RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Apple dropping Java support

Rep:
Level 83
sucks for Mac users.

Not the whole article.
First Flash, now Java?

In a quiet update yesterday, Apple indicated that its support for Java on Macs isn't long for this world. Apple released an updated version of Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, but warned that they won't be doing that again:

As of the release of Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3, the version of Java that is ported by Apple, and that ships with Mac OS X, is deprecated.

This means that the Apple-produced runtime will not be maintained at the same level, and may be removed from future versions of Mac OS X. The Java runtime shipping in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, will continue to be supported and maintained through the standard support cycles of those products.

In other words: Apple is discouraging the use of Java on its computers for the future, with the strong hint that it's going to stop supporting it altogether.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20020338-260.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=CircuitBreaker

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
SOON THE FUTURE WILL RUN ON THE ULTIMATE PERFECT QUICKTIME WHICH WILL HAVE NO FLAWS
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 83
Obviously. And Macs will dominate the market, and will never have any problems with them.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Quicktime doesn't even recognize tempo changes in MIDI files.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 83
Apple is dropping MIDI file support then.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
That means no more Garage Band or Logic! It's all part of Apple's diabolical plan to transition from computer sales to furniture sales.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I seriously just cannot see where Jobs is going with this thing at all.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
It's so people don't give things away for free. This way, they can charge you for stupid little games.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
While that sucks, we have to at least acknowledge that the guy ain't dumb as far as getting paid for every single thing he does/sells/looks at sideways. On the other hand, we live in the land of "gimmie it free", so this may be bad for sales. Hmmm.
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
This isn't a big deal at all.

Windows doesn't come with Java pre-installed, you have to download the SDK and Runtime from Sun.  This just means you'll have to do the same with OSX, since Apple won't be writing their own Java stuff anymore.

They aren't saying NO MORE JAVA ON OSX, they're saying "We're not writing our own Java runtime anymore"

edit: from the end of the article:

In the end, this is kind of like the Flash decision. Apple doesn't ship it, but Adobe does, and other companies besides Apple will continue to use it. Similarly, just because Apple is not supporting Java doesn't "kill" Java--when it dies is really up to Oracle.

Interesting that you only cut half the article into your post.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:02:07 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 83
Interesting that I posted this forever ago, and also, that I am lazy and didn't feel like copying the whole thing.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
it looks extremely biased to copy just that portion of it, ending with the extremely strong statement "Apple doesn't want Java" without taking into account the nature of java, and other operating systems entirely.  :)

Rep:
Level 96
Namkcor, wouldn't saying that OSX doesn't support java mean that after some time, it will be unable to run java altogether? I know windows has to install the SDK, but it seems to me that Mac is saying "Java will be fine without us", rather than "You can use it if you want to but you have to do all the work".

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
From what I know, Apple was always behind Oracle on Java. This is for the best. Oracle won't let Java vanish off the Mac platform, just like they won't let it vanish off the Windows or Linux platform.

And Apple's still contributing.

Jon over at Stencyl (StencylWorks is a Java application) was initially concerned with the deprecation, but now there's no reason to be.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/11/12openjdk.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:44:18 PM by Irock »

Rep:
Level 96
Alright, that clears it up. So what was the point of them making this announcement at all? "Oh, users have to install it themselves now." Sooooooo what?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Exactly my point Arrow.  The topic was created on a false pretense.

Rep:
Level 96
Well yeah, but I mean, what's the point of Apple saying shit about this at all?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Well yeah, but I mean, what's the point of Apple saying shit about this at all?

It was a quiet update, namely something they put in a recent OS update for people who cared to read, but not a huge announcement.  They didn't actively publicize it, but they wrote it down as to keep record of it, and to notify the people who actually take the time to read update notes.

Rep:
Level 96
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I fully 'get it' now. And I feel pretty dumb for posting in this topic...