RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
2012 + 2038

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Who here believes that the world will end on Dec. 21, 2012?

I don't.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:32:54 PM by Lazer Kirby »
Hi

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Nobody really believes it.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Lot's of desperate girls will the week before.

Spoiler for:
Not that I'm gonna take advantage of that

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Didn't people think that Y2K was the end of the world?

I would say that December twelfth isn't going to be either - this one time my one friend came up with the idea that the apocalypse was supposed to happen the next day, and well, here we are.

In any case, aren't there a whole pile of apocalypse dates, even disregarding the one with my friend found?

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician

Spoiler for:
Go to college already.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
GUYS, I'M PRETTY SURE THE WORLD ENDS TOMORROW, INSTEAD.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll

Spoiler for:
Go to college already.
I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm seriously not going to take advantage of it ._.
Also you reminded me to update my Bean Bags thread thank you.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
If you believe anything a human said about the end of the world if their first name wasn't Carl and their last name wasn't Sagan, you're unbelievably stupid.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Everyone thought it was gonna end in 1995, 2000 and June 6, 2006, what makes you think it'll f*cking end on 2012? Humans have that ideal of thinking too ahead and too close to fall on their own Delusions ~ The World can end any time, any day, any year, and when it happens, what the hell will you do about it? Panic? Bah! ~ You won't even know what hit you all ~

Just because some Mexican Indian tribe wrote it would end in 2012 doesn't mean it'll happen, and I'm not putting Religion in the discussion as it's out of the question before anyone says otherwise.

Besides ~ Natural Selection, benefits the survivors stronger and better ~

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
It is the end of the Mayan calendar.

Rep:
Level 96
Quote from: Wikipedia
The adjective Mayan is sometimes used to refer to the indigenous peoples of parts of Mexico

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
~ You won't even know what hit you all ~
In just about every apocalypse scenario, we will.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
It is the end of the Mayan calendar.

This. The end of their 13th "age" or sumsuch if I recall. It just plops along till the next one. not quite sure where the misconception started.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 97
Honestly I could care less when the word ended. I'm happy with my life and if I died tomorrow or in 30 years it wouldn't make a difference to me. And you know what, either of those could happen. 'End of the world' theories are retarded, everyone dies, it doesn't matter when or how.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
I  think I read somewhere that the Mayan calendar is a cycle, and after Dec. 21 2012, the cycle will start over again.
Hi

Rep:
Level 96
I read that the Mayan civilization went out of existence around 900 AD, which is probably around where the guy that made the calendars died. Maybe 2012 is as far as he got. And then he died. Going farther than 2012 AD when you're only in the year 900 IS kind of silly.

::)

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
It all seems unrealistic, but if you mix in global warming and pollution, it makes people afraid that the glaciers and all the ice will melt completely and flood the world.
Hi

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
The Mayan calendar wasn't actually a product of the Mayans. It was passed on to them by the Olmec, and they adapted it for their own use. So, technically, it is the Olmec calendar. Also, they were significantly older than the Mayans, so the year 900 thing doesn't matter. The "cyclical" nature of the calendar comes from folklore that states that the previous age was ended in water, and the current age will end in fire.

Rep:
Level 96
But it still raises the question of how far the calendar we use today goes. It's simply a question of how lazy the person is, and how far ahead they decide to figure out the dates for. Computers kind of make it irrelevant for us, because we can go any number of years into the future, it doesn't even matter. But back then, they had to stop counting somewhere, you know? To believe that they actually CHOSE a specific date to stop because it was the end of the world, as opposed to just stopping because "eh, that's like 2000 years into the future, that's far enough for now" is pretty gullible. The fact that the Mayan calendar is even older only supports my point.

Then again, I don't have all the information, this isn't really my subject. But still.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
world ends when i die

thats 7 months
if arlen doesn't interfere
Arlen is hot.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
You can be an optimist and say "The world's not going to end for at least thousands of years still."

Or you can be a pessimist and say "We're all gonna die before then anyway from nuclear war or global warming."

Either way, the world's not going to end in 2012.

