RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX] Question from a total newbie

Rep: +0/-0Level 70
RMRK Junior
Hey, complete newbie here with like no programming experience.  So I'm going to need a little patience please...

I want to create an intro wherein the opening menu fades out, and after a second a box of the character appears: "Where...am I...?"  It then fades in and out a couple times, does a little more text (including perhaps a naming bar), and then puts control in the character's hands.  I've got somewhat of an idea of how to do all that - except for the part where the intro actually starts, of course.  Can anyone give me some pointers, and tell me where to start?

I may post further questions here as I get further into the creation phase.

Rep:
Level 71
Entity Humanoid Interface
What you wanna do is fairly simple. Since you said you have an idea to do most of the command except how to actually start the event, I will just mention about this. They are easy as well, just remember:

- When you want to have an event that starts immediately when the character enter the map (in this case, start the game), the event has to be an Autorun Event.
In order to make it so, when you create an event, in the below left, there is a Trigger option, choose Autorun here.
- After you finish the event, if you leave an autorun event like that normally, it will loop on and on again until forever. In order to turn off an autorun event, you should add this at the end of the event:
Control Self Switch, Operate Switch A On
Then on the upper part of the event creating page, choose New Event Page, then on the left side, tick Self Switch.

For starters, I recommend you tinker around more with event before attempting to make a game (all the options that the event creating has to offer, since they are there for a reason :) ). You should practice with Switch and Varible, since they are completely essential to making just any game. Tutorials on that should be found in the Tutorial section, so feel free to take a look  ^-^

Good luck
I support \\(>O<)b

RMRK Junior
Thank you.  I figured out how to do events that turn themselves off after the first use, but the autorun thing escaped me.
*tries*
...okay, now after the event's final text, it freezes when I try to continue...
*tries again, erasing something he'd done earlier*
And now it works.  Thanks again!

EDIT: New problem.  I created four events that should all disappear when one is triggered.  They cover the whole path.  So...if I try to get them to all disappear, by linking them to the same switch being on and then turning it on, it freezes...what'd I screw up?  If you need code, just tell me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:25:01 AM by Machaeus »

Rep:
Level 71
I think I would need to see the codes to provide any help :)  If there is any other autorun/parallel process event in the same map (unlikely) then it might interfere too :/
I support \\(>O<)b

RMRK Junior
Code: [Select]
Page 1:
Text: "blah blah blah"
Control Switches: [0001:MonsterBorder] = ON

Page 2:
Conditions: Switch [0001:MonsterBorder] is ON
(nothing)

This a close enough representation?

Rep:
Level 71
Seriously, with a "representation" like that you can wait until next next RPG Maker was out and no one can provide any help. If you are looking for help on your event, be as detailed as possible (I even included that it would help if you include any other autorun/parallel event in the same map which might intefere) because, maybe you don't realize it, but I can't read your mind :(
I support \\(>O<)b

RMRK Junior
My mistake...sorry.

I didn't have any other paralells or autoruns.  I still don't, if that helps.  And I'm not sure how detailed you want me to be...I tried copypasting the code from the event and nothing.  Am I supposed to write the whole thing, by hand?  :(

Rep:
Level 71
No silly.
The Print Screen button on your keyboard is there for something xD
Print Screen your event, paste it on MsPaint, upload it somewhere then post the link and I will take a look for you :D
All the event that might relate to why your game freeze, and if an event has more than one page, then screenshot all the pages as well :)
I support \\(>O<)b

RMRK Junior
...I always forget that's there...mostly because I never got it to work when I was younger.  Thank you again for your patience.

Spoiler for:

Is this enough to tell me?

EDIT: ...looking at the pictures now, I notice that page 2 is "Action Button".  Is that what I need to change?

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, I tried that.  It worked.  I can't believe I missed that.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:45:42 PM by Machaeus »

Sorry to be an ass but I could not help but post here to point out that it is not code.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
Event coding is not code then?

Welcome to the forums Machaeus and if you need any more help let us know - we'll be happy to help =)