RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
38 Studios, Total Layoffs

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Its a shame. Amalur was pretty fun.

http://bostonglobe.com/business/2012/05/24/curt-schilling-studios-lays-off-entire-staff/CDRWdTYSEljF0CukMUIatL/story.html

Curt Schilling’s troubled 38 Studios laid off its entire staff in Rhode Island and Maryland on Thursday in a stunning turn of events for the former Red Sox pitcher’s ambitious gambit to build a video game franchise off the back of a winning baseball career.

The decision comes less than two weeks after 38 Studios’ financial woes surfaced and deep cracks began appearing in the six-year-old company. It was lured from Maynard to Rhode Island on the promise of a $75 million loan guarantee from a state hoping Schilling’s vision could bring high-paying jobs.

“I’m stunned, and I’m heartbroken,’’ said R.A. Salvatore, a Leominster fantasy author who was a consultant to 38 Studios and whose son worked at the company. “This is one of the best teams I’ve ever seen assembled. They were doing amazing work.’’

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
It really is a shame, but you could see this coming from a mile away.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Today, I considered sending my portfolio to them.

Ha.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Send it to Ken Rolston. He might be out of a job now, but it won't be for long.

edit: Then again, he might be too far past his prime at this point. So I dunno.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
I wonder what this means for the MMO they were developing. I wonder who decided to push out a teaser trailer for it a week ago, too.

38 needed 3 million copies of Amalur sold just for them to be able to pay their debts. It sucks (like, really really sucks) that they didn't even come close to selling that many, but it's not all that surprising either. Somebody made some really shitty business decisions over at 38 Studios.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:05:05 PM by chewey »

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Ouch.  I've been following this for a bit.  This is a fairly harsh turn of events.  I'm positive that the rights to the MMO will be purchased as well as the rights to KoA if they weren't already sold.  From what I understand, with the studio defaulting on their obligations the games become state property.  The state would more than likely sell the two to pay off the huge loan they gave out.

This goes to show that our government shouldn't be involved in our businesses to this extent.  It is too risky and it falls on the backs of the tax payers...As much as I love KoA, those folks would have been better off starting up a factory or something.  They need to get to selling those properties fast.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
The MMO video went out in the hopes that another studio would pick it up. Also, there is an amazing side to this, in that all sorts of developers and other industry employers have extended job offers to the employees that were let go. That is so cool to see.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Yeah.  Other companies saw how great KoA was and were wishing them well before the layoffs.  I'm positive most of those employees will find jobs pretty fast and might even get some assistance with their finances.  I would hope so at least.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 94
That's really the least of worries for the people that matter in this.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
That's really the least of worries for the people that matter in this.

I'm more curious as to what the state of Rhode Island would do with the IP. Nam told me they went unpaid for 2 weeks prior, which is very worrisome.

I'm really glad to hear that they're being offered jobs by other companies though.

Rep:
Level 94
Rhode Island will be renamed Amalur, and the slogan will be changed to "The Well of Souls State".

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Rhode Island will be renamed Amalur, and the slogan will be changed to "The Well of Souls State".

Not sure if want.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I would move there in a heartbeat.  I would then be disappointed.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
I can't imagine anybody will be eager to continue development of the MMO.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Why do people still play MMOs?

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
They don't, really.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I think you'll find the part of the world we don't represent very much loves MMO's
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 96
nope i dont like it so nobody likes it

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Uh, no. Most MMOs are going free to play because nobody wants to buy/subscribe to them anymore. Even SWTOR's numbers dwindled big time after the three month starter period. The reaction to the TES MMO reveal was pretty fucking bad.

People have grown tired of MMOs, at least the way they are now. I imagine development for the Amalur MMO was a bit of a mess when they realised mid-development that MMOs have changed big time. I bet it's the same deal for the dudes making the TES MMO, since that has been in development for a while now too.

Quit being a baby, Arlen.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Uh, no. Most MMOs are going free to play because nobody wants to buy/subscribe to them anymore.
I was heavily under the impression that the idea of a free-to-play game just attracts an enormously larger playerbase so that FTP games in general with cash shops simply generated more revenue due to the massive amount of players they have. Also, any game with a subscription model is competing with WoW.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Yeah, the games generate more money when they go free to play but there aren't many that are doing well. League of Legends is probably having the most success with its free to play model, right? That game was built with it being a free to play game in mind though, so they did it right. The big budget MMOs that later went free to play like DDO, LOTRO, Aion and Rift are all a bit weird. I bet the people working on Project Copernicus and TES: Online looked at all these games being transitioned to weird free to play models and thought, "Fuck, what are we going to do with this traditional MMO we're developing?"

So yeah, what I mean is nobody really wants a traditional MMO anymore. Developers need to change their expectations because of this, since making these big MMOs is pretty expensive.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I don't think that the "traditional mmo experience" is tied to the aspect subscription of it.  But I do agree, the market is changing, and F2P is just more profitable from a payment formula standpoint.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:14:10 AM by NAMKCOR »

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Edit: I understand what you mean now. I would say the two are tied, just because these MMOs aren't developed with microtransactions in mind. Really, I wonder if a developer will ever make microtransactions feel right in these Everquest/WoW style MMOs.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:42:20 AM by chewey »

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
F2P models feel right to me in some games.  LoTRO is doing a fairly good job but the only thing that makes me a tad bit annoyed is that some of the very very important features for a character is cash-op.  I can understand gold-cap and a couple other things but there are many features that make it seem to be pay-to-win.  It is nice that they do allow you to earn turbine points as you play the game, though.  That at least allows you to purchase the most important things if you sink in enough time without even touching your credit card.

I also personally liked Champions Online's F2P model.  The only things you really need to purchase are expansion dungeons and costume pieces.  I guess there may be a few other things that I can't think off right off hand that you have to use cash for but most of it isn't enough to concern yourself with.

In order to understand why a lot of us play MMOs, you have to enjoy MMOs and if you don't then whatever.  One less person in this world to worry about when it comes to server queues for the more packed games XD

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
MMOs have no end. They're just an addiction. Tons of tiny goals set up to be accomplished that get repeated. I like endings. I sometimes even like replaying games. :o Crazzzzzy

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
They're just an addiction.

Maybe so lol.  Not for myself though luckily.

Rep:
Level 94
Its just like chewey and NAM said, though. People hear MMO and think WoW, myself included. Just because something is massively-multiplayer, and online, doesn't mean it has to be a turn-based genre role-playing game.

Rep:
Level 96
Quit being a baby, Arlen.
Oh, sorry, I don't actually care about this argument, I was just being an ass.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Edit: I understand what you mean now. I would say the two are tied, just because these MMOs aren't developed with microtransactions in mind. Really, I wonder if a developer will ever make microtransactions feel right in these Everquest/WoW style MMOs.

Yeah, Aion does it alright, and GW2 is fixing to do it as well, though it's less "Traditional".

Its just like chewey and NAM said, though. People hear MMO and think WoW, myself included. Just because something is massively-multiplayer, and online, doesn't mean it has to be a turn-based genre role-playing game.

Exactly, MMO* is a technology, but it has seemingly become synonymous with MMORPG.  I hope that changes and we can see more variety in the future.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Epic Games is hiring former employees to start a Baltimore branch.
http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/03/epic-purchases-big-huge-games/
Nice going!