RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RMVX] PortableVX v1.2 - Creating 'RTP-less' Games

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Just recently I found a way to allow the games that I create in RMVX to be completely stand alone and not require the end user to install the VX RTP using a PortableApps.com launcher, so I thought that I would share. Using this method only adds a little over a single megabyte to your current project, but it can grow if you want to include support for Japanese text. You can download the current version of 'PortableVX' in this thread.

PortableVX should work for Windows 2000 through Windows 7.

< How Does it Work? >
Spoiler for:
Typically when you run Game.exe without the RTP installed, an error message will pop up and state that fact before it then terminates. Although one part of this standard check can be alleviated by copying 'RGSS202E.dll' into the base directory of the game, the error message that the VX RTP is not installed will still pop up.

It turns out that all that VX needs is the creation of a single registry key which points the game to the RTP path, although this path does not need to even be correct, just so long as the key is present at the start-up of the program and 'RGSS202E.dll' is locatable. Instead of relying on the end user to import a registry file, I have created a customized version of the PortableApps.com launcher so that it automatically sets the necessary key on start up (and removes it after it closes). The launcher program also keeps a record of game settings changed via the [F1] configuration screen, as well as allowing the game creator to set initial settings such as full screen on start.
< Instructions - Basic >
- Step 1 -
Spoiler for:
Before we go any further, please make certain that if you are using any files from the RMVX RTP that you copy them to the corresponding directory within your project, otherwise your game will terminate after displaying an error of which file that it is missing. Also take into consideration that unless you have made custom changes within the script of your game, you should always have the following files within your Graphics/System folder at the bare minimum :

Code: [Select]
GameOver.png
IconSet.png
MessageBack.png
Shadow.png
TileA1.png
TileA2.png
TileA3.png
TileA4.png
TileA5.png
TileB.png
TileC.png
TileD.png
TileE.png
Title.png
Window.png

If you use the default battle system or another battle system that uses the default graphics, you will also want to include these files as well :

BattleFloor.png
BattleStart.png

Also, if you use the default balloon icons, you will need to include that file too :

Balloon.png
- Step 2 -
Spoiler for:
After you have made sure that you have all of the graphic, music and sound files that you are currently using within your project folder, download the 'PortableVX.zip' file and unpack it to any directory. Next, copy your 'Audio', 'Data' and 'Graphics' folders along with 'Game.exe' and 'Game.ini' files into the App\Game folder which was created when you extracted the data from the 'PortableVX.zip' file.

NOTE : This process works just as well for those of you who compress your game. If this is the case, copy the 'Audio' folder with the 'Game.exe', 'Game.ini' and 'Game.rgss2a' file.
- Step 3 -
Spoiler for:
NOTE : As of version 1.2 the following step is no longer neccessary. When you run 'PortableVX.exe' it will automatically make the required changes to your 'Game.ini' file.

The only thing that you will need to do to complete the setup is open your 'Game.ini' in Notepad and edit the 'RTP=' key under '[Game]' to read 'RTP=PortableVX'. After you have finished that edit, save 'Game.ini'.

Now you should be able to run the 'PortableVX.exe' in the root directory and your game should run without the need for your users to install the RTP or manually add registry keys to get around the error.

< Advanced Topics >
- Editing PortableVX Splash Screen -
Spoiler for:
Within the 'App\AppInfo\Launcher' folder you will find a file named 'splash.jpg'. Simply change the contents of this graphic to anything that you wish, although its dimensions should be no larger or smaller than they currently are.
- Disabling PortableVX Splash Screen -
Spoiler for:
Within the 'App\AppInfo\Launcher\PortableVX.ini' file you will need to edit the 'DisableSplashScreen=' to equal 'true'. After doing this, save the 'PortableVX.ini' and move it to the root directory where 'PortableVX.exe' is located.
- Changing Saved Registry Settings -
Spoiler for:
If you would like to have your game start and go full screen, open the 'Data\settings\Game.reg' file in Notepad. You will need to edit the '"LaunchInFullScreen"=' to equal 'dword:00000001'. After doing this, save the 'Game.reg'.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:45:43 PM by Exhydra »

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 83
Look at me, runnin' and all
Project of the Month winner for August 2009
Hell yeah, I've been waiting for this a VERY, VERY long time. Fantastic work, rep+. Now I'll test it. :D
  - 

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Let me know how it goes. I've tested it over a few machines which did not have the RTP installed, but real world testing always seems to bring up new problems, I suppose.

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although Portable apps doesn't work with windows 7, at least most of the pcs in school is windows xp :DD

Rep:
Level 82
PortableVX should now work with Windows 7 and Vista. I uploaded the 1.1 version to the original post ... let me know how it works out.

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 82
Eliminated the third step and updated Portable VX to version 1.2

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5