Rep:
Level 102
But it still raises the question of how far the calendar we use today goes. It's simply a question of how lazy the person is, and how far ahead they decide to figure out the dates for. Computers kind of make it irrelevant for us, because we can go any number of years into the future, it doesn't even matter. But back then, they had to stop counting somewhere, you know? To believe that they actually CHOSE a specific date to stop because it was the end of the world, as opposed to just stopping because "eh, that's like 2000 years into the future, that's far enough for now" is pretty gullible. The fact that the Mayan calendar is even older only supports my point.

Then again, I don't have all the information, this isn't really my subject. But still.
That's the best explanation for the end of the calendar.

Why didn't I think of that, or even hear it before? ;_;

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
The films and games are scaring the world
Hi

Rep:
Level 94
Did any of you actually see the Mayan calendar? It's not a thing that just comes to an end arbitrarily.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
I have to go with Arlen on this.

Rep:
Level 96
Did any of you actually see the Mayan calendar? It's not a thing that just comes to an end arbitrarily.
How is Dec 21, 2012 NOT an arbitrary date? What is that, a Tuesday? Spoooooky.

Rep:
Level 94
It's arbitrary to you, because you know nothing of other ways of dating and timing things than what you were raised with, and what our society teaches. Time is an invention of man, and just because one group of people decides that December 21, or any other date is arbitrary, doesn't make it so for other people. Think of July 4th, and how it doesn't mean anything to Australians. What I'm trying to say is that words and numbers are just ideas. Do you understand what I mean?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I'm not really for or against the growing debate, but I just think about our calendar and how it's not arbitrary. Maybe arbitrary in when it starts and begins (since time is arbitrary), but not in how long it is considering our calendar is based on a year which is the length of time it takes earth to revolve around the sun 1 time. I would like to think of the Mayan calendar in this way where in its creation they weren't thinking about what day it would end, but rather how long would it be before a new one begins. (Mind you, I don't really know much of anything substantial about Mayans, so I don't know what a "new one" is referring to other than some event that you could relate to as the event we call, a year.) If it happens to fall on 12/12/2012, then that could be arbitrary in the respect that perhaps if they planned this calendar a single day before they did it would then instead end on 12/11/2012, and so on. My point is, whenever the calendar ends, it marks the end of something and the beginning of something else. I think it's along the lines of what Jonesy was talking about, this ends and new one just plops along, so to speak (even if they didn't get around to making a new calendar for it).

Also, I don't believe it's the end of the world. I never have for any of these doomsayer occasions.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:53:33 AM by grafikal009 »

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
What Arlen said DOES make a whole ton of sense. Someone has to make a website posting that to calm the believers down.
Hi

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
~time is arbitrary, there is no denying that. So yeah, what Arlen says is true. It doesn't really matter what day it falls on and who made it up, but either way the calendar is marked for a certain span of time that is set. So like I said, if the Mayans (I'll reference Holk here) received the basic structure of the calendar from the Olmec perhaps a few years earlier or finished it's design a few days later than it did, the ending date would be different but the time span the calendar reads would still be the same. In either event, the supposed COMING OF DOOOOOOM is spent when the calendar is finished albiet a tuesday or wednesday or in 2012 or 2222.

Rep:
Level 96
It's arbitrary to you, because you know nothing of other ways of dating and timing things than what you were raised with, and what our society teaches. Time is an invention of man, and just because one group of people decides that December 21, or any other date is arbitrary, doesn't make it so for other people. Think of July 4th, and how it doesn't mean anything to Australians. What I'm trying to say is that words and numbers are just ideas. Do you understand what I mean?
Hehe, yeah, I do understand what you're saying. Honestly, I thought you were just playing devil's advocate, because you don't strike me as the type to buy into this kind of thing, so that last post was just me trying to be funny.

Rep:
Level 96
My Mac's date and time setting only goes up to the year 2037. I guess that's when the Apple company will die out.
Spoiler for:
Just being a jackass. :V

Rep:
Level 98
Y3k, the end of Apple.

