RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RM2K] Error: Invalid Event Name

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
RMRK Junior
Alright, my current project has come to a screeching halt due to this error when testing my game. It doesn't give a line or details of any kind, just "Invalid Event Name" and crashes. The area in question is small and simple so far, and here are the event names I'm using:

char1
char2
char4
cell1
cell2
cell3
cell4
guardpatrol1
computer
securitydoor
tothedisplay (in common events)

I've already removed the spaces from all the names that had them, and changed the default event names to prevent possible duplicates, thinking that might be what's causing the problem, but no luck. So what makes an event name invalid? What might I be missing?

© 2012 chapman productions inc
Rep:
Level 55
=O
maybe a video or picture to help?

RMRK Junior
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/80990655/rpgerror.PNG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/80990655/rpgerror2.PNG

Like this? A quick note about the first image. I changed "Security Door" to "SecurityDoor" thinking spaces were the problem.

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
Make a copy of the level and delete events one by one until you find the offending event.

RMRK Junior
Well I didn't have to delete any, I guess. I set the start position to the copy map, and it worked fine without crashing, then I tried starting on the original map, and it worked fine too. The problem seems to only occur when the common event "tothedisplay" teleports me into it. I took a snapshot of the script for that event, and the event that activates it. I've tried changing the name of the event to "display" thinking it was just too long, but that didn't work.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/80990655/rpgerror3.PNG

There's another issue that may or may not be unrelated, where the screen erases and displays again once before the teleport, and again during the teleport.

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
You can't call the event directly? Can I see the three(?) pages of event commands?

Also, just out of morbid offtopic curiosity, what's the Terrain tab for?
Hero = Actors
Skills = Skills
Items = Items, Weapons & Armors
Monsters = Enemies
Monster party = Troops
Attributes = Classes?
Conditions = States
Battle Animation = Animations
ChipSets = Tilesets
Vocabulary = Terms

EDIT: Also, is "Erase Screen" just a fadeout? Would it be like the Fadeout feature in later RM versions?

Also, What are the multidisc(and two right of it), three square-with-cursor and "Title" buttons on the toolbar in the first screenshot?

EDIT2: It could be looking for the event that called the common event. The trigger is event 11, and there are only 10 events on the destination map. That's my best thought so far...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 05:23:46 AM by Wiimeiser »

RMRK Junior
I've never really had any luck getting call event to work correctly, so I just use switches to call them. What do you mean by 3 pages of event commands?

Terrain tab is for battle background.

The default erase screen is like a tunnel thingie. The teleport command automatically erases and redisplays the screen on its own, but usually when I erase the screen before the teleport, I can place other commands, like facing the hero a certain direction before displaying the screen again. In this case, for some reason, it erases, then displays even though there is no display command, faces the hero down, then erases again and teleports. I can't really compare it to other RM programs because I couldn't get the more commonly used one to work for me, and I had some experience with RM2K anyway, so I just grabbed that.

The menu items starting from the disks, make an exe, save changes, undo changes, lower layer, upper layer, event layer, the next 4 are zoom levels, database, import/export, music, test play, test in full screen, show title menu in test play, and help.

Event 11 is from the "Stock" map
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/80990655/rpgerror4.PNG
Sorry about the blank white area on that image. Was too lazy to fix it and upload again.

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
Three pages of event commands - when you're selecting commands from the list.

Try setting Tothedisplay to Autorun and delete the switch event in the call event afterward. If you absolutely must turn that switch off, place an autorun event on the destination map and have it do that. If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas...

RMRK Junior
Wha.. I love you for this! ^_^ All I did was change the event to auto start instead of parallel process, and it worked! The double screen erase is gone too! I don't get it, but it works! My project lives! ^_^ Thankies!