RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP]Miserere

pokeball OwlOffline
Rep:
Level 73
RMRK Junior
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)

Miserere is as of 07/07/2012 completed

Short story introduction
In Miserere you explore the dreams of a lonely space station occupant.
The unnamed occupant have been on this station for years, all alone.
Needless to say, this has taken its toll on our poor protagonists mind. This occasionally shows in the dreams.
But there are still glimmers of hope.

Main character

Gameplay
The game relies heavily on atmosphere and mood to keep the player interested.
You explore the mind of our protagonist via 4 possible pathways, which branch out, when you enter the dreamworld.
The main focus lies in exploration and uncovering the past of the protagonist.
There are a few puzzles among the way, which are usually not too hard.

Screenshots
Next, the thing which probably will decide if you, the one reading this, will be playing it.
Spoiler for:

The nexus, from here you can go in 4 directions and start exploring.

A old building, which leaks from the roof and walls during rainstorms.

Quite the crowd.

A snowy mountain.

Aliens.

Download for v1.02 (Final): http://www.mediafire.com/download/4688vju6254y2j6/Miserere_v1.02x.zip
Changelog: http://www.mediafire.com/view/mnbhsglo35bdn1p/Changelog_1.02.txt

Credits:
Uboachan.net for lots of help playtesting and offering opinions.
Thanks to Papasan96 for proofreading.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:29:40 PM by Owl »

pokeball OwlOffline
Rep:
Level 73
RMRK Junior
Final release of Miserere done. No new content will be released, ever. Bugs should be gone, mostly.
Download in main post.

Rep:
Level 59
Practice makes Petrucci!
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Gold - GIAW 11 (Normal)
This looks really interesting. At the moment, I think I'll download and make a little log of my thoughts.

The mapping in the majority of the areas isn't mindblowing, but in each of the maps, it's about what's weird and different that's eyecatching. Honestly, with each area I've entered, I say to myself, "What..?". But that's a good thing, for now I think anyway. Though they're not spectacularly detailed or anything like that, they're still eyecatching in a weird way.

This is a really interesting idea, and it's totally the sort of thing I'm into. But I've been playing it for 40 minutes, and have literally done nothing to further the story it seems. There's a ton of places to go. Each place leads me to somewhere new and interesting, but with no particular direction to go, it can seem a little frustrating. But perhaps at the beginning, it's best to simply wander till you find what needs to be done, so you can have an idea of where everything is... I hope that's how it works anyway.
I'm definitely not going to be able to get through this in one night in seems, but I'm definitely drawn in. The graphics and atmosphere, the music, it's all pretty captivating, but at the same time, I can immediately think of plenty of reasons why people wouldn't like it.

I'm going to keep playing through and give my thoughts, hopefully a little less scattered. I guess I'll wait until I've finished to give my proper opinion, but seeing as no one else had posted, I felt as though I had to comment to show that someone was playing the game :) You've definitely put a lot of work into this by the looks of things, and it's great for me personally so far.

Edit:

Just to add, as I end this session, this is freaking weird.
I have a few items, but still no certain place to be, areas to use these items. It's getting to be a little more frustrating that I'd originally thought, but I'll continue to plough onward, for the sake of my gaming integrity!
Looks like there's still plenty of areas to explore, so I'll keep searching, but as of now, my main criticism is: Where the heck do I go!?

Otherwise, this is a really cool atmospheric and stylistic game.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 05:15:27 AM by cloudfall »
"Pursue happiness with diligence."

http://soundcloud.com/progfox

pokeball OwlOffline
Rep:
Level 73
RMRK Junior
Jammed Gears on youtube ported Miserere to Mac!
Check it out here (download link in description);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXLnT1udbvo