RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Ideas for Projects?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
So I need to actually start doing things that help me gain experience for my potential career so I need some ideas for projects because everyone says contributing to the open source community is a great way to do stuff.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for projects or a place I could look for ideas where I could try to do something in Java. Even if concepts and things are out of my current level, it'd be worth looking into things in order to learn more and expand my knowledge.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I have this music-centered idea. You know how songs have verses, and choruses, and bridges? In other words, sections? Well in some video games (ex: Ocarina of Time) the soundtrack is composed of multiple section (in OoT's case, 11-12) and they are chosen at random. They all work with one another, and it allows the music to be endless without being completely repetitive.

Let's say the segments are each about 8 seconds of music, and labeled A-J.
First playthrough, it could pan out like this: A B A D F E A G A B
Second time, it could pan out like this: A F A D H G B C E J
And so on.

Then there's another technique, called adaptive music, where there are layers to the track, and depending on a certain variable (ex: threat level) more instruments fade in.
Here's an example I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFpTqvaIJQ
Games like Mass Effect and Lost Planet use this.

Here's my idea: combine the two. Layered music that's endless, because it's comprised of 10+ segments that are chosen at random. Or NOT so at random? Maybe certain segments will only play based on certain criteria? Like low health lets the more tense segments play, or getting to a certain point in the level allows other segments to play.

Using this kind of technique, you could score an entire level of play, including exploration, minor battles, cutscenes, and a final boss battle ... with ONE "track," a track that adjusts depending on how fast the player moves through the level. A track that reserves segments of music for key moments, and adds layers or intensity when enemies are around (or you're dying).

I would make a demonstration of this myself, in some kind of game format, but ... hell, I don't know how to use any game making software (well).

What do YOU think?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:47:30 PM by Arlen »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
If I were to make a game to demonstrate this myself, it would be full of stars and colors.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Hmmmmm... So basically I would need to have a file of each instrument for each segment, and given values for certain variables (that would be up to game developers and the people actually working with the game), the instruments would come in once the variables reach a certain level.

From the way I can think about doing it, it sounds pretty easy to do, but it just seems like it'd be a lot more work on the part of game devs to accommodate this kind of system to make sure they check this variable and more work on the part of the composer to individually create music files for each segment for each instrument. Of course, those are problems inherent to the way I think this could be done and not necessarily the system.

BUT, it seems like this is worth trying ;8 It would at least give me something to do and try out.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I can't really help (even possible via PHP somehow? lol) but arlen's idea is great.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
If you haven't played Flower, you should. Very interesting and beautiful musical game.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I think you clicked on the wrong topic LOL arl~

Rep:
Level 96
It could go in the "what PS3 games should I play" thread, too, but I posted it here because of the whole "musical game" discussion.

Since you said you were looking for inspiration.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
o I thought you were confused. I'd look into it, but I don't own a PS3. :c

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
I have this music-centered idea. You know how songs have verses, and choruses, and bridges? In other words, sections? Well in some video games (ex: Ocarina of Time) the soundtrack is composed of multiple section (in OoT's case, 11-12) and they are chosen at random. They all work with one another, and it allows the music to be endless without being completely repetitive.
Then there's another technique, called adaptive music, where there are layers to the track, and depending on a certain variable (ex: threat level) more instruments fade in.
Here's an example I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFpTqvaIJQ
Games like Mass Effect and Lost Planet use this.
Here's my idea: combine the two. Layered music that's endless, because it's comprised of 10+ segments that are chosen at random. Or NOT so at random? Maybe certain segments will only play based on certain criteria? Like low health lets the more tense segments play, or getting to a certain point in the level allows other segments to play.
Using this kind of technique, you could score an entire level of play, including exploration, minor battles, cutscenes, and a final boss battle ... with ONE "track," a track that adjusts depending on how fast the player moves through the level. A track that reserves segments of music for key moments, and adds layers or intensity when enemies are around (or you're dying).
So like Banjo-Kazooie in other words?

© 2012 chapman productions inc
Rep:
Level 55
=O
I would just make a game.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Yeah, me working on stuff like this is probably going to happen on my breaks, though @_@ I'm just trying to scrap together as many ideas as I can to try out/work on during breaks so I can be productive instead of lounging around. School work's the priority :l

You pie feeders!
Rep:
Level 68
Everyone... Actually Everyone hates me :)
2012 Biggest Drama Whore
A topic of mine

That topic is something i started just for this reason, feel free to take any ideas you want, or if they spark, make one of your own.
Final Statement: I chowder5lock am a dipshit and MA is a pretty cool dude.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
:facepalm:
Half of those things are just things you thought were cool. You can't pass off someone else's work as your own idea.

@Moo, I don't know what your level of programming knowledge is, but maybe you could make a simple puzzle game? Something where you don't have to worry too much about fancy graphics or story so you can focus in on programming the aspects of it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:56:38 PM by Acolyte »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I mean, my focus is not gaming related and more on making things that would be practical and usable. I guess a puzzle game would be something I could add to my list of things to try to make.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
THAT is exactly what I needed (at least from first glimpse). o: Thank you very much!