Rep:
Level 94
I don't really buy into it, but the truth is that the only way to know is to live through it and see for ourselves. The part of your posts that I was refuting was about the relevancy of dates and times, more than it was about the end of the world. I'm really big into ancient cultures and myths, so this type of thing piques my interest. Being interested in it doesn't mean that I believe in it, though. The Mayan cultures were eerily precise in their astronomical predictions and charting, which is pretty cool to me. That's what their calendar was based around, and like the sundial, it is a circle. This in itself is pretty coincidental, because circles and cycles have always been related parallel to life and the world. I just really like to look at all of these pieces and try to see the big picture they're trying to make. If it wasn't for Spaniards destroying all sorts of ancient texts in their bout to spread Christianity, we would probably know a lot more about these types of things.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Mayans extinct by 2012?
Arlen is hot.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
here I was expecting a discussion about the up and coming movie.\

It looks sub-par, in case you were wondering.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
here I was expecting a discussion about the up and coming movie.\

It looks sub-par, in case you were wondering.
Well, the movie looks great...
Hi

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
looks like a generic end of the world film to me.
*shrugs*

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
We're all going to die

Spoiler for:
except Nightwolf  ;8

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
He'll grow an extra arm

upon the death

of everything else

:tpg:

Spoiler for:
Chuck Norris too, silly : O

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
OF COURSE CHUCK NORRIS MUST SURVIVE BECAUSE HE IS THE ALMIGHTY CHUCK!
Hi

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
I didn't forget him =o  Chuck Norris is Immortal.. and so is exempt. 

He's also omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent

Be afraid, be very afraid

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
*is afraid*

Wow, this topic got bigger than my game topic in 3 days.
Hi

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
except for Chuck Norris has been defeated at 5 times in real life and once as far as I know in a movie. Own'd by Bruce Lee.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
WHO CARES CHUCK IS STILL THE ULTIMATE CHUCK
Hi

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
Dec. 21 2012 is my 22nd birthday.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
O_O

Coincidence? Wow.

I gotta remember to post a happy birthday or something on Dec. 21
Hi

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
O_O

Coincidence? Wow.

I gotta remember to post a happy birthday or something on Dec. 21

you won't be able to in 2012 cuz the world will end.

Rep:
Level 86
Sonic Dog -> Light Spear -> Overlimit -> Slash
Penn & Teller did an episode of Bullshit! on this. It's really entertaining, actually, you guys should check it out (what can be better than a magician openly demeaning crazy people, anyway?).

Spoiler for:
For anyone that's seen it, I lol'd at the couple of 'researchers' counting the steps of the Mayan Temples. Enough said.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Lol, I very nearly saw that: my brother was watching it

and then I had to leave :(

sigh.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
2012 is when I graduate. :( If the world actually ends 2012 for whatever reason, I'll have gone through hell just to be put back into hell. :mad:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
You'll go to some university that year, work in some scientific lab for milking cows faster, and accidentally blow the world up.

We all die in 2012 because of you.  :mad:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Hi

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Bit of a revival. Some new information that I heard. Sometime in 2012 there's a scheduled super solar storm. There was one back in like...the 1850's that they called the 'Perfect Solar Storm' but apparently this one has been long coming and due to be intense. In the 1850's it didn't matter worth a shit since the only technology affected by it was the telegraph. You can see where this is going, so if half the world loses all electric power, I suppose we're fucked in a way. Not really the end of the world, but surely fucked hard for a long time and it'd be a long time before we recover from it. It's not an end of the world theory like epic explosions and shit, but more like we'd go back into the dark ages instantly and people all over the world would bitch and cry like a fucking baby and that's why it would suck. World wide EMP blast. BOOOSHHH. lol.

Rep:
Level 97
Knowing ._.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
what? lol. the movie? that was on television tonight... i was watching it kinda while typing my paper.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I couldn't care less about 2012. I just want to go home from work every day.

I see it this way. Everyone dies, eventually. What can you do to stop it? Not a damned thing. Some people spend their entire lives worrying about dying, and when the moment comes, they say "Oh, why didn't I LIVE my life?" At least, I've heard some of my patients say so.

Screw 2021. I'm a cold war kid, living with imminent destruction is nothing new to me. Live life in every breath.

