RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RMXP] - Looping custom music (again...)

Rep:
Level 71
Current project: Legend of Chaos (RMXP)
EDIT #1: By a good point made by Welfare-Daddy Pacman, I should mention that this regards a battle theme, rather then a map theme.

I know that many topics around the internet have been made just for this already, but before you take your opinion, please hear me out.

For weeks, almost months even, have I searched through the internet for a way to loop my custom music in RMXP. Although it loops music automatically, it does so from the very beginning to the very end. What I want however is an intro, followed by a piece of music that loops on forever.
What I need is a detailed description on how to do it. From what I already know, RMXP only recognises loop points in the WAV, OGG and MIDI formats. MIDI currently isn't an option, so I have to loop either a WAV file, or an OGG file. I have Audacity, so converting the file is no problem.
I've recently downloaded Wavosaur to determine loop points in the song, yet these don't seem to be recognised by RMXP. I also somehow can't test out whether they work-- Even with the loop button on, the song keeps playing until the end, despite me having changed the loop points.
A third program I know of is FMOD. I never got this to work however, as I could never find the .exe file to actually start it...

For reference, the song I want to loop can be found with this link.

Could anybody please help me out with this issue?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:53:17 PM by Leophard »

Progression
Story: 13%
Characters: 25%
Classes: 25%
Map: 0%
Demo: 0%

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
1. Figure out exactly how long your intro is in seconds.
2. Convert that into frames (60 to a second)
3. In the map you want the intro to play in, place an autorun event to turn on a specific switch. Then turn on self-switch A in the event, make a new blank page set to self-switch A.
4. In a parallel process event, set the trigger switch to that switch you just made, play your precious intro piece, then place a wait command for the amount of frames it goes for.
5. After the wait, start playing your actual piece, then turn OFF the trigger switch.
6. Don't turn on that switch again.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 71
1. Figure out exactly how long your intro is in seconds.
2. Convert that into frames (60 to a second)
3. In the map you want the intro to play in, place an autorun event to turn on a specific switch. Then turn on self-switch A in the event, make a new blank page set to self-switch A.
4. In a parallel process event, set the trigger switch to that switch you just made, play your precious intro piece, then place a wait command for the amount of frames it goes for.
5. After the wait, start playing your actual piece, then turn OFF the trigger switch.
6. Don't turn on that switch again.

Although I'm sure that this would work in map themes, the problem is that I want to loop a battle theme. More specific, a boss battle theme-- This means that I have to start the battle myself through an event trigger. This makes it impossible to use this system.

Any other ideas? I appreciate any help that anybody can give me!

Progression

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Ah. That would have been helpful had you posted it in the OP.
The way I would do that, is I would use Sibelius (because that's what I use for music) to cobble with the amount of times the music is repeated. I'm not sure how to do that with the programs you mentioned, so I'm afraid you're on your own if you don't have Sibelius.

Rep:
Level 71
Well, considering that Sibelius requires me to either buy the program or use a Demo for a limited amount of time, I'd first like to know how this program works. Is it able to determine exactly at which points the music file is supposed to loop, and is RMXP instantly capable of tracking these points?

Perhaps a short guide would be handy, or perhaps a link to one that's been written before.  :)

Progression

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
I wouldn't bother getting Sibelius. But since you asked, it records the music in measures which you can tamper with and make more precise. However, XP would not be able to read it, but fortunately at the press of a button you can convert the file into MIDI, OGG, and a lot of other things. I feel like I should be in the poster board now.
So really, just find a less expensive way of doing this. Or, if you'd like, I could edit it in Sibelius for you and give it back to you in a file XP could read. I'd have to do that tomorrow though.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
A cheaper way of doing this is to just use an ME when you're going into battle. You'll still have to look at trimming though to get the timing right. I use Audacity for this type of thing.

Rep:
Level 71
So really, just find a less expensive way of doing this. Or, if you'd like, I could edit it in Sibelius for you and give it back to you in a file XP could read. I'd have to do that tomorrow though.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass. I'm really trying to do it myself, so I may be able to do it more often in the future.  :)

A cheaper way of doing this is to just use an ME when you're going into battle. You'll still have to look at trimming though to get the timing right. I use Audacity for this type of thing.

Do you mean that I should add an ME as intro? Because I don't think that's going to work well... The intro is quite long, so the real battle music would play right through the intro.

Progression

Rep:
Level 71
Tear Down the Wall!
You know, I am interested in the same thing.  I'm wondering if it could be done in scripting.  I don't know but I would like to be able to do this for my battles as well. I'll watch this thread and try to help out and learn at the same time.

BTW, I have Sibelius. I'm using it for my music as well.  I use repeats in it but I am opposed to MIDI so I am trying to loop audio mp3 files.  This really seems like a scripting function. Call a function that plays the opening song once when the battle begins and at the millisecond that the song ends call the regular function that repeats the the song you want to repeat.  Of course it won't be that simple. This is just generic scripting thought.  I don't know if Ruby works like that or not.  I haven't had the energy to study Ruby yet. 

So I'll look into this as well.

EDIT: My findings so far...
This can be done in RMVX, not XP, :( :-[  I tried since I have both.
You need Audacity, and winVorbis, the tutorial will guide.
http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46547.0
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:44:04 PM by RMVXP2000 »
coming soon to a pc near you

Rep:
Level 71
EDIT: My findings so far...
This can be done in RMVX, not XP, :( :-[  I tried since I have both.
You need Audacity, and winVorbis, the tutorial will guide.
http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46547.0

I'm afraid I only have RMXP, not RMVX. I suppose it can be useful for people who do have RMVX, though. Thanks for the information.  :)

Does anybody else have some help or advice to give me?

Progression

Rep:
Level 71
[Sorry for the double post / bump]

I looked into this some more, and I found a method that worked. Unfortunately, there's still the short amount of time it takes to switch between the songs, in which it plays nothing... This makes it sound a bit glitched. I already tried doing this with both OGG and MP3 files, but I keep having this issue.
Is there any way to fix that, or is this the best I'm going to get?  :P

Progression

Rep: +0/-0Level 65
RMRK Junior
I apologise for the Necro, but for future reference (and visitors),

For MIDIs, go to where you want it to loop back to (not the beginning, but after the intro)
Insert a MIDI event b06f. If you don't know how to do that, Google is you friend :)
That will loop the song (MIDIs only) back to that point after the song has finished

But I cant provide a solution to the WAV/OGG/MP3 dilemma.
Sorry :\