RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Starting Event in rpg maker 2003

Rep: +0/-0Level 52
RMRK Junior
Ok, so I want to know how to trigger an event (just a few lines of dialogue would be fine) that happens as soon as the game starts. Some thing like:

Voice offscreen: Hey, you! Over here!

What would be the best way to do this?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
I was about to go into a detailed ramble about how to do it smoothly, but I think simpler will probably be better for you to learn by.

What you're gonna want to do is set the trigger condition of your event to Auto-Start so that it automatically plays the event. This will also loop the event though, so to close it, you need to do one of two things. Either use the Erase Event command after your dialogue (this will not permanently erase the event though, the event will reset if you leave the map and come back), or use the Switch Operations command to turn on a select switch. If you use the switch method, be sure to click the New Page button up top with the selected switch as a precondition and no trigger condition.

Rep: +0/-0Level 52
RMRK Junior
Thanks for the quick response!
I thought that it would use switches, but I was confused because there seemed to be no way to set it to "switch off" as a precondition.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Yeah, you have to do that manually. New page with the switch as a precondition but running no commands, works almost the same.