RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] ATS: Message Options 1.0.7

Rep:
Level 57
RMRK Junior
Hello,

I've found a bug with your script.
It happens only when I using a pop up script.
There isn't any problem with the name plate when I talk for the first time to an NPC.
The bug happen when I spoke many time to the same npc.
The name plate just move around.

Edit : it wasn't Yami message pop up script fault.

Example of my bug
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:41:18 AM by Chaos17 »

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
'ATS' line 1019: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method `>=' for nil:NilClass

The error I'm getting when I try to activate a text box with this script.  I'm using the script calls directly from the demo to make sure there's no problem, but it just comes up with this regardless, whether or not it has script calls or not.

I should note, since it seems relevant, that this only happens when I "Continue Game".  When starting a new game everything works just peachy, but I can't work with that with the style of project I'm working on right now.

If you have any idea how to fix this, that'd be fantastic; I'll keep trying myself as well~

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, it would seem that it is happening because $game_message.show_on_character_id has been set to nil. That should never happen by default in the script. Is it possible that you did it in one of your script calls? Ie. did you do something like:

Code: [Select]
ats_next(:show_on_character_id, nil)

If so, that's the problem and you need to delete that line.

If not, I will need to see a demo with the error recreated, since it doesn't happen to me.

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
A demo may be a problem; the error doesn't occur when I "New Game" the project.  It only seems to occur when I activate a text window in a game that I've "Continue"'d from.  I could send you over a copy of teh full game along with the .save file, but I'm not sure if that will help.
I haven't used that code line at all, I hadn't even begun to start implementing the script calls yet; all I had done was put in the scrolling text script above a single text message and got the errors when I began testing it.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Oh, well if you mean that you are getting the error when you load a save file from before the script was installed, then yeah, that error makes sense. I thought you meant just any old time you continue.

Anyway, yeah, the script doesn't work with games saved before you added the script to your game. If you want to keep that save file, then put the following in an event you run immediately after loading:

$game_ats.reset
$game_message.clear

After that, see if the error clears up. If so, save the game and you can then remove that event since you won't need it anymore.

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
Juicy fix there modern; glad it could be so easily solved :)

Aye, I should have clarified more in my first post.  The project I'm working on is being updated MMO style, and didn't want to put in a script that causes a crash for anyone who already has a save file.

But I did want to use this script over Yanfly's; I like yours more :)

Rep:
Level 57
RMRK Junior
Hi,

It's me again.
I would like to know if you can give me any advice of keywords that I could use to find the script wich conflict with your script, please ? I tested your script in a new project with Yami script and there isn't any bug.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:50:12 AM by Chaos17 »

Rep:
Level 97
I don't know that there's really any keywords. I mean, it would likely be a script which changes the x and y position of the message window, so maybe you could search for ".x", but that would return a lot of false positives.

Maybe just recreate the error in a new project and share it with me. Then I could take a look.

Rep:
Level 57
RMRK Junior
Maybe just recreate the error in a new project and share it with me. Then I could take a look.
That's the problem, I can't reproduce it in a new project and I did paste all the scripts related to "text" but there isn't any bug... That's why I am trying to find which is the culprit.  :holk:

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
That's the problem, I can't reproduce it in a new project and I did paste all the scripts related to "text" but there isn't any bug... That's why I am trying to find which is the culprit.  :holk:

Although text related scripts are the obvious ones to check, don't forget to compare it with all your scripts.  There can be connections that make no sense at first.
Hell, Victor Sants moving platform script completely interferes with his tech points script; they have absolutely nothing in common in any gameplay setting, but they still interact in scripting terms...somehow.

If you have a problem you can't recreate with the obvious ones, don't automatically pass off the others.  S'worth checking~

Rep:
Level 97
Well, if you need to, you can share the full project and I can take a look. If you do that though, set it up so that I can start a new game and test the error immediately.

Rep: +0/-0Level 65
RMRK Junior
Hi Modern, i'm using this script in my project, and i've noticed that when you create a message window with the scroll
page function, the face in it scrolls with the text instead of stand still...
It's a changeable feature or simply a bug?

Rep:
Level 97
Sorry, at this time that's kind of a bug. I had intended for my Face Options script to be released shortly after that one, and it will fix that by moving the face outside of the message window. However, I've been delinquent and have not finished that script yet.

For now, scrolling should not be used when you are showing a face, unless you're OK with it scrolling away.

