RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Pipe Dream for a Project

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
A friend of mine said to me "you should just make your own game!" Now I'm kind of considering it.

Here's an idea I just had.

An iOS title that's Fl0w + Ikaruga (but not as hard) + Bloom.

You control a ... thing ... like you do in fl0w, pushing a button on the screen to move to the right, and tilting the iPod/Phone/Pad to move up and down. You have to go through gates, and avoid obstacles. And you get weapons, should the obstacles become a little too hairy.

But, of course, it's a music game.

As you go through gates, the difficulty level increases (like, every 10 or so gates). Each new difficulty level introduces a new layer to the music.

Very Basic Example:
Difficulty Level 1: just drums
Difficulty Level 2: guitars fade in
Difficulty Level 3: some other instrument fades in

So you start out with just a bit of music, and you end up with a full piece of music.

The gates start out large, and get smaller. Depending on where you enter the gate (high or low) a tone will sound, either high or low in pitch. Maybe the pitches you end up with could be remembered, and come back every so often throughout the game, creating an overarching melody that gets logner and longer. I want an element of user-generated creativity in this game.

Getting near obstacles will fade a "danger" sound in and out, and this sound will mesh with the music of the level.

Getting hit could warp the music, make it more dissonant, until you stay away from obstacles for a while, entering enough gates. Continue to get hit, the music gets more and more dissonant, and then you die (?).

Weapons are also musical.
Bullet type: Pure sine tones, like in Bloom. Tap the screen. High or low on the screen = different pitches.
Bomb type: Big ass wagner orchestral bass drum sound.
Laser type: Fluttering strings.
Etc.

And maybe there could be a boss at the end of each level, with his own musical contribution.

So, has this been done to death? I don't really play many iOS games, so I'm not sure.

Also; don't steal this, or I will find you, and I will kill you.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
tilt controls just aren't very good generally, so it could end up being way too difficult to actually play. cool idea though

Rep:
Level 96
Also, LOL how the hell would I even make something like this!? 

Rep:
Level 96
tilt controls just aren't very good generally, so it could end up being way too difficult to actually play. cool idea though
That's true, but I generally don't want this game to even be that difficult. I want it to mostly be about the music, and the creative element the player can add to it.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
the main thing is tilt controls need two things

1. a fairly large deadzone in the middle so you aren't accidentally moving either direction so every move is deliberate. but not such a large deadzone that you're craning your wrists to get it to do anything.

2. A way to reset that deadzone so it's center point is however the device is currently being held. you can't assume everyone is playing it in the same seated position. some games on smart devices shit the bed when you lay on your back and try to use tilt controls because it's assuming you're holding the phone(or tablet) in front of you while standing or sitting.

now that i think about it, skyward sword for the wii does both of these, with out it the game would be horrifying to play any way other than standing in an empty room.

Rep:
Level 96
Good advice! Thanks.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
2. A way to reset that deadzone so it's center point is however the device is currently being held. you can't assume everyone is playing it in the same seated position. some games on smart devices shit the bed when you lay on your back and try to use tilt controls because it's assuming you're holding the phone(or tablet) in front of you while standing or sitting.
Ya, "Tilt to Live" had this

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
i like it. i don't think i've seen anything quite like this, and it certainly hasn't been done to death.
i like how that user-generated melody is a really interesting game mechanic, but you're planning on doing it quite subtly. that's great stuff right there.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Stencyl has iOS support, along with accelerometer control. It's not too hard to get started with if you want to give it a shot. Most of the mechanics you've described sound like basic action-platformer stuff and shouldn't be that hard to implement.

Rep:
Level 96
So I haven't made much progress on this, but I DID make THIS: http://ryanleber.com/content/AdaptiveDemos.swf

lol, I put it up on my website as a demo for the adaptive music stuff I can do.

I'm trying to throw together a really simple "sneak past enemies without getting caught" example, but I can't find any good top-down sprites to use.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
If it says anything, I would buy this. If you do this I request a Windows port :P lol for cheapo's like me lol.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."