RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Charsets as Battlers - does not work because of transparent backgrounds

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RMRK Junior
First of all, what I planned to do: I didn't like those enemy pictures and as the battle system I use shows your actors' as characters, I thought about just cutting enemy charsets so that you just have a front view of the enemy.

That works perfectly with pictures that have a colored background - but not with the type of pictures RMVX exports. They all have this png-like transparent background and whatever program I use to cut those charsets, they always end up looking differently, like, being completely transparent instead of having transparent background or having some additional color around them which wasn't there before.

So, I wanted to know if anyone knows how to deal with this problem. Is there probably a working method to cut pictures with transparent backgrounds without changing the background? Or is there a script that directly uses characters as enemy battlers? I do not want animated battlers because that mostly looks a bit odd or - if it doesn't - seems to be really much work.

Thanks in advance!

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I'll fix it :) bring me an example of the pictures you want to use and I'll make them VX compatible :3

RMRK Junior
Import for example this sprite into RMVX as a battler and look at the preview. Some color from the background remains on the picture.
This at first was a whole charset with a transparent background. I cut this one sprite out of the picture and made the background one-colored.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
This is the hard way, it would be much easier to start with the character set with transparency

RMRK Junior
and what do you do with it exactly?
I don't want someone to cut all those character sets I want to use, that's a lot of work :D
I'd like to know how to do that myself...

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
Like I said, it would be much easier if you started with the image with the transparent background.
Just open it in an image editor that supports transparency (pretty much anything besides MS PAINT), select one cell, crop, save.

I used GIMP. Opened the image you posted, erased the background. Then captured (eyedropper) the dark blue color near the edge of the image, selected the whole image to prevent drawing in the background, and gradually shaded the edges to get a matching blueish color (or get rid of the yellow from  the background).  Then I did the same with the red areas.   As you can see, it didn't turn out perfect, and would take a bunch more time.

Which image editor are you using?   Can you post the original character set with the transparency?