RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Slightly Sped Up

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Lately I've noticed TV and DVD rips occasionally seem to be sped up a tiny bit. Like this one time I got a rip of Crank, and I noticed a very small difference in the speed in which Chelios did things. (Because I've seen the movie so many times I could pick up on that.) When I watched it with my DVD player at the same time, the ripped version gradually got further ahead until it was more than two minutes ahead.

The same thing happened with Scott Pilgrim recently.

How um... is there a way to know how much of my media has this problem? I'd like to make sure none of my anime is like this.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Perhaps it's not the files being played, but the program playing them? I'm much more willing to believe it's the program interpreting the file that is the source of issue.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Lately I've been using Media Player Classic. I suppose I could try it on VLC.

Here's the thing though. When tested along side-by-side with a DVD, the video was a certain amount of seconds ahead at the same time stamp as the DVD, and then it got increasingly further at the same time stamps. It just seems to me that if it was the player, then moving to individual timestamps would re-center the video where it was supposed to be at those stamps.

EDIT: Just tested it in VLC. Same result.

Also, the Crank one was on my iPod. I really wish it was the player at fault, but unfortunately it looks like it's the video file.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:44:25 AM by Animefan »

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Personally I don't really see this as being a problem, though. You're measuring seconds here- the only way to be absolutely sure was to compare both side by side. It would seem to me then that the enjoyability of the product is intact regardless.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Yeah, but I have to have my media exactly how the creators put it out. I believe in leaving art in its intended state. Bleeping curse words from comedy specials is one thing, but I never watch a full-length movie on TV because they've removed parts of it. If I'm seeing a film or anime, especially for the first time, it has to be exactly how it's supposed to be. It can't be sped up, slowed down, or altered in the slightest. Other than dubs and redone openings/closings of course. I don't know if ya could call it OCD or what, but that's just the way I am.

Looks like there really isn't a way to find these things out except by side-by-side testing. So it looks like that's what I'll have to do. Thanks for tryin' anyway. At least I can rule out one cause.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Other than dubs and redone openings/closings of course.

That's pretty selective. I don't want any changes made to it, oh, except they can change the language if they want.

You make a good point about viewing art in it's intended state, etc, but a little bit out of sync is no problem, provided the audio and video match up, it won't even be noticeable.

It's all relative anyway, if the director choose to have one part slower than the rest, it'll still be just as much slower than the rest if it's all sped up anyway.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Why do you care if it's a tiny bit faster? And all the audio is still synced?

You probably have a PAL release, whereas American DVDs use NTSC. Movies are recorded at 24 frames per second. For NTSC display (30FPS, 60 interlaced frames) they do all kinds of weird stuff. For PAL display, they just speed up the video and corresponding audio from 24 to 25 FPS.

I prefer to watch all my shows and movies a little faster. Newer versions of VLC perform time stretching, so it's easy. Play a video in VLC and press the ] key a few times.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 76
~I am your worst nightmare~
2010 Most Immature Member
I agree I use VLC alot for most thing's now I used to use Nero Showtime alot for DVD playback...
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel

I prefer to watch all my shows and movies a little faster. Newer versions of VLC perform time stretching, so it's easy. Play a video in VLC and press the ] key a few times.

Its weird to me that you like that. I've accidentally bumped that key before, and it was really annoying.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I watch TV shows usually at around 1.3 - 1.4x. I speed-watched all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 at around 1.7x speed, [hearty laughter]. You can still follow the dialogue fine.

It's so creepy to then watch it back at 1.0x speed after getting used to faster speed, they talk so slow. It also makes the low 24fps that movies use (1.20x usually) remarkably obvious.
bringing sexy back

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I watch TV shows usually at around 1.3 - 1.4x. I speed-watched all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 at around 1.7x speed, [hearty laughter]. You can still follow the dialogue fine.

It's so creepy to then watch it back at 1.0x speed after getting used to faster speed, they talk so slow. It also makes the low 24fps that movies use (1.20x usually) remarkably obvious.

Roph, I Fucking love you! I never thought of doing that, and that would be brilliant for watching my Dr. Who or, more likely, Scrubs... YAY! Anyways...

Yeah, this is the first time I had ever thought of stuff like that...

If all else fails, use a video editing program and stretch the video lengths to match!
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91

THIS, the world moves too slow at 1.0x.

INB4 animefan starts seeing subliminals that arnt there
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:40:11 PM by ahref »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Man, you kids these days have no patience. Even with the post mtv smash cuts, its still not fast enough for you.