RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] Our Town's Growing

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature spaceSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll

It's a town theme. :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:12:43 AM by irock »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
I like this, although I feel like the main melody instrument changed too much. Don't be afraid to layer it on just a hair more in sound, and thin it out towards the end. It felt like it didn't get more dynamic, but just changed tones.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
This is actually really cool. You have a knack for writing these fun, quirky little tunes. At first it sounded like something that could be in Animal Crossing, but then it strayed from that a bit. Also I like how rhythmic the melody is though. It's not simple but it isn't complicated and it's still catchy. I equally love and hate the end section. It's a great part but I wish it were a little longer and more developed. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though.

When the drums come in and it repeats I think you could change things up a little more. A good rule when you repeat instrumental music is to not make it exactly the same the second, third, etc. time. The drums are a good addition but it still feels repetitive and if this were actually looping in a game it would be even worse.

Anyway, good job!
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature spaceSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
I like this, although I feel like the main melody instrument changed too much. Don't be afraid to layer it on just a hair more in sound, and thin it out towards the end. It felt like it didn't get more dynamic, but just changed tones.
This is a good point. I'm not really satisfied with the instrumentation of the melody.

This is actually really cool. You have a knack for writing these fun, quirky little tunes. At first it sounded like something that could be in Animal Crossing, but then it strayed from that a bit. Also I like how rhythmic the melody is though. It's not simple but it isn't complicated and it's still catchy. I equally love and hate the end section. It's a great part but I wish it were a little longer and more developed. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though.

When the drums come in and it repeats I think you could change things up a little more. A good rule when you repeat instrumental music is to not make it exactly the same the second, third, etc. time. The drums are a good addition but it still feels repetitive and if this were actually looping in a game it would be even worse.

Anyway, good job!
Thanks!

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the melody being rhythmic? I think I might know what you mean, but I'm not entirely sure. I just never really associate my concept of what rhythm is with melody. The main melody is definitely my personal favorite part of the track, so it would be cool to get more insight as to why I like it.

I agree in retrospect that the bridge section is too short. It should probably be like twice as long.

I've accidentally(?) gotten into the habit of repeating sections note for note with different instrumentation for the melody. This is probably my weakest execution of that and it shows. I think I'd benefit from exploring and getting good at other forms of variation, specifically melodic variation.

I'm starting to wonder if the steady nature of the hi hat in the main section is counteracting the somewhat wobbly nature of the melody and... left hand part and detracting from the groove. Hmmm.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:21:13 AM by irock »

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
What I mean by the melody being rhythmic is that it's not just half notes, for example. It's bouncy and syncopated (kinda) and quick. Another way to put it is that it's not really the kind of thing you would sing.

Repeating sections note for note in the melody is not necessarily a bad thing. Repeating sections exactly isn't, either. Repetition can be used to great effect. It's up to you to decide whether or not to repeat and exactly how much of a copy that repeat is going to be. But anyway, you wouldn't necessarily have to change the melody. You could add in just an instrument that pops in and out, another percussive instrument, a harmony line (though that might complicate things more than you want), and about a bazillion other things. There are a lot better examples, but for some reason (it's late and I'm exhausted) this is what came to mind first:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEBir7BGBeE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEBir7BGBeE</a>

Each section after the intro plays through the melody once, and then plays it again but changing the ending (resolving the section) and usually with different instrumentation. Really just something as simple as passing the melody off between a few instruments can be enough to make something not sound repetitive even if it is. It gives the illusion of change. This example isn't quite applicable to your piece but I think it illustrates my point well enough if you just listen and realize that even though there's several changes to different instruments, it's all ultimately playing the same melody, with differences towards the end of the phrase.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well. I'll reread this after I wake up and see if I can clarify.

I'm starting to wonder if the steady nature of the hi hat in the main section is counteracting the somewhat wobbly nature of the melody and... left hand part and detracting from the groove. Hmmm.

There's lots of different ways to do the hi-hat there. What you have works and I like it but a lot of times when you have something with a complex melody the percussion doubles it, so that may work too.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:00:54 AM by haloOfTheSun »
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102
I like when guitar melodies have quick doodily doos and twingy twangoes mixed in like this so that's what I was going for.

I think I've done the instrument switching better in the past. This time around I just tried layering in a banjo which sounds similar to a guitar anyway, and I don't think it worked out too well.

Thanks for all the advice and insight. I really appreciate it.