Spoiler for:
Having said that, watch me be wrong and 2012 IS the end. Good to know ya, guys!
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
I see it this way. Everyone dies, eventually. What can you do to stop it? Not a damned thing.
I sorta feel that way, except I think death is just as beautiful as life. Leaving all your problems behind and taking your memories of loved ones with you :)

I don't necessarily welcome death, but I don't fear it or obsess over it.
what? lol. the movie? that was on television tonight... i was watching it kinda while typing my paper.
Also yes

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I sorta feel that way, except I think death is just as beautiful as life. Leaving all your problems behind and taking your memories of loved ones with you :)

That is a beautiful way of looking at death, IMO.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Bit of a revival. Some new information that I heard. Sometime in 2012 there's a scheduled super solar storm. There was one back in like...the 1850's that they called the 'Perfect Solar Storm' but apparently this one has been long coming and due to be intense. In the 1850's it didn't matter worth a shit since the only technology affected by it was the telegraph. You can see where this is going, so if half the world loses all electric power, I suppose we're fucked in a way. Not really the end of the world, but surely fucked hard for a long time and it'd be a long time before we recover from it. It's not an end of the world theory like epic explosions and shit, but more like we'd go back into the dark ages instantly and people all over the world would bitch and cry like a fucking baby and that's why it would suck. World wide EMP blast. BOOOSHHH. lol.

Sooooo....here's to hoping India China and Russia get hit with that...and all of europe. Those people stink So we can get their coffee.
And I recall hearing about a rather large solar storm five years ago on halloween or something that did absolutely nothing. Who knows, maybe we'll end up like the Fantastic Four. :D

Anyhow I think I agree with everything I skimmed over of Holk's posts. The calender is like a circle correct? And when it ends it just loops again IIRC. But I can't take this too seriously, I've lived through many a total annihilation scenarios and about 99% of which we never hear about for some reason or another. Methinks I'll survive 2012 just like I did the numerous solar flares that could've poked through and wiped us clean, Y2K, 06/06/06 and whatever other none-sense.

2012 looks very sub-par, it looks like independence day had a bastard child with the day after tomorrow (nothing to similar about them...all about specific dates or being made by the smae guy...noooooo).
My perfect doomsday scenario would be Chew-Z. Ohohohoho....how about yours?

EDIT wow I wrote game instead of guy.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:26:15 PM by Ko?ciuszko »

Rep:
Level 83
The Mayans are not the only peoples to have made predications concerning the winter solstice in 2012. Nostrodamus did, the Hopi did, the Egyptians and so on (http://www.13moon.com/prophecy%20page.htm)
That 2012 will be the end of the Earth/mankind as we view it is debateable, they probably meant the end of the age symbolically, in essence, a passing of a time, like the galactic equinox.
The reason that Maya believed that this time would be the end of all is because they believed in the center of the galaxy was an evil place, and we'll be lining up and shit, that's my take on it all at any rate.

(P.S I just read that website, It's very wierd and is abundant with what seems to be false information.)
Projects:
ProjectAstura(Rmxp)
Illian Online(vbGore)
ProlengaEngine/UrbaniaOnline(Custom MUD Engine)
Infraelly(MMORPG Development Engine)
Kandora (Graal-Reborn Server)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I just want to make sure I get a good amount of D3 and The Old Republic play in before the world dies. If I die before I play both of those, then fuck you, world. fuck you.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

You know, I read a book about this once. Was quite an interesting read. 

Edit: umm.. this being a world wide blackout caused by a solar storm >_>   

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
My Mac's date and time setting only goes up to the year 2037. I guess that's when the Apple company will die out.
Spoiler for:
Just being a jackass. :V
Quoting an old post but there is actually a reason for that and its similar to the problem we encountered with Y2K.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
I still don't believe it.
Hi

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Just curious, why do the Macs only go up to 2037? Seems like an odd number... any significance?

