RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Build]Laptop

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Okay, so I'm going to graduate in about a month, and I need a laptop for college. I can't really say what price range yet, but I was wondering what kinds of sites or brands I should look around on.

Primarily, the laptop would probably be used for gaming (since I'm kind of using it like my "mobile base" since I can't take my desktop to college and take notes with it and whatever) so that's what I want to put that money into.

So any suggestions for sites/brands to look into or what kind of specs? :P
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:35:18 AM by Tod »

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Either go full power with an Asus G series (I like the G74SX) or full class with a Lenovo.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:51:56 PM by tYLER »

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Also don't take laptop advice from me, I own an M11X

Rep:
Level 69
I've never needed a computer in college except for printing out essays, which the college already had. I always use a regular paper notebook for school, laptops you have to setup and it can be in the way at times, etc. It just seems like too much.

If you're getting a room at the college, bring your desktop. If you're going there then going back home every day, keep the gaming to your desktop. If you REALLY want to game on the go, get a smart phone.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
My cousin has a Lenovo IdeaPad, he loves it. It can run any game he needs it to.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Either go full power with an Asus G series (I like the G74SX) or full class with a Lenovo.
thread over. I have a lenovo g455 and it is fantastic, if I wanted to get a new laptop specifically for gaming that is fantastic for everything it'd either be a lenovo or an asus.

and scalinger's opinion is useless, ignore it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:32:11 AM by John »

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
I've never needed a computer in college except for printing out essays, which the college already had. I always use a regular paper notebook for school, laptops you have to setup and it can be in the way at times, etc. It just seems like too much.

If you're getting a room at the college, bring your desktop. If you're going there then going back home every day, keep the gaming to your desktop. If you REALLY want to game on the go, get a smart phone.
Yeah, think about whether you really need a laptop for taking notes first. Pen and paper is definitely less hassle for most stuff and then you've got devices dedicated to taking notes which may be a better investment too.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

Yeah, think about whether you really need a laptop for taking notes first. Pen and paper is definitely less hassle for most stuff and then you've got devices dedicated to taking notes which may be a better investment too.
a much better point.

Rep:
Level 97
I take my notes with pen and paper, but nearly every college professor asks for a digital copy of your work over a physical copy. Being able to research and write essays wherever you need is pretty freakin handy.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Asus all the way.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Well, in regards to the notes thing, I guess that's true, but gaming is the main issue since I don't plan to stop gaming (although it probably/most likely will be less than how much I play now), and with how things work out, having a laptop is significantly better than keeping only my desktop.

But I'll look into ASUS and Lenovo. Thanks all! ^^

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6110-clevo-w110er-eta-4222012-p-4343.html

Sager laptops seem to be the ones to get for gaming these days. The one I linked is their most portable one, but they do make larger laptops too. They (and every other laptop manufacturer) are about to refresh their laptops with the newest series of Intel CPUs, so wait a week for that to happen. It seems difficult to grab a last gen Sager, but you'll be able to do that with other brands. I know old Lenovos are on sale all the time now. Some of their gaming laptops have heat and battery issues though, so make sure you read some reviews before buying anything.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:24:41 AM by chewey »

Rep:
Level 97
I've heard a lot of good things about Sagers. Especially concerning the actual build of the laptop and not just the parts.

SOON
Rep:
Level 72
Jomarcenter - MJM
tip on picking on the best pc.

mostly i do recommended newer system, processors, video card, etc... than old system.
here the link of picking the best laptop.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/187748/laptop_buying_guide_selecting_the_right_laptop_for_you.html
you may thank me later...

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
So new is better than old. Gotcha.

SOON
Rep:
Level 72
Jomarcenter - MJM
So new is better than old. Gotcha.
yeah since newer had better processors and advance system from today, but it also depend on what company does it came from too...
for video card i recommended from AMD since it been use in video gaming here in the Philippines..
while for other it depend on you.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
NAH I WANT THAT SAGER SHIT NIGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I've been waiting all week to see what the price and stuff will be like after the processor upgrade :c

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
How satisfactory is an 11.6" screen? I'm torn because the Sager customizable laptop has the inferior graphics card also has the bigger screen @_@ How well would games handle on GT 630M?
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-630m/specifications

Rep:
Level 97
I have an 11" screen and I'm perfectly fine with it. It does piss off all of my friends however. Also a GT630M is a fantastic card, and you'd be up to date with even a 550M. Focus most on processing power yo

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Aren't all the Sager laptops customisable?

Anyway, the Sager NP6165 looks the best to me. It's $80 more than the Sager NP6110 but has a larger screen and a better graphics card. The Ivy Bridge laptops cost too much (so do the upgrades).

The 630M isn't very good, but it'll be okay for running games at 1366x768. The 650M is a lot better (maybe twice as powerful?), but the 1920x1080 monitor it's paired up with will obviously be a little more taxing. You're not going to be running games at max settings in either case, but that doesn't really matter.

It's $20 more to get a 17 inch version of the same laptop, but personally I'd rather not have a laptop that big.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:11:51 AM by chewey »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Semi-necro, but this is what I settled on. Thank to chewey for telling me about Sagers :o And thanks to everyone else for their input :3

1x   Sager NP9130 / Clevo P151EM1
  - Display: 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen (SKU - S1R324)
  - Processor: Sager - 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP) (SKU - S2N224)
  - Thermal Compound: -Stock OEM Thermal Compound
  - Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 670M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology (SKU - S3N501)
  - Ram: FREE 16GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (4 SODIMMS) (w/ i7 CPU Upgrade) (SKU - S4T761)
  - Primary Hard Drive: FREE 750gb 7200rpm (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) (w/ i7 CPU Upgrade) (SKU - S5T306)
  - Optical Drive Bay: Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included) (SKU - S7R455)
  - Memory Card Reader: Internal 9-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD/Mini SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo)
  - Wireless Network: Sager - Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 (3x3) (SKU - S8R056)
  - Camera: Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
  - Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
  - Battery: Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
  - Fingerprint Reader: Integrated Fingerprint Reader
  - Warranty: LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Telephone Support (Labor through XPC)
Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Parts Warranty Repairs (SKU - X9R009)

$1,284.01

And I'm getting a custom skin for it, too! ;8 Good ol' Link should be timeless.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:58:24 PM by Ploopy »