RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
FBI Didn't Break Law When Copying MU Data Because the Data Wasn't "Physical"

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
FBI agents who copied data from Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom's computers and took it overseas were not acting illegally because information isn't "physical material", the Crown says.The agents were accused of underhanded behaviour by Dotcom's lawyers in the High Court at Auckland yesterday, after revelations that the information was already in US hands.
Megaupload's lawyer, Willie Akel, told Justice Helen Winkelmann how two FBI analysts flew to New Zealand on March 20 and reviewed seven hard-drives of information. The analysts cloned the computers in Manukau.
When police returned to pick them up to take them to their hotel, the agents had already left to FedEx the copies back to the United States.
"The first [copies] were sent without the New Zealand Police having any say in it whatsoever," Mr Akel said. The commissioner of police had "lost control of the items" once the FBI had them.
"If [they] went offshore without the consent of the attorney-general, it was an illegal act."Mr Akel said that there had been an agreement that none of the evidence against Dotcom, seized after his arrest, would be provided to the FBI without prior agreement.
However, Crown lawyer John Pike, for the attorney-general, said the material stored on the hard drives could be shipped overseas for the FBI to examine because it did not constitute "physical" material.
The relevant legislation applied only to physical possessions rather than information, Mr Pike said. "[Information] may be the most valuable thing we have, but it is not scooped up by the act".
He said that there were "gremlins" all through the exercise, which made the situation difficult to understand. "Nothing of the physical items have gone overseas and that was our undertaking."
Justice Winkelmann said that there was an obligation that material deemed irrelevant to the investigation be returned.
However, Mr Pike said it was too difficult to know what was relevant and what was not. "Police, to put it bluntly, would not have a clue what is relevant and what is not relevant. How could they?"
Dotcom, 38, is on bail awaiting an extradition hearing.
US authorities say he and his three co-accused – Mathias Ortmann, Fin Batato and Bram van der Kolk – used Megaupload and its affiliated sites to knowingly make money from pirated movies and games.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/7054878/Dotcom-info-not-physical

Pirating is no longer illegal because it isn't "physical material". You fucked up big, FBI.

Rep:
Level 56
RMRK Junior
I'll be upfront and say I don't have anything relevant to add to this. I only find myself in a state of sinister glee upon witnessing such a display of careless stupidity, and I, for one, am overjoyed to see such a facepalm-worthy attempt at bullshitting backfire so gloriously.

I kinda like it when people show their asses in this way. I know, I should hope for tact and competency in the people who are supposed to be protecting the social order which I value so greatly, but this is so much more fun.

I support:

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
So...Kim Dotcom did nothing illegal, according to the FBI.

Whoops.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
So...Kim Dotcom did nothing illegal, according to the FBI.

Whoops.

I am giggling like a schoolgirl XD

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member
The article doesn't link to any of the statutes in question, so this is just a guess, but I don't think this would backfire on the FBI at all. The argument the FBI is making is that the New Zealand statute defines the activity in question as only being illegal if physical material was taken. That is simply a matter of statutory interpretation, and the fact that a New Zealand statute might only prescribe against physical material being taken doesn't invalidate US legislation that defines piracy without incorporating any sort of physical requirement.

In other words, NZ Statute A might only define something as theft if material is physically removed from the owner, but that wouldn't invalidate the operation of US Statute B which defines something as theft even when material is only transferred electronically. The FBI wouldn't be precluded from prosecuting someone on US Statute B just because they relied on NZ Statute A to obtain the evidence.

Statutory definitions generally apply only to the statute in which the word is defined, so the fact that two statutes define the same word differently does not indicate that a Court must choose only one of the two. It just means that when applying Statute A, the Court uses the definition in Statute A, and when applying Statute B, the Court uses the definition in Statute B. In this case, there is not enough information provided even to say whether it is the same word in question or not. Alternatively, laws vary by nation, so something can be legal in NZ that isn't legal in the US.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:47:57 PM by modern algebra »

SOON
Rep:
Level 72
Jomarcenter - MJM
wait! if megaupload had no physical illegal pirated product... that means is isn't illegal... but if they declare that is sin't illegal because is isn't physical product and also showing the loophole on getting Kim Dotcom lawyer's to use it against court to save himself... if they want him down they shouldn't do that.. i mean that they reveled the loophole to the law dotcom broke right...?

edit: but then again the fbi have already have the right to copy the content dotcom pc...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:30:36 PM by jomarcenter »

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
They copied all the pirated movies and deleted all the legitimate and fanmade stuff just to make the trial as one-sided as possible so Smith can summon Rapidmegafire and my project will come true