RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Privacy Invasion

pokeball JAPOfflineFemale
I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
Hey, I know it has been long since I last appear. But anyway, I have been talking to a friend whose FaceBook got hacked and it has caused her trouble. Actually it was a simple thing, she left her FaceBook open on her browser, then a friend posted 'M was here' in her status. However, M is a guy, so when my friend's boyfriend found out, he misunderstood and my friend had to explain to him.
Putting all the opinions about the case aside, this case had made me wonder about privacy invasion.
When is it considered ethical or unethical, especially on online medias (as it has higher chance of such things to happen)?

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
As a person, we have to protect our own interest.
Just be vigilant because we can't control what others will do, but we can control HOW we handle it.
Also, it's common sense to not invade into others privacy.

Also, JAP, welcome back.
I was never here when you were here, but I've heard about you.
I also heard you were Indonesian so.. Apa Khabar?  ;8
なんでやねん

I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
Yeah, but what would you consider actually as privacy invasion?

To be honest, in the case I have stated above, I would consider that not even a prank, let alone privacy invasion; but apparently for my friend's case, it has caused her such a big problem.

Thank you, I am all well, just a bit overwhelmed with school assignments. Are you Indonesian too? :P

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
"Yeah, but what would you consider actually as privacy invasion?"
Using something which is not rightfully yours.

For your friend that got her FB used..
What your friend faced is actually results of privacy invasion.

Also, I'm a malaysian.
But in same case as you ; Your a Japanese in Indonesia, but I'm a Korean-Malay from Malaysia.  ;8
なんでやねん

I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
Is there any case of privacy invasion that might be actually beneficial or ethical?
Because actually when shopping websites use our browsing history to market us items that might interest us, isn't that also privacy invasion? But it's actually beneficial.

Oh. Nice to meet you. :) I am actually Japanese-Chinese, and only quarter or less of my blood is Japanese! It's only from my grandfather. Hahaha.

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
Is there any case of privacy invasion that might be actually beneficial or ethical?
Because actually when shopping websites use our browsing history to market us items that might interest us, isn't that also privacy invasion? But it's actually beneficial.

Oh. Nice to meet you. :) I am actually Japanese-Chinese, and only quarter or less of my blood is Japanese! It's only from my grandfather. Hahaha.
About the shopping websites, those sites don't actually invade your privacy.
Why? because it's just suggesting you to make a purchase. They don't really do anything more than that, do they?

I never knew you were half chinese. Can you speak mandarin?   ???
なんでやねん

I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
But it is suggesting us to make a purchase based on our browsing history. Indeed, they don't really do anything more than that -- but they did take information from us without us giving a consent for it.

I can, but it is not my first language.

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
But it is suggesting us to make a purchase based on our browsing history. Indeed, they don't really do anything more than that -- but they did take information from us without us giving a consent for it.

I can, but it is not my first language.
Sure ; they take our information.
But what more can that piece of information really do?
Although in someway in might be a form of Privacy Invasion, the site is just helping
you to find things that you *might* wish to buy. Also, it's your choice to go to the site
or not. So it's not really a form of privacy invasion because your actually willing to go to the
website and show your information for your needs.  ^-^
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:20:32 PM by AbsoluteIce »
なんでやねん

I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
Alright, then something like that is considered an ethical privacy invasion, I suppose?

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
Alright, then something like that is considered an ethical privacy invasion, I suppose?
In some ways, it might be both.
beneficial and ethical at the same time.
なんでやねん

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
As far as webpages go that look at browsing history and make suggestions, that isn't necessarily an invasion of privacy to pass information to a website when the only thing the information does is informs the page to display an ad for a particular product.  As long as that is all it does and it doesn't go to any central database (which I honestly doubt it does), then noone is seeing this information but yourself and unless you have multiple personalities and you are hiding information from the other you, this shouldn't be a big deal.

I think most people are making a big deal out of nothing in most cases.  People complained about facebook tracking different things you do or where you live or your phone number...all of this is voluntary information given by the user.  It reminds me of the people I speak with on the phone every night who, even after telling them "just answer these questions within your own comfort level," decide to get pissed and angry at me for asking for their address so we can determine which demographic they fall in based on region in our studies.  I already had told them essentially that the question was optional yet they still took it to heart. 

