RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
38 Studios, Total Layoffs

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Edit: I understand what you mean now. I would say the two are tied, just because these MMOs aren't developed with microtransactions in mind. Really, I wonder if a developer will ever make microtransactions feel right in these Everquest/WoW style MMOs.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:42:20 AM by chewey »

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
F2P models feel right to me in some games.  LoTRO is doing a fairly good job but the only thing that makes me a tad bit annoyed is that some of the very very important features for a character is cash-op.  I can understand gold-cap and a couple other things but there are many features that make it seem to be pay-to-win.  It is nice that they do allow you to earn turbine points as you play the game, though.  That at least allows you to purchase the most important things if you sink in enough time without even touching your credit card.

I also personally liked Champions Online's F2P model.  The only things you really need to purchase are expansion dungeons and costume pieces.  I guess there may be a few other things that I can't think off right off hand that you have to use cash for but most of it isn't enough to concern yourself with.

In order to understand why a lot of us play MMOs, you have to enjoy MMOs and if you don't then whatever.  One less person in this world to worry about when it comes to server queues for the more packed games XD
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
MMOs have no end. They're just an addiction. Tons of tiny goals set up to be accomplished that get repeated. I like endings. I sometimes even like replaying games. :o Crazzzzzy

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
They're just an addiction.

Maybe so lol.  Not for myself though luckily.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Its just like chewey and NAM said, though. People hear MMO and think WoW, myself included. Just because something is massively-multiplayer, and online, doesn't mean it has to be a turn-based genre role-playing game.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Quit being a baby, Arlen.
Oh, sorry, I don't actually care about this argument, I was just being an ass.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Edit: I understand what you mean now. I would say the two are tied, just because these MMOs aren't developed with microtransactions in mind. Really, I wonder if a developer will ever make microtransactions feel right in these Everquest/WoW style MMOs.

Yeah, Aion does it alright, and GW2 is fixing to do it as well, though it's less "Traditional".

Its just like chewey and NAM said, though. People hear MMO and think WoW, myself included. Just because something is massively-multiplayer, and online, doesn't mean it has to be a turn-based genre role-playing game.

Exactly, MMO* is a technology, but it has seemingly become synonymous with MMORPG.  I hope that changes and we can see more variety in the future.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Epic Games is hiring former employees to start a Baltimore branch.
http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/03/epic-purchases-big-huge-games/
Nice going!