Rep:
Level 84
I've suggested this before right at the release of this script and you said that the feature I requested wasn't in your list of liked features. But hey, maybe you've had a change of heart. The feature that I really enjoyed and wish this script had is the ability to add the speech bubble arrows to the bottom of the message box. Rather than just have a box above a character, make it look like a speech  bubble. Is that an easy make? It was a feature that the RMVX version of the script had.

But if you don't want to make it, then I'll deal with what this script already has (a plethora of features) and stop complaining (even though I'm really not meaning to complain).

Rep: +0/-0Level 40
Roadrunner for Lightning and Strike Detonator
I really like your script's! I use one of them and would be interested in using your ATS Series, too.
But I must admit, that the options to use a speech bubble would be perfect because it's indeed hard to distinguish who is speaking if both NPC's or a Player is standing right besides the talking NPC.

If it's not hard to make I really would appreciate it. ^^

I really love your Scripts (I think I'm repeating myself! :D)

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RMRK Junior
Is this script not allowing SHIFT pressing? The SHIFT button seems to be useless with this script installed. Am I doing something wrong?

Rep: +0/-0Level 51
RMRK Junior
What about/ how would I go about doing a random sound effect between an array of given ones, to simulate gibberish talking (like in Okami or Animal Crossing)?
Like ats_next(:letter_se, ["deep1_may", "deep1_so", "deep1_baw", "deep1_un", "deep1_le", "deep1_ben", "deep1_mal"])
or say there's a subfolder for the random voice effects in a folder known as "Voices", "Deep1", where you keep each random noise?
That way, you can have talking and give a feel for a character's voice without having to do a bunch of voice acting.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:18:22 PM by rubydragon44 »

Rep: +0/-0Level 37
RMRK Junior
Vato!! gracias de verdad por postear este genial script! Soy muy nuevo en esto del RPGM y todavia no se mucho de ruby y se me estaba complicando encontrar un script que mostrarĂ¡ el nombre del personaje. Muchos de los scripts que encontre tenian bugs que se activaban justamente en los puntos buenos del juego. Ya estoy implementando tu script y hasta ahora nada malo ni bugs! :D

Rep:
Level 97
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that.

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RMRK Junior
Hi Modern Algebra,
I love all your scripts and (nearly) use all of them in my project!  ;D
However I encounter a bug which is the same as the one Chaos17 mentioned before. When using Yami Pop Up Message and ATS Message Options, the name box change position once it has been activated once.

I don't know if the problem lies in the pop up script or your script.

I tried reproducing the bug. Please see attached.
I'll be really grateful if you can help me with this problem, thank you!  :tinysmile:

Rep: +0/-0Level 33
RMRK Junior
Hi,

I am using this script for many of the functions it provides - positioning and size.

However, I am unable to change the background of my messagebox using the message_dim_bg: variable. I am just setting it to the filename of my .png image that I have stored in Graphics/System (in both my project and application directory just to be sure - and it is listed under resources in resource manager).

I still get the standard "bluish filled color" background.

I have also tried setting it via scripting with:
ats_all(:message_dim_bg, "ada")
but without any change.

I AM supposed to be able to replace the background with an image of my own, right?
Or have I misunderstood something?

/T

Rep:
Level 97
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

That option only replaces the normal window when the message itself is set to show a dim background. When you are creating a message through the event editor, you should see a drop-down menu right below the message field that says Background. Change it from "Normal Window" to "Dim Background", and then you should be able to see the image you selected.

If you are doing that and the error is still happening, let me know. I am glad that you otherwise like the script.

Rep: +0/-0Level 32
RMRK Junior
Hey Modern! :D I was just curious about something and I was hoping you'd have an answer. I know you can just type a name into a name box, but say for example you let the player give their player a custom name. Would it be possible to put a custom name into the name box? I love your scripts, by the way! I've even replaced other people's scripts in favor of yours! :P

Rep:
Level 97
Glad to hear it Mr. Taxi Demon. Yes, wherever you put the following code in the message, it will be replaced by the name of an actor with the ID in the brackets:

\n[ID]

So, for instance, if you put \n[4], then that will instead print the name of Actor 4.

Rep: +0/-0Level 33
RMRK Junior
Esteemed overlord MA, I discovered this script a few days ago and promptly fell in love with it. It's so convenient it makes me angry. Angry, I say. >:C
I switched over from Yanfly's Message System, which didn't include some of the features I needed. Yours does. However, yours isn't compatible with the nifty Face Macro snippet by Fomar, or at least I can't get them to play along nicely. Are you planning on working on something similar? There doesn't seem to be an alternative to it anywhere.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:48:42 PM by Danstandard »