People have a different opinion on what an invasion of privacy is mostly because some are more private than others.  Your friend's boyfriend is a stooge for getting pissed off at a friend leaving a harmless message but your friend is at fault also for allowing it to happen.  It isn't an invasion of privacy; she basically handed over the keys to her facebook by leaving it open for all to use. 
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
This situation was an invasion of privacy. She should've logged out. Also, WELCOME BACK <3

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Think of that as if you were a regular customer at a store with a regular worker.
You buy the same shit all the time, the worker eventually starts recognising you after your 10th time of getting that said same shit.
One day you find all your same shit packed nicely in a few bags and get a nice friendly wave from the worker.

Why? Cause he knew what you were there for and decided to do it for you.

Obviously it's different for web browsing, but the concept is the same.
The worker isn't invading your privacy because he picked up your routine.
Internet marketing tactics aren't infringing that either.

Though getting ad block saves you the hassle of seeing them.

However, the 'harmless' prank on facebook is in fact infringing privacy.
If your intent was so that you could use your stuff and only you, then someone else using it would be infringing that.
(ie unless your friend told them they could write that, they shouldn't have done it. Period)
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
These pranks, while technically illegal and infringing privacy, are still nothing more than pranks. People pull pranks that are on the same level daily, it shouldn't really be a big issue. Facebook status pranks used to be incredibly funny in their infancy.

Also, hi JAP. You can't just randomly come post a topic without appropriate hugs first :gracie:
:taco: :taco: :taco:

I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
LOL. Thanks all for the welcome! *Hugs you all one by one* :)

It's very interesting on how different people can view privacy issues. Indeed, I believe that it is unique to every individual. And I actually believe that by using those websites like social media and the likes, you have already agreed to their terms and conditions, and therefore if people consider FaceBook's tracking information from our accounts as privacy invasion, it's not exactly correct.

And D&P, nice analogy. :>

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
WAIT I THOUGHT YOU LEFT

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Junior
Yeah, but what would you consider actually as privacy invasion?

To be honest, in the case I have stated above, I would consider that not even a prank, let alone privacy invasion; but apparently for my friend's case, it has caused her such a big problem.

Thank you, I am all well, just a bit overwhelmed with school assignments. Are you Indonesian too? :P

Non public information about you taken without your knowledge or permission.  Public would be your name and street address.  Private would and should be anything you do in your own home.  What TV channels you watch.  Where you go on the internet.  What you eat, when you eat it, how many sheets of toilet paper you use to wipe your ass.  What you talk about with other people in your house (not online and not over the phone).  Shit like that.

But people now have the opinion that privacy gets in their way of anything they do, and are damn near to the point where they are demanding that someone monitor and record every single action of their lives.  Its not my decision to make for them, but the anti privacy advocates seem to feel it is their decision to make for me.
Heretic's Vehicles XP (Boat and Magic Carpet)

Heretic's Collection XP Ver 2.3 - Updated to include Dynamic Lighting, Moving Platforms, Vehicles, and much much more!

I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
@ mastermoo: No, I was just too occupied with uni. :S

@ Heretic86: But you know that World of Warcraft case, right? Name is also considered a private information. :X

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
RMRK Junior
Hello, acording to the topic, concretly about the "accident" of your friend, there is a man, Paul Virilio, who has deeply thought about the concept of the accident and how new technologies have changed strongly the consecuences accidents can have in modern societys.

Personally I agree with him up to some point, but I think he have given so much attention to something that it's not really the problem but a collateral consecuence of a much bigger problem. I'm not explaining my self to much because I'm giving you in this posts links to some articles about him. The first one is a very good summary of his ideology, the second one is a much shorter youtube video, but I didn't found it in english, just in spanish and french.

http://www.uta.edu/huma/agger/fastcapitalism/2_1/redhead.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAPn7pBP0L8

If interested I'd really want to discuss what you think about what he says.