RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What are you reading?

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
Well I love reading. I mean seriously love it. I'm one of those people you see who stands over the stove with a spoon stirring in one hand and a book in the other lol  And besides, I'm a homemaker. And while I try to stay pretty busy, I also have a lot of down time xD  And it's either read or watch TV/surf the net.   I think reading is the better of those options. But come on Ronald, YOU CAN DO EET!

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
Well I just joined a group of other youth guys and gals trying to read more. We'll see how that goes. I've got two on my list for February.

Galatians for you by Tim Keller
And
Decisive. I forget the author but it's a leadership book.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
Just gonna start a list here of what I've read.  Rather than update this thread when I start a new book. How is it you guys can make me feel guilty about the amount of reading I do? lol :mad:
I'll start with those 16, since that's what I am working on right now.

1. Labor Day by Joyce Maynard
A love story, of sorts.  A boy and his mom live on their own after divorce that basically turned his mom into a recluse. She rarely goes out, and when she absolutely has to. On one of their rare trips out a man talks to the son and asks if they can give him a ride. Back to their house.  Honestly this whole woman meets man and falls immediately in love story seems overplayed to me. So that part I was like whatever~ But the book feeds you tidbits throughout about the divorce.  What caused it, the mom's mental state throughout various points of the boys life. And that is what really kept me reading. I have an insane curious streak. And I just had to know. I'm not sure I would have continued reading if it hadn't been for that. Overall though I enjoyed it.
2. The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel and Bret Witter
3. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Read it (sort of), don't waste your time. One of the blurbs on the cover said "The heir to the Twilight Throne" and that it may surely be. By the time I finished the third chapter I "knew" who the villan was going to be. I had already pegged a relationship between two other characters within the first 3 pages.  I honestly couldn't bear to read this whole book, it was boring me to tears. So I skimmed through to the last few chapters and read those. Lo and behold what I knew in the first few chapters held up and was true till the end. I would rather have been wrong, then I would have went back and read the book. 
4. Winter’s Tale by Mark Helprin
5. A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
6. Divergent by Veronica Roth
I really enjoyed this book. I read it almost straight through because I just could not put it down.  Beatrice's dystopian Chicago world is divided into five factions: Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless - Beatrice's faction, for now), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On their 16th birthday all citizens choose their faction, and that is where the story begins. The book focus' on Beatrice and the decisions she makes, each one guiding the story in a new direction.
7. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
8. The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais
9. The Giver by Lois Lowry
I actually enjoyed it. It's set in a futuristic society where sameness is highly valued. Nothing and no one is different, until they are (dundundun)  There was a bit of a twist ending but honestly it  pissed me off and left me wanting more. So much so that I went online to see if this book was part of a series. I found out that it was, sort of. There is a set of four books, each set in this same society, but each starring a different character. I was not amused :mad: 
10. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
11. This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper
12. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
13. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Really good book. I am interested to see how this plays out on film since so much of it is just thoughts in the book. Should be interesting.  I don't want to say too much about it because I'm afraid I'll give away the story.  So the summary from the website may help decide if it would interest you or not.
14. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Oh my goodness, what to say about this one. I would read it again. And again and again. The storytelling is so awesome it sucked me right in. I felt like I was in the POW camp suffering right along with the men. I'm also interested to see how well they do turning this into a movie.  Especially since Angelina Jolie is directing it.. I just don't know about that...
15. Wild by Cheryl Strayed
This one was really hard for me to get through. Not because it's a bad story. But it's the story of a woman whose mother dies of lung cancer. And her whole world falls apart.  I guess I related to her a bit. Though she handled it totally different from me.
16. Serena by Ron Rash

I was really surprised when I made my requests for these various books at the library how many of these were Young Adult books.  I'll read them either way, I just found that interesting.

Divergent and Winter's Tale are waiting for me at the library now :) 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:11:22 PM by Baroness Jules »

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
So I'm trying to finish like...one book.

You make me feel guilty about what I haven't read Jules!

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
Don't feel too guilty, The Giver was a really short book. And most of these are quick easy reads. Plus I have a lot of time on my hands lol  :ladyj:

Rep:
Level 41
Bronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer
Irredeemable by Mark Waid.

Really good!

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
Just popping in to say I started Divergent last night and OH MY GOSH. It is so good!  I'm more than halfway through the book already. I can't put it down.  Between Irocks game and this book I have accomplished all of nothing in the last 24 hours. 

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
My daughter is reading that series. She feels the same way; all I hear about anymore is the book!

I'm re-reading James Clavell's Shogun. 1/8 thru book one...
:tinysmile:

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I started reading Winter's Tale about a week ago and wow.  I have enjoyed reading these other books, I really have. But they've been about as entrancing as.. well I can't think of a good example lol   This book.... Man..  Helprin knows exactly how to make the words come alive and teleport you to New York in early 20th century.  I'm not even a third of the way through the book but I'm already in love with it. If you really want to read a meat and potatoes book and enjoy it, I highly recommend this one.