediate demos does sound more fun for the people outside. They get their teasers :3
I can tell that if I become a guild leader then I will force the build per month over my team. (I'll try to even if I don't become one)

*hugs*
 :>):

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I said I didn't want to release demos because they are decryptable, more than because it'd give away information.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Decrypting them is a lot of effort, and I doubt whoever did it wouldn't learn a lot of importance. They'll basically be seeing whatever is in the demo or game from just playing it anyways, if it's something that absolutely must not fall into the wrong hands they can hold from implementing it until they have to (a script or something, maybe?). Yeah ._.;;
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
not really, there are programs that have been written, you feed them an archive and they decrypt it for you.

Event systems, scripts, database information, anything that is encrypted would be up for grabs, which defeats the purpose of encryption.

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Attractive Female Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
Dirty bastards.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
not really, there are programs that have been written, you feed them an archive and they decrypt it for you.

Event systems, scripts, database information, anything that is encrypted would be up for grabs, which defeats the purpose of encryption.

The only way to be really safe then is to not release it, which sort of defeats the purpose :( Custom scripts and graphics are sure pretty heavy stuff to steal, but if you have none of that and simple event systems then I see no harm in it. We're a relatively small community too and any blatant theft would be noticed. We get people from .org and RRR anyway.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I don't care if it's decrypted after the thing is over, I just don't want them decrypting and stealing our work while it's still being made.

If we're making games and one team steals another team's work, and turns out an identical system, it causes so many issues, I want to avoid it.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
Well yeah I guess, but the guilds are being pretty closely monitored. Anyone would notice if someone stole from the others game, lol. I think we're above that :P

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Lol, I don't think our team would be stealing from you ._.
We have a pretty good grasp on things we're probably going to be using anyways, and I know for certain that Joy and I would be looking out for things like that. I know that I can easily recognize a lot of resources and if it was a certain person's or not. I'll be asking all of the members that have any resources to contribute to supply with credits and a source link if necessary. If we find something very suspicious, we'll ask Halo or MA about it and they'll check to see if you guys are using it or have been hiding it or something. Plus, I thought that's what Halo and MA were basically going to do anyways as overseeing the projects at the same time, unless I was mistaken.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I'm just paranoid enough grafikal :p

Besides, you can't say that your game won't be influenced by what you see, nor can we.  What if you see a concept in our demo for something, which causes you to change or modify or even try to reverse engineer to apply it in some way to your game.  Do you see where I'm trying to go with this?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Yeah, I mean, everyone is influenced by everything we see everyday, so I can't disagree that we would be influenced by your information just as much as you'd be influenced by ours. That's understandable.

I know what you mean about then taking information and trying to directly incorporate it into our game, however I think that'd be cheating. I know that I'm not a cheater unless it's an art history exam. So I know that I wouldn't be the one to do this. I'm very confident in Joy that she wouldn't either. If what you post would be made public and that if any of our members tried to suggest things directly related to your game then I know both Joy and I would reject it. Just as an example, if we saw that you were making your game and you used A LOT of green or maybe blue tints for a strong ambient feeling throughout your game (or if it were to help a major concept in your game), I would think that taking that same similar colors would be stealing, or even perhaps just tinting our game redish for the same reasons would be stealing. However, it'd be possible that instead you would influence us to think "Oh hey, using tints to set the ambience of a map or cutscene is an important idea that would work well with our already existing information". Like that kind of stuff is the influence I would expect to see from either of us. It ends up making either game better. I used that example since I pretty much do the whole tinting thing a lot anyways. So don't steal it :mad: lol. Idk, I'm pretty trusting in people and I place my full trust in both you an Irock that you wouldn't plagiarize work either.

If you're concerned about a story or something about a story were stolen, then I would imagine that even less likely. I mean, I've asked all the writers to come to the guilds with ideas already flowing. My reason is that when we get around to coming up with the story, it's where we would just meet and bounce these ideas around until we find a decent very basic naked plot. Then from there we work the details. I would also imagine that the story would be in the first release. So I would imagine that you guys could pretty much compare/contrast from what we said and what the final game ends up being. (Also, if you guys have like your own Story Forum or Topic like I imagine we would have, then MA or Halo could just check up on us on occassion.) I don't think a demo should really include any plot twists and stuff unless it's 1 plot twist right at the end of the demo to make people want more or something lol. I think if we were to steal that 1 plot twist, it'd be pretty obvious :P

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Attractive Female Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
All games are going to have overlapping concepts/systems, it's just the limitation of the system and the genres. There's varying levels of similarities between games, and while no one will cry foul over two games both having a system where you battle monsters and gain exp, who's to say at what level of similarity someone will become suspicious at?

I think because of that, even though I trust everyone involved completely, in order to remove any suspicion we should keep playable builds private until the final release. That way there's no way there can be any form of theft, and any similarities will be coincidence or just due to similarity of the programming and genres.

For gameplay updates, or if you just have to show off a system/scene for publicity, I think we should limit it to screenshots and videos.

There is absolutely no way we can prevent each other's games from impacting one another on some level, but you have it from me that, in the interest of the community having a varied experience between the two games, if I make any changes in response to your guild's work, it'll be to diversify our project from it.

There...I was long-winded.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I know you can't prevent influence, I just think demos would influence far more than just screenshots or information.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
That's cool. I can agree to not release playable demos. It doesn't really bother me. I like what Joy had said about screenshots and videos. Instead of demos, we could post videos.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I'm not talking about actually releasing the build. Other than MA & Halo nobody outside my guild would see the builds.
As for efford in decrypting the encrypted games. It took me an hour or two to write a java file and compile it into an executable .jar files so you can put the .jar file in the game directory, press enter and wait a couple of minutes before it's been decrypted.
It's piece of cake really, if you know what you are doing, and it's not time consuming. It took 5 minutes to decrypt 80 MB.

*hugs*

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I'm inclined to agree with Skanker; I think we as a community value originality so much that theft is out of the question. Then there's all the scrutiny- if theft of any idea or script or the like occurs, it would be found immediately. I also like what joy says, though- to prevent theft from occuring altogether, don't post a build. Screens and such would work fine, I think. Video even better.
:tinysmile: