RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Map-making tips...

Rep:
Level 84
This is my most active account.
I need help making a map that kinda looks like the Zelda games...
Unlike FF or those other stuff, I want to make a single world map with full size towns.
Games that have it:
1. Pokemon
2. Zelda
3. Megaman... i think...

ok, you get the idea right? lol

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
what rpg maker version?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
It's going to cause a tremendous amount of lag if you use only one large map for the whole game.
Splice it into numerous smaller maps instead.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
It's going to cause a tremendous amount of lag if you use only one large map for the whole game.
Splice it into numerous smaller maps instead.

it wouldn't lag -as much- if it wasn't for the events.
Blizzard's ABSEAL (ABS Event Anti Lag) could reduce the lag to a -point-.

in the end it would be better to split it into smaller maps, though with ABSEAL larger maps are possible so you could split it into say 2 or 3 instead of like...15

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
This is my most active account.
Good point. The lag is going to suck...
But I can split it...  ;8

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
You can sort of make it "seamless" by splitting it and have the transport points like 10 tiles before the actual end of that particular split map, and when transporting without screen fade to the duplicated point on the other map you're transferring to, it should be fairly smooth. Although it would involve making all the transport events as parallel processing events to cover entire borders (track player X & Y then see if player X > or < map's transport point's border, and then record player's X or Y to transport player to the next map with the same value of either X or Y, depending on which border). Would be a big hassle though, and I don't think most would mind normal distinct map zones that much.

Rep:
Level 84
I've done that for my XP game. Wrote a call script (parallel process) that checks for the character's x and y coordinates. Then if it matches or is outside the maps border it transfers the player to the appropriate adjacent map.

The variables for the maps borders and the variables for the maps that are north , south, east and west are set in an invisible auto event on each map. I also have set maps under and above, so when you reach a cave entrance, you just transfer to player to the identical position on the map underneath.

Not that hard to do (it was my first attempt at writing call scripts.)

I have considered making the map "borders"  half a screen (320 tiles and 210tiles) before the edge of the map so that the map transitions would appear seamless, but have some other projects to do.

PM me if you want to see what I have done...

Rep:
Level 86
Bringer of chaos!
What you could use is one of the scrolling map scripts,

What they do is what zelda on snes did.

Every time you hit the edge of the map, the map would scroll over to the next map as though it was 1 big map.
No transition screens, No fade outs.. it's perfect for what you need :)

Rep:
Level 89
Let's attack agressively.
I have found a script that does that, only downside is that is on the same map (on a big one), it doesn't take you to a different map.

@BlueEagle7 Really? Does it take you to another map?