RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Ask a minister

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
I've worked in a church for five years now as a youth minister. I'm by no means an expert on anything, but I'd be happy to respond to questions you might have. Know also that I won't be judgmental. I will do my best to answer your question without going all southern baptist on you.

Rep:
Level 60
Hmm... well, were you raised Christian? Also, have you at any point doubted or questioned your faith (or rather... why you believe what you do)?

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
Yes I was raised a Christian.  My parents are really fantastic.  Dad died three years ago, but he was a minister from when he was in college.  I followed in his footsteps to be a youth minister.  I don't regreat being raised a Christian, but I feel like there are times when I really respect those who became Christians later in life and when no one was telling them about Jesus at home.

Yes, I've doubted.  I think any Christian that just believes blindly is kidding themselves or locked in a fortress.  There are so many relgiions out there, so many different people saying they have the truth.  If Christianity claims to be exclusively right, then to just take that for what it is without thinking about what that means can lead to a lot of "I'm right, you're wrong, so repent sinner!"

Wrong.

I really doubted in college.  There was a time when I was thinking "You know, maybe this whole thing was made up."

It all came back to Jesus.  Was He an historical person? Yes.  Many other source other than the BIble attest to the fact that He existed.  So was He a lunatic, liar, or Lord?  Cause He claimed to be God.  Loved everyone yes, but He claimed to God Himself.  So He can't have been just a good teacher.  So He was either a pathological liar and has led millions of people astray, or He was a lunatic who actually believed He was God but was a crazy person.

You can say what you want about His miracles or His teachings, but it comes back to whether you believe He rose from the dead.  To answer that would take pages, and fortunately this website has done so: http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/num9.htm

Now that site asks you to presuppose the New Testament writings.  Well, that's a tough pill for some people to swallow as well.  It was for me.  Then I went through these thoughts:

1. What would these people gain if they were making it all up?  Financial gain? No. Personal glory? No. 
2. When are the oldest documents we have dated, and was anyone else alive to refute the things that were written in them? Aka, would these writings have managed to survive if others who saw the same events could say "This is bull! I was there that didn't happen!"

Again, a good website:

http://carm.org/can-we-trust-new-testament-historical-document

So, yes I've doubted, but I came back trusting more.  Yes I grew up in a Christian home, and I'm really working on that not being a handicap when I talk with people who have never really given Christainity serious consideration.

I also try my best not to be a jerk about my faith.  We've got too many of those in Christianity.

Edit- wow. Why a ridiculously long post
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:55:00 PM by Ronald »

Rep:
Level 60
Edit- wow. Why a ridiculously long post

Eden: Because that second question wasn't one that should be answered succinctly. By the way, knowing that, I completely respect your beliefs. I wasn't trying to start a debate or anything, but that's something that I ask anyone who is open about their faith. I think questioning your own beliefs is one of the most profound things that a person can do for themselves, and I honestly think that everyone should do so at some point or another. :) (Hope you're not offended by the username, though. :P)

I'm agnostic, myself, mostly because I don't have any answers and would never make claims to know anything with absolute certainty (although I am disinclined to believe in a God, personally). I was raised by an agnostic father and a "spiritual" mother (she never claimed to believe in any one religion, but has always considered herself a very spiritual person), while the rest of my extended family are almost exclusively Christian.

(There have been quite a few attempts to convert both myself and my father, by the way, by said extended family. They haven't worked, and I doubt they ever will, honestly.) :P

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
I think a part of my belief has to do with my inability to have all knowledge. If I were to search all knowledge and find that there was no one, wouldn't I have then obtained all knowledge and be God? Then if I said I didn't believe in God I'd be denying my own diety. That'll keep you up at night.

No offense taken from your username, I just believe quite differently. I'd be interested in hearing what's been presented to you about Christianity. Hearing your perspective would be refreshing.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Some questions here:

1)Since you posted this in the "Ask a Stereotype" forum, does this mean you are a stereotypical christian?

2)What do you think of the theory of evolution/dinosaurs/pokemon?

3)What church? Catholic or protestant or some other third thing. Dependant on which you belong to, what do you think of stereotypes attributed to your church. Do you think they are accurate to some degree?

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
>Thinking anyone is actually catholic or protestant in America

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
>Thinking anyone is actually catholic or protestant in America

Suck my dick young man.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
I'd expect those words out of Bluntsword, he's the youth minister here :V :V :V :V

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
I'd expect those words out of Bluntsword, he's the youth minister here :V :V :V :V

Ohohohoho :V :V :V :V :V :V

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh snap.

8)

Some questions here:

1)Since you posted this in the "Ask a Stereotype" forum, does this mean you are a stereotypical christian?

2)What do you think of the theory of evolution/dinosaurs/pokemon?

3)What church? Catholic or protestant or some other third thing. Dependant on which you belong to, what do you think of stereotypes attributed to your church. Do you think they are accurate to some degree?

1. I suppose by what you mean by stereotypical Christian.  Would you say that a stereotypical Christian is judgmental, hateful, biased, ignorant, irrelevant, lacks compassion, doesn't try to understand people with different viewpoints, and carries themselves with a "I'm awesome and you're going to hell" mentality?

