RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Splash Title, (Back to Scripting for Me)

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
I have recently been working on a platformer game in SDL_OPENGL/C++ with a fellow classmate which has managed to drain a good majority of my time just to get it working nicely; it was an assignment for school which was handed in on Friday. I wasn't happy with the submission I gave and told the teacher that I planned on properly finishing this over the holidays (Australia is about to have their own Summer break), he was quite ecstatic about that, letting me know that if I gave him the finished version when I came back to school for 2nd year, he could show the 1st year students when it comes to this assignment 'what can be made in the time frame' & 'what can be done if you had more time'... sort of like saying "Don't expect too much in your game in the allocated time you have".
I have been working on it everyday for the past five weeks and I need a break from it, just for this week at least; so I'm back to Ruby for now.
The classmate didn't do much of the coding, due to illness and figures since 95% of the game is my code anyway, I may as well just finish it solo :( they did promise to use my level editor to build some levels for me though, I'm terrible at mapping at both RPG Maker and this, so I'm glad to hear that.

I guess my question is, would anyone be interested in seeing the source code, or even the game once it's properly completed?

Spoiler for First some screenshots:
Spoiler for Character Selection Screen:

Spoiler for GamePlay Preview:

Alright but enough of that, this is a script I was creating before the above incident; it is called Splash Title because it only activates when you first load the game, if you return to th title screen using the in-game menu or event (ie your previous scene was not nil), your regular title screen will be displayed.

In this script you can make effects on your title screen, use animated sprites (must be seperated first since I don't know how to actually load and iterate an animated picture), splash images, make plane sprites (such as stars falling down the screen then appearing back on top), use weather effects, other things.
The main issue is that it is in no way non-scripter friendly, and even if you are a scripter you may not like the design (I did make it for me after all).

The script is too long to post in a codebox and I'd rather you see a demo of it in action, the script is over 1000 lines in code, I don't expect anyone to read all of it, I'm more looking at any tips I can get in regards to the design, if you can understand it, and if you think it's a good idea.
I also don't remember if I completed all the core coding for this, it's been awhile), the demo also doesn't fully show what it does since I didn't have the time to make a proper decent SplashTitle when I was actually making this script. :(

All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

Rep:
Level 82
I'd be pretty interested to see the code for that OpenGL/C++ project. I can see it being useful in some way for studying.

As for your SplashTitle: the concept is good, since some people do want to make their opening a little more personalised. I can see where the usability issue comes in. I was curious as to what the whens were in the customise script, and then I worked it out when I read it closer.

It's definitely quite specific, to figure out exactly which frame you want a certain thing to happen.

What would be nice is if the movie player that's used in RMVXA would allow for formats that are a bit more used than OggTheora. I'd find it a lot easier to create a movie that does everything you want and then have a script which plays that before the title screen comes up.

The problems arises from the fact that you are relying on the user being able to pinpoint the frames, and probably spend some time playing with numbers which could get very tedious quickly. One of the main reasons why people like to use scripts is because they're lazy. We do the work so they don't have to, at least not as much anyway. Here, they'll have to first understand what's going on, then tweak values, then rerun the game, then watch and hope they know what they are looking for, then go back and tweak some more, then rerun the game and you get the just. So you're already losing that battle.

What comes to my mind, is MA's Scene_Tutorial script. Mostly because I'm porting it to VXAce at the minute and its quite fresh in my mind.

In that, the user makes a common event that uses built in commands (to VX/VXA) that are then interpreted in a slightly different way to normal to simulate a kind of video tutorial for a menu or some other system. And I think that's great, because the user is using a familiar interface to do a completely different task. Sure, it requires some learning to use but what good system doesn't. What they don't have to do is play around in the scripts, which is something you really want to avoid as much as possible.

Whilst it really is a crap thing to consider when you've got a script which already does so much, it might be worth taking another look at the concept and the design process and see whether something like Scene_Tutorial can assist in making it more user friendly. Seeing as, for the most part, it's about loading and moving images and playing certain sound effects and music, you might be able to mix in some established functions like Show Picture, Move Picture, Play Sound etc and then run that Common Event before the title screen appears. A few added Script functions that can be called could do the additional jazz that the VXA platform can't do (or can't do easily for the user).

I know that doesn't help with your direct issue, but sometimes a different design perspective can make the problem a little easier to handle (even though that might result in additional time investments).
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
Thanks Logan :) I didn't really like the idea of having people go directly into a script either.
Since that script is a little old anyway, I don't think I still want to continue working and building on it; so renewing it into a special map may make it much simpler and then I can still use the script to skip to specified points, change weather & colour and whatnot. Seems like the best idea is to just rebuild it, I'll have to give it a shot :yuyu:

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
Me like!! It's been a while since I've last played a platform game like that :D
Looking good though ;)

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
Me appreciates the compliment 8)

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
Did you get the sprites of the rotating trees from porky pig's haunted holiday?

Rep: +0/-0Level 11
RMRK Junior
Нужен партнер для общения?
Тогда наш портал для вас.
Сайт сексуальных знакомтсв