RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Midnight - Enter the Survival Horror (DEMO + Teaser Trailer)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
The M7 Scene is a bit challenging...but it IS beatable. You just have to have quick reactions. I'll probably tone it down a bit in the real game, but I want people's opinions first as to how fun it is, how difficult it is and if anyone found any bugs.

Rep:
Level 88
Damn, Zylos, that was amazing! It was very tense, but I really liked it. I haven't seen the RPG Maker used quite like that before. I'm impressed. Personally, I like the current level of difficulty, and I don't think it needs to be toned down much, if at all, for the final game. It took me four attempts to get through it, but the first time I died almost instantly because I didn't know what to expect. The only thing I would say about it that you may need to fix, is the controls. They seem a little too sensitive; once or twice I wanted to move to the middle, but I shot all the way across to the other side. After a while I got used to it, but it was slightly too sensitive for my tastes. But overall, this was really great. It was fun.
Spoiler for My Game Recommendations:
1) Demon Gate --- A great game with a terrific character-relationship system, an engaging story, and plenty of secrets and options for players who wish to be good/evil.
http://www.raizap.com/demongate/

2) Midnight --- A survival-horror game created with RPG Maker XP. Combat plays out in the smoothest running real-time battle system I have seen yet.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23239.0.html

3) The Healer --- A charming game with beautiful mapping and a fun battle system. One of the few games to use a healer as a main character, and so far it's pulled off well.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23524.0.html

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Sensitivity has now been fixed. I'm experimenting with adding a monster chasing you down the passage. What would happen is you would avoid obstacles in the passage like in the M7 Scene, but hitting them won't kill you. It will, however, slow you down a little, and if the monster catches up to you, it's game over.

I've not been able to work on everything as much as I'd like to (thanks to my brother), but things are progressing, albeit a bit slowly. Considering how much I've gotten done in only a little more than a month, I don't think I'm doing too bad so far.

I'll try to keep you up to date on my progress.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
 :tpg: go Zylos, and i ment the boss not the M7 Scene, i just find the gun a bit hard to use for a split second.
But then again what i played was a demo, and i'm sure playing the game more when its done, we'll get use to being able to do that. So disregard my previous post.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Would you believe that I had the computer to myself for almost the entire day? YES!

UPDATE!

The graveyard is completely finished. You'll need to be careful where you step, otherwise a zombie might grab you from the ground. I'm also working on zombie sprites that pop out from the ground entirely (it's harder than it sounds). Next on the list of things to do is the laboratory.

I'm still experimenting with the bosses, but I like what I have got so far. It should definitely make for some intense combat. I'm also trying to experiment with human bosses. Obviously it won't take dozens of bullets to bring a human down, but what if the human was quick enough to avoid being in the line of fire AND had a gun to shoot you from a distance? You'll definitely have to be on your toes to beat that one.

Judging from all the things I have to work on, I'd say the game itself should be finished by early february. In the meantime, I'm working on a second demo which should demonstrate the freedom of choice. It won't tie in with the actual game plot-wise (so as to not spoil the actual plot), but you'll quickly see just how choices will affect the way you play.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Actually i don't belive it!!!!

lol, man you gotta be working hard man. The graveyard thing is something i'm looking forward to.

Spoiler for:
I'm guessing the Human we'd be fighting is the one that we saw on the roof outside the mansion.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Perhaps, perhaps not. You'll just have to wait and see.

...I love being so mysterious.  ;)

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Aww man, now i have to wait!!  :tpg: darn you and your mysteriousness.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Out of curiousity, has anyone had an error with my demo saying "the script is hanging" or something like that? One person PMed me about it but said that it only happens when he has another program running at the same time. I've investigated but I can't find anything wrong with the demo. Does anyone else have this problem?

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
No i haven't but i'll see if i get the bug to. I'll either post or edit this one.

<Edit>

After i download it again lol.