I hope I am the farthest thing from that.  I want to be loving, real, compassionate, generous, understanding and humble.  I have a love way to go to get there.

2. Pokemon are real in video games! Dinosaurs.  I can't say I've done a lot of research.  I mean, I'd be dumb to say they didn't exist.  Duh, huge fossils are KIND OF hard to deny.  When they existed, when they died out, and how though...  I don't know and don't really feel like I have the answers to that.

Macro-evolution though, I completely disagree with.  I am a Creationist and so therefore believe God actually created the world.  He didn't do it through evolution, as some may say, but He did it through His spoken word.  What would give God the right to rule over the world if it weren't His creation?  Same goes for us.

Micro-evolution? I don't have a problem with micro-evolution.  I sure hope my daughter evolves to be a better athlete than I am.  I gave her some pretty terrible genes in that department.

3. I'm a Southern Baptist and therefore Protestant.  The beliefs of my convention can be found here: http://www.sbc.net/bfm/default.asp I think most stereotypes attributed to my denomination are embarrassingly accurate.  I see several that are trying to change that.  This is a model church with a phenomenal pastor: http://www.brookhills.org/ Is the church I attend a model church trying to change the awful stereotype?  Some are.  Some are very stuck in their (demeaning and unbiblical) ways and I don't think much will change them save for God's intervention.

I want Christianity to be viewed differently.  For this to happen, Christians will certainly have to start being different than what they are right now.  I can think of too many giving the whole a bad name and too few trying to change it.

Questions answered?

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
I must ask, if you believe that dinosaurs did exist (and you have acknowledged that there is no way you could deny they exist) then how could you deny evolution? If god did exist and created everything, how do you explain them?

And if God created them, there would be some mention, something in the bible of them?

It just seems like contradicting opinions. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just confused.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Have you read the Bible completely?
How much of it do you actually believe (percentage wise)?

<This is a legitimate question>
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I must ask, if you believe that dinosaurs did exist (and you have acknowledged that there is no way you could deny they exist) then how could you deny evolution? If god did exist and created everything, how do you explain them?

And if God created them, there would be some mention, something in the bible of them?

It just seems like contradicting opinions. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just confused.

We didn't evolve from dinosaurs. -_-
The bible didn't mention zebras, but they still exist. It's not really that contradictory.
A better argument would be "How do you explain the Neanderthal remains we've discovered?".

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76

We didn't evolve from dinosaurs. -_-
The bible didn't mention zebras, but they still exist. It's not really that contradictory.
A better argument would be "How do you explain the Neanderthal remains we've discovered?".

I didn't mean dinosaurs exclusively.  -_-

I meant that as a loose term for : prehistoric creatures in general.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Your argument still doesn't hold any water.
I've seen a lot of creationists that assume dinosaurs and people coexisted at one point. This has been proven false by carbon dating of course, but there are certain Christians who believe carbon dating isn't accurate enough to refute this point.

Also, this doesn't have anything to do with evolution, unless we're talking Komodo dragons.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

what if god created evolution. he's a pretty smart being, I bet he could have thought it up.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Okay, but he never said that he believed that, and if he had I wouldn't have bothered to raise the point.

Also I already pointed out I didn't mean only dinosaurs, so drop that already.

... I mean, I'd be dumb to say they didn't exist.  Duh, huge fossils are KIND OF hard to deny.  ...

..Macro-evolution though, I completely disagree with.  I am a Creationist and so therefore believe God actually created the world.  He didn't do it through evolution, as some may say, but He did it through His spoken word. ..

If he says that huge fossils (such as of but NOT FUCKING LIMITED TO dinosaurs) are hard to deny, it woud make sense that he would also consider other fossils (such as those of prehistoric humans, birds and mammals, ie evolutionary links) just as valid.

Hence my confusion.

what if god created evolution. he's a pretty smart being, I bet he could have thought it up.

Interesting, irrelevant to this particular argument:

..Macro-evolution though, I completely disagree with.  I am a Creationist and so therefore believe God actually created the world.  He didn't do it through evolution, as some may say, but He did it through His spoken word. ..

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72

Question merited.

I would be foolish to claim I can extensively answer this. I can however, point to others who are much smarter than me and thought through these questions.

Like this guy who says he is not a creationist but has problems with evolution:
http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/locke.html

And this site which looks at the fossil records of man. Please ignore the stupid cartoon.
http://www.bestbiblescience.org/cartoon.htm

As to the bible, yes I have read it through twice. Also I have to say it is all true and accurate. It's a slippery slope, don't you agree, to say one part of the Bible isn't accurate but the rest is? If I said I didn't agree with genesis 1-2 because it had creation in it, wouldn't I have the right to then say John 3:16 irks me as well?  I believe it's all true.

Now doesn't mean when someone brings up a valid point I stick my fingers in my ears and start singing Jesus loves me. Instead I seek to reconcile truth with what the Bible has to say. Make sense?

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Now doesn't mean when someone brings up a valid point I stick my fingers in my ears and start singing Jesus loves me. Instead I seek to reconcile truth with what the Bible has to say. Make sense?

Thats reasonable enough. Thanks for being polite.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
I suppose that I am happy/satisfied with that response :)
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Glad to have conversation without lots of shouting!