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Ah, I see. Thanks, chew.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
The problem affects all software and systems that store system time as a signed 32-bit integer, and interpret this number as the number of seconds since 00:00:00 January 1, 1970
Send out a patch that changes the year that it started, lol. Didn't they have to deal with something like this in Y2K? You'd think they noted where the time/dates were stored. :P

And they have, like, 28 years to do this. >_> I don't think they'll be lounging around those 28 years.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
1)I agree. People have 28 years to fix this problem
2)We're getting a bit off topic
Hi

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
The thread was dead anyway.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Okay lets rename it to 2038 + 2012
Hi

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
The difference between the Y2k and Y2k38 problem is that the Y2k was primarily broke uis where as Y2k38 has a much higher chance of causing problems in the back-end.
Considering all the darned legacy code in existence today I'll make the prediction that there will still exist systems using 32bit integers for storing dates.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
The difference between the Y2k and Y2k38 problem is that the Y2k was primarily broke uis where as Y2k38 has a much higher chance of causing problems in the back-end.
Considering all the darned legacy code in existence today I'll make the prediction that there will still exist systems using 32bit integers for storing dates.

Oh definitely I can see that, parts of the government still use DOS regularly. I'm gonna assume tons of companies still use  quasi-archaic systems. but I guess we depend on them to the point where if we took the time to actually upgrade it could cause larger amounts of damage not being able to access the data.
I can't tell you how many times I've read stuf like "Oh everybody should just use macs". That's dumb. we depend on systems probably older than any regulars on this forum. Imagine the incompatibilities, it'd be like vista 2.0 virus and all if OS X gets the majority of users.

Anyhow, it's an interesting topic but I'm sure people are exaggerating how much damage this could cause.

Rep:
Level 82
Soul Crossblade!!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
what 2038 now too?

<3
Rep:
Level 83
I am the love in your heart. <3
I don't really. There are 2 years left before 2012, and so far we are surviving. We have water, clear air (well, some) and some plants. And personally, I don't believe global warming exists so I don't think the south and north poles would melt, and not in 2 years.

Ahh well, that's why I don't. =P

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Hi

Rep:
Level 102
2012 + 2038 = 4050

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Hi

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
2012 + 2038 = 4050
* Ko?ciuszko slowly claps

Rep:
Level 82
Soul Crossblade!!
The end of the world won't probably happen on the said dates, but if we, humans, continue to pollute and abuse our world, it would happen soon.

And the sad fact is, we ourselves lead the world towards its end.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
The end of the world won't probably happen on the said dates, but if we, humans, continue to pollute and abuse our world, it would happen soon.

And the sad fact is, we ourselves lead the world towards its end.

Yer know we humans have so little evolution left in us. We've stopped adapting to our environment and started adapting our environment to fit our needs. We seem to be pretty damn good at it too, so I doubt we're going to kill our race. We may be short sighted but we're definitely not blind.
It's far more likely that we will just turn into scavengers and the world will reset its cycle of evolution from monkey to man.

It's ok. I would have stopped working on the calendar after documenting 5126 years, or 1,870,990 days, too.

Hahahaha, me too.  ;D

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Either Julius Caesar got bored of making the calendar or he died after he wrote "December 21, 2012"
Hi

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Why are you referencing Caesar

Rep:
Level 82
Soul Crossblade!!
Yer know we humans have so little evolution left in us. We've stopped adapting to our environment and started adapting our environment to fit our needs. We seem to be pretty damn good at it too, so I doubt we're going to kill our race. We may be short sighted but we're definitely not blind.
It's far more likely that we will just turn into scavengers and the world will reset its cycle of evolution from monkey to man.

Well we might not be blind about our environment around us but, very few people seem to care for it and are trying to save it, not all of us do so....

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Why are you referencing Caesar
i think he contributed to the making of the calender.
Hi

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I didn't realize that Caesar was Mayan. :V

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Caesar was Supreme Overlord of the Mayans. That's why he had to hire Che Guevara and Louis XIV to help him write the calendar out, so he could carry on his overlord duties. Christ, open a history textbook once in a while.

That's why it ends in 2012. Louis XIV had a tattoo on his left butt cheek that said 122112 and during a sponge bath he decided he'd just quit the calendar then.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Caesar was Supreme Overlord of the Mayans. That's why he had to hire Che Guevara and Louis XIV to help him write the calendar out, so he could carry on his overlord duties. Christ, open a history textbook once in a while.

