RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How to stick with game development

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
RMRK Junior
I know my way around RMVX pretty well, and I'm very creative with characterization, gameplay and mapping. I even know some pretty good resource sites. With all this in mind, it would like I shouldn't have a problem finishing a game.
But I do... I'll start working on a project, but after making a few maps and events, I just lose it, as if I have a  really short attention span. I want to finish a game, but I just can't stick to one! Anyone have any ideas on how I can keep interest in my work?

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
What do you do when you're making these maps and events?
Do you just focus on what you're doing or do you multitask?

It was the same for me when I was beginning, but as I got further into developing my game, my characters can do things that they couldn't at the start and it actually makes the eventing quite fun.

But what I did at the start and still do now is listen to music while I work on it, change the music for the scene you're creating and watch your creation immerse itself.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
What do you do when you're making these maps and events?
Do you just focus on what you're doing or do you multitask?

It was the same for me when I was beginning, but as I got further into developing my game, my characters can do things that they couldn't at the start and it actually makes the eventing quite fun.

But what I did at the start and still do now is listen to music while I work on it, change the music for the scene you're creating and watch your creation immerse itself.
Yeah, I do the same.
If I really want to feel creative, I search up 'epic music' or 'anime openings' to
make me feel.. immersed in the music.
なんでやねん

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
It might. It make sense but working on an rpg is kinda like studying. You have to be really focused and that takes effort.

Work in hour long intervals, then get up for ten-15 minutes and give your brain a rest. Do something else like play a video game.

Set goals for yourself that aren't "complete the game" but more like "finish this village" then reward yourself. Whatever else you like. Like going on a taco bell run. Mmm. Taco bell.

If you're intending to finish the game, have a really good idea of how it'll end so you and trace your process and see how close you are to finishing. That way you don't feel like your not getting anywhere.

Maybe go in with a buddy or group to create games at the same time. That way you can keep each on task, play each other's games for new ideas, and brainstorm when you're stuck.

Just some thoughts.