RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
the engines

© 2012 chapman productions inc
Rep:
Level 55
=O
My opinion of the three engines.

In my opinion, I love all the game makers the same they all have there ups and downs. I own all of them but VX Ace although my brother owns it. I like 1K and 2K3 for there older like style, I love XP for the mapping style, and VX I love for general usage, everything about VX seems to me accelerated. What brings this on is, I was sitting with my brother today and we was talking about it. an i was talking ot someone through PM and we was also reminiscing about the older engines and I was looking up scripts a while back and it seems VX is already going outa date ??? it was like yesterday it was just here... Time flies..

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
From a mapping perspective I love XP, I still can't quite make the jump though, old habbits die hard XD

© 2012 chapman productions inc
Rep:
Level 55
=O
lol, agreed.

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
I'm stuck on the VX engine, though my sis loves to bug around in Ace already!!
Can't say Ace is better... It's pretty much a combo of the three previous ones.

I like VX for it's easy use. Tough, yeah, more tilesets in Ace! But then again, more scripts for VX all around the globe...

I will stick to VX untill they bring out a new maker, a real NEW maker, not a combine maker :P

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Junior
A lot of the scripts that were released for VX were most likely released prior to the announcement of Ace, and could be forward compatible.  Others might only need minor changes for compatability.  Some are going to be hopelessly lost in versionland.

Point is, dont count out all the VX scripts out there as being completely incompatible with Ace until they are tried.
Heretic's Vehicles XP (Boat and Magic Carpet)

Heretic's Collection XP Ver 2.3 - Updated to include Dynamic Lighting, Moving Platforms, Vehicles, and much much more!

Rep:
Level 87
my favorite will always be 2k3... even though like three of the six stats are kind of broken, it has the most heart and is closest to pure rpg feeling in my opinion.

I'm not fond of the overly polished graphics of the newer makers, they don't even look all that 'better' to me. and yeah you can do a lot more stuff but i also can't bring myself to care either.

it's one of those things where you have to use what works best for you, etc.

Rep:
Level 82
I'm stuck on the VX engine, though my sis loves to bug around in Ace already!!
Can't say Ace is better... It's pretty much a combo of the three previous ones.

I like VX for it's easy use. Tough, yeah, more tilesets in Ace! But then again, more scripts for VX all around the globe...

I will stick to VX untill they bring out a new maker, a real NEW maker, not a combine maker :P

A lack of resources is inevitable with a new maker (though VXAce has been out for a good while now that resources are greater than they were to start with). VX was the same, and XP before that.

For me, VXAce is nicer to work with, but I'm a scripter/programmer so the updated base (both in the code and the options available) is preferred.

Mapping-wise, I prefer parallax backgrounds so the default mapping option is almost irrelevant. Unless you build a lot of the map resources yourself for use with a tile based system, but I think creating a parallax is far easier and time efficient than making individual tiles for specific purposes.

I must say I did enjoy 2k3. I made (read: started and failed to finish) a lot of crappy games for that, but I spent a lot of time with it. Eventing with it was also incredibly fun, and there were a few good games made with that engine.

But from a programmer point of view, VX Ace is a big improvement over VX, and whilst XP has a few nice charms, I could never work with the script editor too well. Everything was all over the place and in badly named places. That, and I didn't like the default sprites in XP. Their tallness is creepy.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)