That's why it ends in 2012. Louis XIV had a tattoo on his left butt cheek that said 122112 and during a sponge bath he decided he'd just quit the calendar then.

listen to this man
expert on history

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Yeah. Let me just go and open the fucking textbook I happen to own for no fucking reason. I'm not in highschool. Christ, why don't you shut the fuck up. And no, I'm not going to go and research somethings so OBVIOUSLY fucking stupid.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Kirby, we understand you're like 10 years old and you're the coolest kid in the world on this forum. We don't care. You're not even technically supposed to be allowed here as the minimum age is 13, but we don't care. So stop it.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
stop what

p.s. all the facts about me except for the fact that I'm not supposed to be here is incorrect.

p.s.s. I looked all over the forums, and no where did it say the minimum age is 13.. unless I didn't search enough. I doubt that it's not somewhere...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:05:56 PM by Kael »
Hi

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
The subject changed from end of the world to Arbitrary number dates to Kirby been told to shut up . . . did I miss something?

Rep:
Level 94
I missed it too. Lets just ignore it and make out.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
As far as I'm concerned, this topic has long been over. It turned into WAHH GRAFIKAL WAS BEING SARCASTIC AND DOESN'T READ TEXT BOOKS to "Kirby agrees because he knows everything about this entire subject because he learned it all when he was nine years old". If we could all be less dick holes, it would have been MUCH EASIER AND SAVED TIME TO WRITE LESS OF A MESSAGE from Malson like: "Caesar was Supreme Overlord of the Mayans. That's why he had to hire Che Guevara and Louis XIV to help him write the calendar out, so he could carry on his overlord duties." Christ, open a history textbook once in a while. Bam NOT A DICK, but oh hey, let's be a dick because being a dick to some one who was obviously sarcastic is cool. And then reenforcing it with Kirby's "I knew about Julius Caesar last year. When I was nine."

Ya see. I feel like, you'd have to spend the time to actually be a dick and type the rest of those sentences rather than just not typing it and actually being some sort of productive. I would know, I'm often a dick to newbies.

And no, I'm not pissed and not bitching, so I don't need smart-ass remarks. Just saying, it takes a special some one.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Uhh... I'm going to lock this now.

plus either i missed something or there was no hint of sarcasm in the post.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:15:35 PM by Kael »
Hi

Rep:
Level 84
All Hail the Motherboard.
i didnt take time to read through this whole thread, but maybe, just maybe THE MAYANS DIDNT WANT A CALENDER THAT DAMN LONG, Hell A year calender is long but they were around in 3000 something BC maybe they just thought that was enough,

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
good point, and how the hell did this topic get unlocked
Hi

Rep:
Level 82
that is the most retarded thing to come into existense....i blame the aztecs, im sure thats prolly they didnt want their calander to be like, im sure they were prolly too lazy to make more of the calander thats why it stopped at 12/21/2012
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rep:
Level 94
1. This thread is old.
2. Your post contributed nothing.
3. If you can't bother to check your spelling or grammar, don't post in the debate section.
4. You have a worn out quote as your sig.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
I saw this and just had to post this :

I can't stand when a Christian will stand there and preach about the date the world will end.

The Bible itself explicitly says that no man will ever know when that will happen.

You don't have to believe the Bible to realize how stupid it is for somebody to do that.

EDIT : In case somebody reading this doesn't know, I am a Christian myself. (though I'm pretty sure there's nobody here that doesn't know that).
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
He's Christian, and when he faps in the shower it turns all white and glue like. Don't worry, he's fine.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
this plausible fake theory gonna fuck up ur life. its completely bullshit without any scientific evidences. nobody really believes that.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
this plausible fake theory gonna fuck up ur life. its completely bullshit without any scientific evidences. nobody really believes that.

What, that the worlds gonna end in (presented dates)? Or that my semen is white?

Sorry, sorry. --- had to say it lol.

EDIT : Wow I'm tired... I just spelled semen as "seman" .... -_-

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 98

Thanks for this worthwhile post, kid.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
OOOOOOOOOOOh... word filter... gotcha! lol... I'm slow sometimes...

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 94
The good news is that while you're trying to decide whether or not that person is a troll, you can buy some WoW gold from him.

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
There's no real evidence, there's nothing in the Mayan text that would suggest the end of the world, I don't believe in it.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest MemberMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
WHAT THE FUCK

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest MemberMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Oh great, now you've made chewey mad >:O This is just great.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!