<Edit2>

Alright, i didn't get any error while playing.
I had Internet Explorer up, My project up, Msn Messenger, and Yahoo Messenger up.
Not sure what else i could do to get the the error, how far was were they before they got the error?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:40:31 PM by Ruzu »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
He said that he couldn't even play the game. I have a feeling that it's just a problem with his computer or something, but I need to make sure, otherwise I might have some big problems later on if there really IS a bug.

BTW, happy new year, everybody!

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
lol happy new years to you to.
I'm sure it's just a problem with his computer, unless i just got lucky. I played the game and had all sorts of things on and not all sorts of things on. And it ran well, i even killed 4 zombies and got a head shot.

Wandering Artist
Rep:
Level 86
You got a problem? Fix by yourself.
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
It's late for me to say this, but...happy new year, everyone.
I've tried as well, nothing bad happened to me except that I get more freak out with your new scene...
I like the challenge though, don't mind with my scream (it's a must for a horror game!).

Oh...and if an error really occured because of some program running at the same time, he should just turn it off and try it again. As for me, I'm fine.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 07:41:51 AM by emidy »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
UPDATE!

I've now got some bosses up and running, most of whom have a strategic way of being defeated. And no Ruzu, you don't have to be super fast with your gun to beat them. That would be making it too difficult.

Speaking of difficult, I'm adding hordes of zombies now. In the demo, you only took on one or two at a time, but towards the end of the game those numbers are going to increase drastically. I've even made one area have twelve zombies coming at you! That should add some scare, when you think you're all alone in a room and suddenly zombies start crawling out from everywhere. I foresee some people repeating "Oh s%!#, oh s%!#, oh s%!#...." to themselves...

I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but Midnight's still alive and kicking!

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
I love this game! I downloaded the demo last week, but I got stuck when looking for the second coin, but it was still awesome.

Keep it up Zylos!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
You still stuck?

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
I don't think it's a bug, I think it is just me not thinking straight, but I do get a sense of "I have been everywhere" while I am looking for it.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Which coin did you find?

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
The Charlmagne(?) coin.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
You'll need to find the basement. The entrance is hidden somewhere in the library.

Remember, when in doubt, examine EVERYTHING! You never know what you may find.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
That is why I love this game. :tpg:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Yay! People like my work!  :D

Try playing the Resident Evil series, it's my main source of inspiration.

Wandering Artist
Rep:
Level 86
You got a problem? Fix by yourself.
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
I knew it... BTW, have you ever play Fatal frame? there is a ghost which cannot be defeated in some area. When he touches you, it's the END. You need to run away from it, and it's actually kinda fun. It can be some kind inspiration eh?

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Hopefully his inspiration isn't resident evil 4, that game was all action and barley any scare.(The breathing got from the Iron Maiden and the Regenarators).
Also have you played "The Convent" it has no fighting in it but just the athmosphere of the place is pretty scary  :( (it's an rmxp game btw).

Also for the updates, s@#%$ freakkin 12 in one room?  ;8 i foresee everyone needing at least over 20 retrys.
lol, still love your game.  ;8

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I knew it... BTW, have you ever play Fatal frame? there is a ghost which cannot be defeated in some area. When he touches you, it's the END. You need to run away from it, and it's actually kinda fun. It can be some kind inspiration eh?

I've never played it, but I do have something similar in store. Unfortunately it's plot related I can't say much about it.

@Ruzu: I played "The Convent", and I must say I was impressed with it's graphics and ambience, but it seriously lacked in it's story. That's one of the big differences between Midnight and the Convent; my game has a definite story to it.

Also, RE4 was a survival action, not survival horror. My game is not all about action, it's mostly about puzzles and scares. The twelve zombies is supposed to get your adrenaline running, but you're supposed to run away from them instead of fighting them. Remember that in the game you have limited ammunition, so if you wanted to you could TRY taking them on, but the best way is to take a deep breath and run through them very quickly.

The goal of RE4 was to kill everything that moved. The goal of Midnight is just to effing survive.

@Tezuka: Are you still stuck or did you figure it out?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:47:13 AM by Zylos »